Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Wash, polish, wax...when/how do I re-polish?

Old 11-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
Wash, polish, wax...when/how do I re-polish?

Ok, when I got the truck new, I washed it with dawn. Didn't do the clay due to lack of time and money. After washing, I polished with Nu-Finish followed by a coat of Gold Class carnauba paste. Two weeks later, I washed with Gold Class shampoo and applied another coat of the carnauba. My question is: When and how to I know when to re-polish with the nu-finish? Do I have to strip the 2 layers of carnauba off first? Do I do this with Dawn? Thanks!
Old 11-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
SuperTacoma will become famous soon enoughSuperTacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Clint
SuperTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Dawn will clean off the wax it is a grease cutter.
I go by feel. If it no longer feels slick I rewax but not always the full wax treatment. I use some of the quick waxes I.E. Turtle Quick Detail any other wipe on and wipe off just to make it fast.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

My truck is parked outside during the day in a salt water environment. Will the wipe on stuff provide the same level of protection? Really want to make sure i do everything I can to protect from the salt air.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When and how to I know when to re-polish with the nu-finish? Do I have to strip the 2 layers of carnauba off first? Do I do this with Dawn? Thanks!
Yes and yes. As far as when and how it depends on the condition of your surface. If the surface is free of swirls, marks and debris then maintenance with a wax is satisfactory.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
mach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
mach1man001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivewalker View Post
My truck is parked outside during the day in a salt water environment. Will the wipe on stuff provide the same level of protection? Really want to make sure i do everything I can to protect from the salt air.

The spray on stuff is for something quick and easy, it does not offer the same protection as the carnauba paste as you used. You can polish as offten as you want as it offers shine but no real protection. I would be waxing in the spring and fall if I were you to keep it protected.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
I:

Polish: twice a year; once in the spring and once in the fall.

Wax: once a month without using dawn; there is no need to remove the old wax if you're not polishing, especially because the old wax just wears off anyway.

Clay bar: this is the only treatment you can really go by feel, as this is the true contaminent remover and not a protectant. I do this at minimum whenever I polish, usually more.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
I:

Polish: twice a year; once in the spring and once in the fall.

Wax: once a month without using dawn; there is no need to remove the old wax if you're not polishing, especially because the old wax just wears off anyway.

Clay bar: this is the only treatment you can really go by feel, as this is the true contaminent remover and not a protectant. I do this at minimum whenever I polish, usually more.
I mostly agree, except I only polish when I am unhappy with the way the paint looks. Sometimes I go years between polishing.

Remember, every time you polish, you remove paint, so only do it when necessary.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Also, using a spray wax is super-easy and makes waxing once a month (or even once a week) a breeze. I disagree that it doesn't provide sufficient protection. It is all I use on my truck.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
me gusta pechos firmes

Thanks guys, all sound advice! Looks like I'll keep the wax up since I have no swirl marks. Then, at some point when the paint looks dull, ill strip it down with dawn and re-polish and start over . Thanks again guys!
Old 11-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishAndWax.com View Post
I mostly agree, except I only polish when I am unhappy with the way the paint looks. Sometimes I go years between polishing.

Remember, every time you polish, you remove paint, so only do it when necessary.
Good point. I don't polish very often when I have cars, but I need to with my trucks because of scratches in the summer from camping in the woods, and I like to after all the rain in winter.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivewalker View Post
The wipe on stuff like Meguires spray on wax as such tell you on the bottle that when they become hard to wipe off, that is the your sign it is time to wax again.

I usually can tell by the amount of time since the last wax, (and depending on the season) and the feel of the back of my hand sliding across the surface.

If all else fails, read the bottle on some of the better ones. They will sometimes give up some clues.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
once a month is good, but i only do it to the roof and hood where the sun hits it all the time