LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

shorty antenna broke....help!!!

Old 09-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
ThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
ThisGuy's Tacoma Gallery
shorty antenna broke....help!!!

my shorty antenna broke and i cant get the damn thing out!!!! i tried to unscrew it with needlenose and it wont budge. It has 4 notches around the edge is there a tool i can get for that? any ideas would be great, satellite is good but im starting to miss Holmberg on KUPD
Old 09-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC the silver 4 notch thing is part of the truck not the antenna. Try unscrewing the black inside ring.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
ThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ThisGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
IIRC the silver 4 notch thing is part of the truck not the antenna. Try unscrewing the black inside ring.
i tried that and i couldnt get enough grip on it to make it budge. im pretty sure the black thing you see in the pic is the bottom of the antenna where it snapped off. im hoping i dont have to take the whole thing apart from the bottom
Old 09-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
One thing that might work it to take a screw driver that fits in the hole and glue it there so that you can just twist it out. I would think that some like hot glue would work.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #5

ThisGuy's Tacoma Gallery
now that just might work.......or just jamming something in there to get some leverage. ill try it out tomorrow thanks
Old 09-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
Blowin by em sideways
xroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ramon
xroller's Tacoma Gallery
do you have a pic of the snapped antenna? that base looks normal to me...
Old 09-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
militaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to behold

militaco's Tacoma Gallery
chopstick and glue
Old 09-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #8

ThisGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xroller View Post
do you have a pic of the snapped antenna? that base looks normal to me...
no it broke in the carwash. i dont remember what the normal base looks like but there are no threads in there so something is stuck. i think the antenna just snapped and the threaded adapter is stuck with the bottom of the antenna
Old 09-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Blowin by em sideways
xroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xroller's Tacoma Gallery
Well at the beginning there is no threads... the threads are pretty deep in the antenna base.... it slides in for a while before you hit threads..... I don't think you can see them.... Only thing I can think of is drill a hole in the bolt that is left and tap a star bit into the hole that you just drilled and twist it out.... I know the silver thing doesn't come out and the black portion I see doesn't come out either.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
Metal Cutter
zero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud of

Name: Will
zero4's Tacoma Gallery
How the hell did that happen? What kind of shorty did you have? The base of it looks hollow? I thought they were all solid except for the threads where you screw in the different adapters.

I was worried when I first got my shorty since it's solid. Didn't care of the antenna snapped, more worried about damage to the mount of fender. Never had an issue for years but now you got me worried.

If what I'm seeing really is that large of a hole, you could use a screw extractor to get that out. This is what I have: DEK10

Harbor Freight sells cheap ones that should work fine. Sears, Lowes, Home Depot should sell them individually too.

EDIT: Oh I'm too slow.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #11

ThisGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xroller View Post
Well at the beginning there is no threads... the threads are pretty deep in the antenna base.... it slides in for a while before you hit threads..... I don't think you can see them.... Only thing I can think of is drill a hole in the bolt that is left and tap a star bit into the hole that you just drilled and twist it out.... I know the silver thing doesn't come out and the black portion I see doesn't come out either.
oh i can see solid steel when i look in. looking over the edge down in there its only about a quarter inch deep until you hit steel so i assume what im looking at is the adapter that snapped in half. idk.....i wish i could remember what it looked like. it was a shorty brand antenna but it was like the 12 incher i think. i have a new one but its only 6 inches so i hope it doesnt happen again. some good ideas here tho.....enough to get me thinking anyway.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #12

ThisGuy's Tacoma Gallery
i need a pic of a stock antenna base if anyone has any???? that would help me know what im dealing with here
Old 09-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
Dont be stupid, its not smart.
SurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
SurfInferno's Tacoma Gallery
I had my antenna do the same thing, i got a diamond plated drill bit (problebly use any one) and lightly drill the top and i was able to unscrew it using the drillbit. The only thing is DO NOT use a lot of pressure, lightly set it on top first, if that doesnt work experiment with pressures.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #14
Blowin by em sideways

xroller's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.cravenspeed.com/products/...y-Antenna.html
Old 09-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #15
Blowin by em sideways

xroller's Tacoma Gallery
i'm the one with the bullet antenna on the website.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #16
Metal Cutter
zero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud of

Name: Will
zero4's Tacoma Gallery
Holy crap those are short. Look good but I don't see how they would even get decent reception.