Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Water spots

Old 09-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
U.S.M.C.
bowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: HQ BN Truck CO 2nd Marine Division, RS Salt lake city, 6th Marine Regiment, 7th Marine Regiment
bowzerdoo77's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to bowzerdoo77 Send a message via Skype™ to bowzerdoo77
Water spots

Ok i have a red tacoma and last night for the first time i forgot to move it out of the way of the sprinkllers, the water spots on it are alnmost impossible to get off. I wash my truck like 3 times a week and wax it more often than i should but I cant get them off my chrome or the paint. Anybody have any cool ways of what to use to get them off.. I know vinegar will take it off chrome, but im non washing my truck in that so any help would be cool
Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Try clay first. If that doesn't do it, you'll need to polish.

In either case, you'll need to wax again.

Also note that the longer that stuff sits on your paint, the greater chance it will 'etch' (eat) your paint. Sometimes when you remove hard water spots, you still see a ring where the spot was. That is missing paint. Similar to what bird poop does.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:58 AM   #4
Tojo is on a distinguished road

Tojo's Tacoma Gallery
megs quick wax works great for removing water spots....easy to apply and easy to rub off.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
vinegar

Use a dilute mixture of vinegar. We have a bottle of 5% dilution and I poured about 2 cups of that in a bucket and diluted it even more. I rinsed the truck down and washed it with that mixture, then washed it really good with car soap then to be sure the vinegar didn't strip the wax I went ahead and waxed it. I think the vinegar actually takes water spots off better than a clay bar and is dirt cheap. I'll have to check it for 100% free spotting after the Alabama game
Old 09-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #6
trapguy is on a distinguished road
trapguy's Tacoma Gallery
duragloss makes a water spot remover spray that works great, spray on wipe off. there products really work well i been using them since 2007.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
U.S.M.C.
bowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: HQ BN Truck CO 2nd Marine Division, RS Salt lake city, 6th Marine Regiment, 7th Marine Regiment
bowzerdoo77's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to bowzerdoo77 Send a message via Skype™ to bowzerdoo77
where can you get it at?
Old 09-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
OneSexyFaJayJay has much to be proud ofOneSexyFaJayJay has much to be proud ofOneSexyFaJayJay has much to be proud ofOneSexyFaJayJay has much to be proud ofOneSexyFaJayJay has much to be proud ofOneSexyFaJayJay has much to be proud ofOneSexyFaJayJay has much to be proud ofOneSexyFaJayJay has much to be proud ofOneSexyFaJayJay has much to be proud of
Name: Jo
OneSexyFaJayJay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
try megs..ultimate quick detailer or ultimate quick wax...usually wetting and wiping will take them off..last resort is claying...then you have to polish and reapply wax
WOW thats a nice a$$$$$ truck!!!!!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
v8killerturbo4 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
v8killerturbo4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishAndWax.com View Post
Try clay first. If that doesn't do it, you'll need to polish.

In either case, you'll need to wax again.

Also note that the longer that stuff sits on your paint, the greater chance it will 'etch' (eat) your paint. Sometimes when you remove hard water spots, you still see a ring where the spot was. That is missing paint. Similar to what bird poop does.

Very true, doesn't take long either. Most of the time I've run across water spotting from hard water it has usually required buffing/polishing with a mild compound.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
Mike8016 is on a distinguished road
Mike8016's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered clay. I cant wait to get rid of those dam water spots.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #11
trapguy is on a distinguished road
trapguy's Tacoma Gallery
duragloss products are usually sold at car quest auto centers but i order online at duragloss.com i think shipping is still 5 dollars oer order of any size.
i have clayed spots off before also but the duragloss works better and faster, i think you will be satisfied.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8016 View Post
I just ordered clay. I cant wait to get rid of those dam water spots.
you didn't try using vinegar?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #13
Mike8016 is on a distinguished road
Mike8016's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
you didn't try using vinegar?
I haven't tried that. I will if the clay bar dosen't come tomorrow.