Notices

Rocker Panel Protection

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
plee33 will become famous soon enoughplee33 will become famous soon enough
Name: Peter
plee33's Tacoma Gallery
Rocker Panel Protection

I don't like having my mud flaps on my 2005 DC. I have a problem after awhile; paint chips, and it gets on my nerves. Anyone tried line x, 3m rocker panel protection spray, etc.? I want to some feedback on how it works so far and how it actually looks on the truck. Let me know guys, because I'm thinking about the 3m rocker panel spray.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
Gravel guard is a good option for protecting rockers. Toyota's come from the factory with a light coat on. Unfortunately, it can wear-out quickly, especially in your case, with no mud guards. Typically gravel-guard spray comes in Black, or white, so you'll need to get it painted to match your truck.

Personally, my '08 DC is getting a bit of wear (stone chips, etc...) on the pinch welds, and a bit on the rockers. Next summer I'll sand out the rust, hit the metal with some epoxy primer, and gravel-guard the crap out of them.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadic 78 View Post
Gravel guard is a good option for protecting rockers. Toyota's come from the factory with a light coat on. Unfortunately, it can wear-out quickly, especially in your case, with no mud guards. Typically gravel-guard spray comes in Black, or white, so you'll need to get it painted to match your truck.

Personally, my '08 DC is getting a bit of wear (stone chips, etc...) on the pinch welds, and a bit on the rockers. Next summer I'll sand out the rust, hit the metal with some epoxy primer, and gravel-guard the crap out of them.
I had never heard of gravel-guard so I did a quick search and it also comes in clear so you don't have to worry about matching

http://www.amazon.com/Dominion-Sure-.../dp/B002HOXILU
Old 10-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
plee33's Tacoma Gallery
This guy used SKS Stone Guard. I think it looks nice and smooth, unlike line x, rhino coat and others that shows a rough texture. Check out this Lotus Forum: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/...tection-58300/
Old 10-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
I herculined my rocker panels and I really like it heres some pics

Old 10-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
plee33's Tacoma Gallery
I thinks it looks good. Even better considering that your truck is silver with unpainted OEM fender flares. Mine's the speedway metallic, so i don't know how well it goes with black rocker panel protection as a two tone. I don't know, I'm thinking about just adding the rocker panel protection on the bottom rear portion of the bed panel where all the rocks hit.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Just make sure to sand the area first. Gravel-guard won't stick with a crap unless the surface is sanded well. In fact, it will peel right back off.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I think a clear bra type material will work best for you.

I just keep a nice coating of mud on the rockers, seems to work well lol.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:55 AM   #9
plee33's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, probably a clear coat protection will be best for my color. I don't know how I'll do it with chips on already. Hmmm....any of you guys got ideas?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
Sunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: RC
Sunburst's Tacoma Gallery
Does Napa or autozone sell gravel guard?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #11
trailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant future
trailmaker's Tacoma Gallery
I used Line-x for mine. I went to the top of the indentation, whereas KMOC went to the bottom. Beware that Line-x will pickup dust and hold on to it. The black will quickly take on the color of whatever dirt you have in your area. If you live in an urban area it shouldn't matter so much. Line-x is extremely durable, as advertised.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by plee33 View Post
Yeah, probably a clear coat protection will be best for my color. I don't know how I'll do it with chips on already. Hmmm....any of you guys got ideas?
Not sure what you intend to do when you say "clear coat protection" but if you're looking to use that clear gravel guard you mentioned, you can just sand up your rockers, and spray on the gravel guard. Simple... If there's rust, you really should sand it out, spray on some epoxy primer (or etch primer), sand it up, and shoot your gravel guard on there. Might want to use a black GG, to cover up the sanded areas.

If you don't like the idea of having your rockers look different because of the gravel guard, you can take it to a bodyshop, and get them to spray on some colour after you GG the rockers. This would be a little more costly, but give you a perfect look.

Products Discussed in this Thread