1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Undercarriage Rust - What to do?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by BarkSlayer, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Oct 7, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    BarkSlayer

BarkSlayer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northwest Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Silver SR5 with 2.7 liter 5-speed stick
    Bed-Buddy motorcycle tie-down bar installed in headwall.
    Not sure if this is exactly a detailing question, but I need some advice, guys. I was crawling around under my '07 last night and noticed some surface rust here and there on various bosses, fittings, etc. on the frame - things like shock mounts and other brackets. It's not rotting out by any means, but the history of rusting frames on the Tacoma has me a little uneasy about where this condition may lead if left alone for too long.

I've used rust inhibitors in small bottles (from Turtle Wax if I recall) and that stuff seemed to work great. It mixes with light surface rust and forms a tough coating that arrests the corrosion altogether. Is there an underframe coating of some kind that I can apply to theses areas without making a genuine mess of things in the process?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Oct 7, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    zeeya2000

zeeya2000 Cajun Taceaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    Flowmaster super 10 series turndowns/ Volant CAI system/ Alpine deck, Alpine bass speakers throughtout with tweeters, Alpine PLT-5 Sub/ Blacked out front bumper and door handles/ 5% and 20% tint/ Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks all the way around with a 1.5'' block lift in the rear/ also removed my running boards and mudflaps/ Blacked out badges - TRD windshield banner - TRD third brake light cover (all courtesy of SockMonkey)
    after cleaning it. just put any kind of paint to seal it and you should be fine. A couple coats just to be sure

3. Oct 7, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    Just clean off all the surface rust with a wire-wheel, or even a 3M purple disc if you can get your hands on one. Depending on location, you've got some options... I just did some rust repair on my undercarraige earlier today, and used sealer on the bare metal, laid it on pretty thick, too. But, you could just as easily put some etch/epoxy primer on the bare metal, some black satin paint, and be in pretty good shape.

In high-abuse areas (rockers, front of frame) you can use gravel guard. The stuff is a rubberized undercoating that will resist chips, etc quite well.

Products Discussed in

To Top