1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to fix weather stripping?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Leadgolem, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Oct 20, 2010 at 1:18 AM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    Not sure if this is exactly a detailing question, but how do I fix this?
    weatherstripping.jpg
    There is a metal tab holding it in on one side, but not the other. What I'm wondering is if I can just get some kind of adhesive and stick it back in, or if I need to try to find a new tab?

The previous owner told me that the back window had been smashed in, so the center section of it has been replaced. Probably why the weather stripping is hanging down like that.

2. Nov 18, 2010 at 9:04 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    There's an adhesive to do anything.. But its hard to see what you're working with, and i dont have a first gen to go look at anymore.

You may be able to order a new strip from your dealer. Check for a website with exploded parts diagrams for "collision" parts.

3. Nov 19, 2010 at 12:06 AM
    Leadgolem

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    You know, you got me thinking. So I pulled the diagrams from the manual. That piece of weather stripping doesn't exist in the diagrams. Then I went and pulled it off. What I thought was a factory metal clip was just a bent piece of metal shoved in to keep it from falling out. It's a piece of generic window weather stripping somebody had glued into the channel on the top.

So, problem fixed by removing unnecessary weather stripping. There is another seal in the sliding window channel. That's the factory one. :)

4. Nov 19, 2010 at 12:21 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Might have been there to stop water from running in.. or attempt to.
    Hopefully you didn't just uncover a long lost leak.

5. Nov 19, 2010 at 12:34 AM
    Leadgolem

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    Since the only part of it that's been attached has been a 2" section on one side, I kinda doubt I've uncovered a leak. :) It's been like that for over a year. There is another strip of the exact same stuff on the bottom. That, I'm not planning to touch.

Products Discussed in

To Top