1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wash, polish, wax...when/how do I re-polish?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by jivewalker, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Nov 5, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    jivewalker

jivewalker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    2012 4RUNNER TE w/KDSS, 2017 LAND CRUISER
    Ok, when I got the truck new, I washed it with dawn. Didn't do the clay due to lack of time and money. After washing, I polished with Nu-Finish followed by a coat of Gold Class carnauba paste. Two weeks later, I washed with Gold Class shampoo and applied another coat of the carnauba. My question is: When and how to I know when to re-polish with the nu-finish? Do I have to strip the 2 layers of carnauba off first? Do I do this with Dawn? Thanks!

2. Nov 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM
    SuperTacoma

SuperTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Double Cab SR5 4x4 Silver
    Dawn will clean off the wax it is a grease cutter.
    I go by feel. If it no longer feels slick I rewax but not always the full wax treatment. I use some of the quick waxes I.E. Turtle Quick Detail any other wipe on and wipe off just to make it fast.

3. Nov 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    jivewalker

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    My truck is parked outside during the day in a salt water environment. Will the wipe on stuff provide the same level of protection? Really want to make sure i do everything I can to protect from the salt air.

4. Nov 5, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Yes and yes. As far as when and how it depends on the condition of your surface. If the surface is free of swirls, marks and debris then maintenance with a wax is satisfactory.

5. Nov 5, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!

The spray on stuff is for something quick and easy, it does not offer the same protection as the carnauba paste as you used. You can polish as offten as you want as it offers shine but no real protection. I would be waxing in the spring and fall if I were you to keep it protected.

6. Nov 5, 2010 at 10:53 AM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    I:

Polish: twice a year; once in the spring and once in the fall.

Wax: once a month without using dawn; there is no need to remove the old wax if you're not polishing, especially because the old wax just wears off anyway.

Clay bar: this is the only treatment you can really go by feel, as this is the true contaminent remover and not a protectant. I do this at minimum whenever I polish, usually more.

7. Nov 6, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    Gooch

Gooch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    I mostly agree, except I only polish when I am unhappy with the way the paint looks. Sometimes I go years between polishing.

Remember, every time you polish, you remove paint, so only do it when necessary.

8. Nov 6, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    Gooch

Gooch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Also, using a spray wax is super-easy and makes waxing once a month (or even once a week) a breeze. I disagree that it doesn't provide sufficient protection. It is all I use on my truck.

9. Nov 6, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    jivewalker

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys, all sound advice! Looks like I'll keep the wax up since I have no swirl marks. Then, at some point when the paint looks dull, ill strip it down with dawn and re-polish and start over . Thanks again guys!

10. Nov 6, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    Good point. I don't polish very often when I have cars, but I need to with my trucks because of scratches in the summer from camping in the woods, and I like to after all the rain in winter.

11. Nov 6, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    bobfm10350

bobfm10350 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Deric
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    Access Limited Tonneau, Hawk LTS Brake Pads, SP Performance Slotted Rotors, Goodrich G-Stop Brake Lines, Thule Roof Rack, Bilstein 5100s Front and Rear, Eibach Coil Springs, Cabela's Floor Mats, 265-75-16 Duratracs, Fog Light Anytime Mod, D-Rings Mod, USA Spec PA15 TOY Ipod Adapter, Gorilla Lock Nuts, K&N Drop-In Air Filter, Wet Okole Seat Covers Front & Rear, Toytec 1.5" AAL, Viper 5901 Car Alarm
    You can always try a cleaner wax

12. Nov 6, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    The wipe on stuff like Meguires spray on wax as such tell you on the bottle that when they become hard to wipe off, that is the your sign it is time to wax again.

I usually can tell by the amount of time since the last wax, (and depending on the season) and the feel of the back of my hand sliding across the surface.

If all else fails, read the bottle on some of the better ones. They will sometimes give up some clues.

13. Nov 6, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    once a month is good, but i only do it to the roof and hood where the sun hits it all the time

Products Discussed in

To Top