Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

3 M Double Stick tape

Old 10-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
3 M Double Stick tape

I installed some bed rail cap's, cleaned the surface as instructed and now one end is coming loose any ideas on how to get the tape to release so to save the cap and replace the tape and try again.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
If it's tape similar to that used for your badges, you can use a fishing line to cut the soft part of the tape. Then you should be able to gently peel off the sticky part. You can probably use some Goo Gone or the like to clean it up.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
The tape is underneath the rail cap I thought maybe some heat would work (heat gun) I want to save the cap and re install it. There is no way to get fishing line under the cap to cut the tape.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
3m Industrial double sided tape is great stuff

it is amazing how much weight it will hold, and how strong a hold it will do
Old 10-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
yamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Royce
yamaha73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCaron View Post
3m Industrial double sided tape is great stuff

it is amazing how much weight it will hold, and how strong a hold it will do
x2

this is wat i used to put my badges back on, and my mom used it to hold her front liscence plate on because she didnt want to drill holes in her front bumper and wen she got in an accident the tape still held the liscence plate on the bumper
Old 10-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
Thermonuclear Protection
478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

478DblSport's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be afraid of using a heat gun because it might damage the cap...

Only thing that comes to mind at this moment is WD40. Use the spray tube to direct the spray under the loose end of the cap. Peel the cap up a little, spray, pull the cap, spray, etc. You follow me? I know it works on removing stickers and associated goo... good luck!
Old 10-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
brians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brian
brians05taco's Tacoma Gallery
the chances of resticking after wd40 is near to none
Old 10-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
Thermonuclear Protection
478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

478DblSport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brians05taco View Post
the chances of resticking after wd40 is near to none
Hmmm, not sure I agree with that assessment. Please state why you think so. Not a challenge to your knowlegde, just curious as to why you think this?

Maybe some of the guys that have debadged, painted, and reinstalled their badges will chime in. I've read where they've used WD40 to remove the goo after debadging. I don't see the problem if you wash it down with a good degreaser before reapplying.