1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Long lasting wax/sealant

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Kjsayers, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Jul 13, 2008 at 5:43 PM
    Kjsayers

Kjsayers [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma D-Cab LB 4x4 Black
    I am a long time user of carnuba wax. I love the results but never really payed attention to the durability and how long it lasts. I understand that it may last 30 days if your lucky. I don't know alot about the new synthetic products. When I was younger and had the time to wax my vehicles every month. Now I have a new baby and work 50 hours a week. I still love for my truck to look nice (it's black) but really don't have the time to devote to wax it all the time. I have tried the Turtle Wax ICE and have mixed opinions about it. Easy to apply and remove and looks great. However it does not seem to last very long. Who has used other products that is easy to apply and lasts for months?

2. Jul 13, 2008 at 5:57 PM
    tfc946

tfc946 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 White DCSB TRD OR 4X4
    try the turtle wax ice paste. it seems to last much longer and has a slicker finish.

3. Jul 13, 2008 at 6:05 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Klasse is pretty good. Never use any of Turtle Wax crap.

4. Jul 13, 2008 at 8:05 PM
    Anthony

Anthony San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5
    Nfabs Afe Pro Dry UWS linex'd toolbox
    a wax wont last nearly as long as a sealant... but like you mentioned, the trade off is that a sealant doesnt give the deep shine and "glow" like a carnuba wax.

Cant go wrong wtih any sealant really, I personally like the Optimum Poli-Seal, its super easy to use.
    Your best bet is to do a 2 step polish before applying the sealant, a sealant typically wont "fill in" the swirls like a wax does (Klasse is the only exception I think at least from my exp.). I like the poorboys polish SR line up IMO, their sealants are good as well.

they also havea sealant with carnuba... it shines pretty good but still not quite as good as a wax.

5. Jul 14, 2008 at 6:43 AM
    Kjsayers

Kjsayers [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma D-Cab LB 4x4 Black
    With the Klasse don't you have to let it set overnight to get the best results?

6. Jul 14, 2008 at 5:59 PM
    Anthony

Member:
    Vehicle:
    No... if you do multiple layers it needs to sit about 8 hours in between coats.

7. Jul 14, 2008 at 6:28 PM
    kilo

kilo Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
  8. Jul 28, 2008 at 12:43 PM
    Bassetdad

Bassetdad What if God Smoked Cannabis

Member:
    Harrison, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2001 De-Badged SR5 Access Cab 2.7 / 5m
    Access Tononu Cover AFE Pro-Dry S Drop-in Filter American Mag Wheels Bilstein 5100's Black Billet Grill Clear Taillights Perma-Tech sprayed Kennesaw Mountain Rear Bumper Michelin Tires PIAA Driving Lights PIAA Headlights Piaa Tail Light Bulbs Tinted Windows – 50% Toytech AAL URD Short Shifter Tranny - Mobil 1 Engine - Mobil 1 Custom Three Bike In Bed Rack New Toyota Undercoated Frame Clear LED 3rd Brake Light
    Can you first apply a coat of carnuba wax, then afterwards apply a sealant to the paint? Getting the benefits of both?

9. Jul 28, 2008 at 1:14 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    ^ No, from what I understand it's the sealant then the wax to finish it off.

10. Jul 28, 2008 at 1:23 PM
    Banchi94

Banchi94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    2008 Indigo Blue TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
    I believe its one or the other. Once you clean the surface, use clay bar, polish it, then wax OR seal it. There may be some boutique brands available that have the qualities of both wax and sealant, but I don't think you can do it yourself unless you have a chemical lab in your garage...but what do I know, I'm an electrical engineer.

A good sealant you can get at any store is Mequire's NXT 2.0. Should last about 6 months before you reapply. While carnuba gets you the deep wet look, the sealant gives you more of a glassy look.

11. Jul 28, 2008 at 2:28 PM
    Anthony

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ideally, after you wash, clay, polish... youd want to use the sealant as your best protection for you prepped paint. you then could use a wax on top of that... but it all depends on the product you use.
    some are "layerable" as some arent

12. Jul 28, 2008 at 3:02 PM
    cleanTRDmachine

cleanTRDmachine watch the meat

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Q-Town, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    tint gray camo seat covers debadged color matched grille surround off of 06 TRD sport grillecraft black mesh grille Hella 500's demudflapped Toyota rear leaf TSB (first edition) 265/75/16 BFG AT TA KO's Flowmaster Super 40 #952445 Maglite Mod AntennaX 13in antenna Painted Lower Valance Vision X H4 Xenon headlights Halo Solaris H10 foglights Velocity Offroad 2.5 leveling kit (removed) Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers Rocky Mounts Clutch SD bike mount 4ft combo lock cable for bed extender Stage I interior LED's Toytec 1.5" AALs Extang Trifold Signature Series Bed Cover Reese front mounted tow hook Icon Stage 1 Suspension
  13. Jul 28, 2008 at 3:10 PM
    Banchi94

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    ToyTec 3" basic lift

I would agree with you on this one. I used to use Zaino on my 2001 black Eclipse...nice mirror finish! I'm going with Meguire's for the truck this time around.

14. Jul 29, 2008 at 4:19 PM
    atvking

atvking Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma PreRunnsr SR5
    Chrome Nerf Bars,Aluminum Billet Grille, K&N Series 77 Cold Air Intake ,SR5 Black & Gray Seat Covers, Flow Master 70 Series Exhaust with Dual Exhaust
    I use Formula 113 http://www.formula113.com/kits.html Great product. I put on one coat of the wax, then I use Bead X to make it really shine. Alot of classic car owners swear by it. You can wax the whole truck at once. I have used in the sun without any problems.

15. Aug 5, 2008 at 8:41 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
  16. Aug 5, 2008 at 9:10 AM
    Banchi94

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    ToyTec 3" basic lift

I've used Zaino products when I had my black 01 Eclipse. It was a pretty good product and the mirror shine was amazing. The cool thing, too, is that they have an accelerant, so you don't have to wait too long between coats. One thing I really didn't like too much is that you have to apply and buff by hand. So, if you have time, then this is a great product, but if you want to use a buffer, you probably need to look elsewhere.

One more thing, I really don't know how well this product protects from the sun. It was pretty good for shine, but I noticed that my paint started to oxidize after a year or two using this product. Granted, I live in CO, so we're much closer to the sun than anyone else. I use Meguire's products now.

17. Aug 5, 2008 at 9:27 AM
    tmantstud

tmantstud High Mileage Work

Member:
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma high mileage
    Bed liner, Polk db651s speakers, JVC head unit, Coverking custom saddle blanket seat cover
    I use Klasse all-in-one to clean and seal. Then I apply Klasse high gloss sealand. And finally put a coat of blitz wax over everything. It a really nice job cleaning and protecting the paint and by addinf the Klasse gloss sealer it lasts alot longer between detailing.

Products Discussed in

To Top