Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Color Match, Variations?

Old 09-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
tacoma NW is on a distinguished road

tacoma NW's Tacoma Gallery
Color Match, Variations?

I was told over time of shooting the same color, Toyota makes variations of the paint but still keep the same paint code. How do I find out which variation of paint I have?
Old 09-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was told over time of shooting the same color, Toyota makes variations of the paint but still keep the same paint code. How do I find out which variation of paint I have?
I believe the variation is determined by the model year of the truck.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #3

I am trying to order a canopy over the phone and the ARE sales man said there are different variations, and needed to see the truck; thatís not possible at this time. I have seen some canopies and trucks that don't match and my OCD couldn't take that.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
being a Leer dealer I know they use a Dupont vindicator system and the info can be found in their FAQ. Not sure if A.R.E uses a similiar system but here is LEER's info

"VINdicator is the name of the program LEER uses to identify paint color variants used by the truck manufacturers. Dupont Automotive Paints keeps detailed records of all the paint formulas and the variants that run in the truck plants throughout North America each day. We can access this data using the VIN number of your truck in the VINdicator system. Our paint shops can dial in the variant used on a particular truck using the VINdicator information. VINdicator is particularly useful and important with certain "tough color matches." Your LEER Dealer knows when it should be used. While no one can guarantee exact color matches, VINdicator is the best way for us to match the formula in use on the day your truck was built."
Old 09-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #5

This is great information, thank you.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
When my I had my dealer color match my grill surround he matched my variation (Impulse Red) by using a chip set, basically it looked like a paint book with several shades of impulse pearl on the cards...I had to have my truck there and the body shop had this guy who was the chip set master .....lol...but it worked the grill surround looked awesome

Maybe you can go to the dealer and have the guy with special paint cards match it? There were other numbers on the card.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
Just take your truck into a bodyshop, and they'll be able to tell you the variant. Keep in mind, silver is one of the toughest colours to match perfectly, especially when matching metal panels to plastic/fiberglass panels.