Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Long lasting wax/sealant

Old 07-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
Kjsayers is on a distinguished road
Kjsayers's Tacoma Gallery
Long lasting wax/sealant

I am a long time user of carnuba wax. I love the results but never really payed attention to the durability and how long it lasts. I understand that it may last 30 days if your lucky. I don't know alot about the new synthetic products. When I was younger and had the time to wax my vehicles every month. Now I have a new baby and work 50 hours a week. I still love for my truck to look nice (it's black) but really don't have the time to devote to wax it all the time. I have tried the Turtle Wax ICE and have mixed opinions about it. Easy to apply and remove and looks great. However it does not seem to last very long. Who has used other products that is easy to apply and lasts for months?
Old 07-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
tfc946 is on a distinguished road
tfc946's Tacoma Gallery
try the turtle wax ice paste. it seems to last much longer and has a slicker finish.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Klasse is pretty good. Never use any of Turtle Wax crap.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
a wax wont last nearly as long as a sealant... but like you mentioned, the trade off is that a sealant doesnt give the deep shine and "glow" like a carnuba wax.

Cant go wrong wtih any sealant really, I personally like the Optimum Poli-Seal, its super easy to use.
Your best bet is to do a 2 step polish before applying the sealant, a sealant typically wont "fill in" the swirls like a wax does (Klasse is the only exception I think at least from my exp.). I like the poorboys polish SR line up IMO, their sealants are good as well.

they also havea sealant with carnuba... it shines pretty good but still not quite as good as a wax.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Kjsayers is on a distinguished road
Kjsayers's Tacoma Gallery
With the Klasse don't you have to let it set overnight to get the best results?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjsayers View Post
With the Klasse don't you have to let it set overnight to get the best results?
No... if you do multiple layers it needs to sit about 8 hours in between coats.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Try RejeX. http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html Ihave never used this but have used 3 of the other products they make and swear by them!!
Old 07-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
^ No, from what I understand it's the sealant then the wax to finish it off.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
Banchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud of

Name: Ron
Banchi94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
^ No, from what I understand it's the sealant then the wax to finish it off.
I believe its one or the other. Once you clean the surface, use clay bar, polish it, then wax OR seal it. There may be some boutique brands available that have the qualities of both wax and sealant, but I don't think you can do it yourself unless you have a chemical lab in your garage...but what do I know, I'm an electrical engineer.

A good sealant you can get at any store is Mequire's NXT 2.0. Should last about 6 months before you reapply. While carnuba gets you the deep wet look, the sealant gives you more of a glassy look.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
ideally, after you wash, clay, polish... youd want to use the sealant as your best protection for you prepped paint. you then could use a wax on top of that... but it all depends on the product you use.
some are "layerable" as some arent
Old 07-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #13
Banchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanTRDmachine View Post
http://www.zainostore.com/

...One of the best, all kinds of products too

I would agree with you on this one. I used to use Zaino on my 2001 black Eclipse...nice mirror finish! I'm going with Meguire's for the truck this time around.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #14
atvking is on a distinguished road

atvking's Tacoma Gallery
I use Formula 113 http://www.formula113.com/kits.html Great product. I put on one coat of the wax, then I use Bead X to make it really shine. Alot of classic car owners swear by it. You can wax the whole truck at once. I have used in the sun without any problems.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #15
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone heard about or used zaino bros?

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
Old 08-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
has anyone heard about or used zaino bros?

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

I've used Zaino products when I had my black 01 Eclipse. It was a pretty good product and the mirror shine was amazing. The cool thing, too, is that they have an accelerant, so you don't have to wait too long between coats. One thing I really didn't like too much is that you have to apply and buff by hand. So, if you have time, then this is a great product, but if you want to use a buffer, you probably need to look elsewhere.

One more thing, I really don't know how well this product protects from the sun. It was pretty good for shine, but I noticed that my paint started to oxidize after a year or two using this product. Granted, I live in CO, so we're much closer to the sun than anyone else. I use Meguire's products now.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #17
High Mileage Work
tmantstud is on a distinguished road

tmantstud's Tacoma Gallery
I use Klasse all-in-one to clean and seal. Then I apply Klasse high gloss sealand. And finally put a coat of blitz wax over everything. It a really nice job cleaning and protecting the paint and by addinf the Klasse gloss sealer it lasts alot longer between detailing.