Notices

Well water and/or iron in water

Old 10-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Six lugs of fury!
Performula is on a distinguished road
Name: Justinian the Gr3iht
Performula's Tacoma Gallery
Well water and/or iron in water

This may sound like a dumb post, but my new place uses well water. I wouldn't have an issue so much, however, it smells terrible, leaves iron deposits all over the sinks, tubs, washing machine (yes, drives me crazy to know my clothes go through this), etc.

The worst was, we left the hose on, and when I came out a few minutes later, there was a rainbowish white residue all over the stream of water.

Since I have been here, I haven't washed my Taco or ZX6R. I go as far as washing them in the rain, LMAO!

Harmless or harmful to vehicles? OCD? Maybe! I might not care so much, although, I have two of the most delicate vehicles in their worlds. Fasteners tend to oxidize on Kawis and the Tacos are known for frame rust. Reduce, not induce, is my motive.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I would have the water sampled. If it is an option and it bothers you that much then filtration and/or water softening may be an option.

As far as being any more damaging the only thing it will do is leave hard water deposits if you don't dry off your vehicles.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
ubnpast has a brilliant futureubnpast has a brilliant futureubnpast has a brilliant futureubnpast has a brilliant futureubnpast has a brilliant futureubnpast has a brilliant futureubnpast has a brilliant futureubnpast has a brilliant futureubnpast has a brilliant futureubnpast has a brilliant futureubnpast has a brilliant future
Name: Matt
ubnpast's Tacoma Gallery
get a water softener! :P
Old 10-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Performula View Post
This may sound like a dumb post, but my new place uses well water. I wouldn't have an issue so much, however, it smells terrible, leaves iron deposits all over the sinks, tubs, washing machine (yes, drives me crazy to know my clothes go through this), etc.

The worst was, we left the hose on, and when I came out a few minutes later, there was a rainbowish white residue all over the stream of water.

Since I have been here, I haven't washed my Taco or ZX6R. I go as far as washing them in the rain, LMAO!

Harmless or harmful to vehicles? OCD? Maybe! I might not care so much, although, I have two of the most delicate vehicles in their worlds. Fasteners tend to oxidize on Kawis and the Tacos are known for frame rust. Reduce, not induce, is my motive.
NO WAY! Are you serious? Do you go out there with a rain coat or something?
Old 10-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
boron, smells like rotten eggs or sulfur. only way to get rid of it is to shoot your water into a holding tank (via a mister, or shower type set up) against the tank once the chemical reaches air it stinks but leaves. then you pump into your house.

if it is boron, leave and get used to the smell. not worth the cost to fix.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
Six lugs of fury!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Truck View Post
NO WAY! Are you serious? Do you go out there with a rain coat or something?
Just regular clothes and wash. I use tap water to start the soap bucket cycles, in stages, roof to front fenders, doors from crease to taillights, and lower half, then tailgate and bumpers, etc.. And the rain keeps on going.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
Six lugs of fury!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyZ View Post
boron, smells like rotten eggs or sulfur. only way to get rid of it is to shoot your water into a holding tank (via a mister, or shower type set up) against the tank once the chemical reaches air it stinks but leaves. then you pump into your house.

if it is boron, leave and get used to the smell. not worth the cost to fix.
My issues are the iron and residue from the garden hose. I'm learning here and will look up boron.