1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3 M Double Stick tape

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by twfsa, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Oct 3, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    twfsa

twfsa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    I installed some bed rail cap's, cleaned the surface as instructed and now one end is coming loose any ideas on how to get the tape to release so to save the cap and replace the tape and try again.

[​IMG]

2. Oct 3, 2010 at 7:50 AM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    If it's tape similar to that used for your badges, you can use a fishing line to cut the soft part of the tape. Then you should be able to gently peel off the sticky part. You can probably use some Goo Gone or the like to clean it up.

3. Oct 3, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    twfsa

twfsa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    The tape is underneath the rail cap I thought maybe some heat would work (heat gun) I want to save the cap and re install it. There is no way to get fishing line under the cap to cut the tape.

4. Oct 3, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    MadeInMaine

MadeInMaine MadeInMaine

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Biloxi, MS
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    3m Industrial double sided tape is great stuff

it is amazing how much weight it will hold, and how strong a hold it will do

5. Oct 3, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    yamaha73

yamaha73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Royce
    Madera ranchos
    Vehicle:
    1997 4runner, 1980 Toyota pickup
    4Runner- wagoneer Dana 44 front lunchbox locker. Rear stock axle spooled. Beadlocks and 36s 3link rear, leaf front, dual transfer cases 1980 pickup- exo cage. Locked front and rear on 40s dual transfer cases. Custom paint job
    x2

this is wat i used to put my badges back on, and my mom used it to hold her front liscence plate on because she didnt want to drill holes in her front bumper and wen she got in an accident the tape still held the liscence plate on the bumper

6. Oct 3, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    fishing line is the only option I know of. Maybe 3M's website has some ideas.

7. Oct 3, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    I'd be afraid of using a heat gun because it might damage the cap...

Only thing that comes to mind at this moment is WD40. Use the spray tube to direct the spray under the loose end of the cap. Peel the cap up a little, spray, pull the cap, spray, etc. You follow me? I know it works on removing stickers and associated goo... good luck!

8. Oct 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    brians05taco

brians05taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Lafayette,La.
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner white debadged 4.0
    lifted, bedcover,BHLM, grill, etc...
    the chances of resticking after wd40 is near to none

9. Oct 3, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    Hmmm, not sure I agree with that assessment. Please state why you think so. Not a challenge to your knowlegde, just curious as to why you think this?

Maybe some of the guys that have debadged, painted, and reinstalled their badges will chime in. I've read where they've used WD40 to remove the goo after debadging. I don't see the problem if you wash it down with a good degreaser before reapplying.

Products Discussed in

To Top