Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

how to fix Foggy headlights

Old 09-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
chano87 is on a distinguished road
chano87's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy how to fix Foggy headlights

my headlights are super foggy dont know how to buff them or clean them so there transparent again any body know how?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I got the Meguir's Plastx (Spelling?) kit for mine. It comes with a buffing attachment for a drill, microfiber cloth and the polish compound. Mine weren't that bad but it made them look nice.

There are people who had great results with a 3M system and they say it's the best. It sounds like it involves a 3 step sanding/polishing process so if your lights are really bad it sounds like a better option.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Once you polish them, you need to spray them with a clear coat to protect them otherwise they are just going to fog up again in a few weeks.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I swear by that "GS-27" scratch remover-it works really well on plastic lenses too. You just swirl it around and then buff and the haze is removed. Those kits are nice too but GS-27 is only a few bucks. My headlights are like new.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Once you polish them, you need to spray them with a clear coat to protect them otherwise they are just going to fog up again in a few weeks.
he's right-or you can apply your car wax too.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
he's right-or you can apply your car wax too.
Car wax really doesn't do the job.

The headlights on my sisters honda civic fog up really bad, I polish them back to clear with 3m compound and my rotary buffer about once a month and then wax them but they still fog back up. She never has enough time for me to take them off and clear them.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
iSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
iSTIZO99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I got the Meguir's Plastx (Spelling?) kit for mine. It comes with a buffing attachment for a drill, microfiber cloth and the polish compound. Mine weren't that bad but it made them look nice.

There are people who had great results with a 3M system and they say it's the best. It sounds like it involves a 3 step sanding/polishing process so if your lights are really bad it sounds like a better option.
I can vouch on the 3M kit...used it on my wife's Jetta and it made them look like new. And after every wash I maintain it with that Meguir's PlastX.

Before:

After:
Old 09-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chano87 View Post
my headlights are super foggy dont know how to buff them or clean them so there transparent again any body know how?
What year is it? if you try buffing it and it still don't come out replacements are cheap that in on the 1st gens amusing you don't have a 2nd gen with fogged up head lights.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Car wax really doesn't do the job.

The headlights on my sisters honda civic fog up really bad, I polish them back to clear with 3m compound and my rotary buffer about once a month and then wax them but they still fog back up. She never has enough time for me to take them off and clear them.
Works great for me so I suspect the atmosphere by your sis is harsher than mine or something. Mine get waxed every 4 months with the rest of the truck with sealant glaze. They will never have a chance to haze here. The unfortunate drawback to owning vehicles with plastic headlights is they MUST be maintained and in accepting this and acting on it you will have clear ones. The GS-27 works with a plain old rag-I suggest you all try it By the way that 3M may be too harsh for those lenses and they are becoming porous.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #10
Black Hole Sun
tacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant future

Name: Forrest
tacoma92's Tacoma Gallery
Replacement bulbs is wat I did. I kno this sounds weird but I heard toothpaste and a buffer should clear them out.