Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Does Toyota have paint bubble problems

Old 09-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
ThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
ThisGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Does Toyota have paint bubble problems

so i was washing the truck today and noticed some paint bubbles on the passenger rear door. I just bought it in May so im sure warranty will cover it but just want to know if anyone else has had this issue before? Does Toyota have paint issues often?

Old 09-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
chich2000 is on a distinguished road
chich2000's Tacoma Gallery
I dont have that problem (glad), but it sucks that you do. . I also have an 06 prius and no problems.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
From that picture, it almost looks like some work was done in that area.

Don't know it its just the photo or not, but you might take a close look for evidence of a repair there before you got it.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
ThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ThisGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTACOMA View Post
From that picture, it almost looks like some work was done in that area.

Don't know it its just the photo or not, but you might take a close look for evidence of a repair there before you got it.
really???
i would hope they would disclose that info on a brand new truck....i could see if it was used, but they would have to be pretty shady to do so on a new purchase.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuy View Post
really???
i would hope they would disclose that info on a brand new truck....i could see if it was used, but they would have to be pretty shady to do so on a new purchase.
I saw that it was a brand new truck before i posted, but we've seen it before. I've read here and elsewhere that they are supposedly allowed some degree of body repairs on a 'new' truck in the event they get damaged prior to sale, whether during shipping or on the lot.

Take a closer look, and from all angles. Could also just be the photo...
Old 09-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Take it back and insist they fix it!!!!

I had our dealership fix several scratches on my truck before I took possession. They also put a stupid dealer plate on the front (PA doesn't require front plates), so I made them fill & paint the front bumper to cover that up. Then, about 2 years later, that paint job bubbled up and I took it back and had them fix it again.

I'm such a hard ass....
Old 09-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Take it back and insist they fix it!!!!

I had our dealership fix several scratches on my truck before I took possession. They also put a stupid dealer plate on the front (PA doesn't require front plates), so I made them fill & paint the front bumper to cover that up. Then, about 2 years later, that paint job bubbled up and I took it back and had them fix it again.

I'm such a hard ass....
Ladies and Gentleman, the Janster!

'Hard ass' in a good way. Whats right is right, and bubbling paint on a new truck in not acceptible.

To the OP, the bubbling factored into my thinking work may have been done to it. In other words, possibly not the factory paint in that area.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
tommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud of
tommyxv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I saw that it was a brand new truck before i posted, but we've seen it before. I've read here and elsewhere that they are supposedly allowed some degree of body repairs on a 'new' truck in the event they get damaged prior to sale, whether during shipping or on the lot.

Your right, if it is under a certain dollar amount, then they do not have to disclose it. We all know it will always be under. At least that is what a Lemon Law lawyer told me.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

X2
Sucks but that's how it is.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #10

ThisGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
X2
Sucks but that's how it is.
oh no, thats not how it is.....ill be making a trip to the dealer very shortly to get it handled
Old 09-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
tommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud of
tommyxv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuy View Post
oh no, thats not how it is.....ill be making a trip to the dealer very shortly to get it handled
Just a word of advice from my past experience dealing with service depts. Don't go in all pissed off and demanding. Keep cool about it. Then go from there.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
tough to tell exactly what you've got going on there... it's hard to tell from the pic. I would think that the bubbles are most likely due to a re-paint.

If you can get a better pic, I'd be happy to look at it. (I manage a paint shop, so I've got a good idea of what we're looking at!)
Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
shagdue is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Name: Sam
shagdue's Tacoma Gallery
09 Tacoma Paint

Hey ya'll!

Just washed my 09 Tacoma and noticed major paint bubbling on lower panels!

Anyone else???

Good news. Under warranty. Bad news. I expect a runaround from dealer.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
jpaw30 is on a distinguished road
jpaw30's Tacoma Gallery
Just washed my 06 I bought used and noticed for the first time, dont know how I missed it that theres a bubble line down both doors near the bottom of the truck and the lower pillar of the door on both sides.

Cant believe I missed that and now I think Im screwed.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaw30 View Post
Just washed my 06 I bought used and noticed for the first time, dont know how I missed it that theres a bubble line down both doors near the bottom of the truck and the lower pillar of the door on both sides.

If it's what I'm thinking of it's called paint protection. The rocker panel area gets a bed liner like material added to protect it from rock dings.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaw30 View Post

It would seem you are talking about something other than what the OP was, as the textured area along the bottom is obviously there for added protection against chips.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
shagdue is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Name: Sam
shagdue's Tacoma Gallery
No Problem

Got back from Dealer. It is a paint/chip protectant undercoat. Service Manager even took me out to the lot to see new and used trucks with the same "rough" lower panel.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
If a NEW vehicle is damaged and repaired before purchase it has to be disclosed to the buyer by law.