Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Piece of Sh*t Bug Shield

Old 07-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
watch the meat
cleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
cleanTRDmachine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cleanTRDmachine
Piece of Sh*t Bug Shield

So, I just got a color matched grille surround and grillcraft grille to throw on. The truck came with the bug shield on the front. I took it off tonight because I don't think it will look good with the grille. When I took it off I noticed the braces that held the shield on and connected to the underside of the hood scratched the paint off of my hood at the brace points!!!!!!
I guess I should just get some Silver Streak Mica touch up paint and fix it???

such a stupid ass design flaw, why would they put a shield on that will scratch paint off of the truck???
Old 07-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanTRDmachine View Post
So, I just got a color matched grille surround and grillcraft grille to throw on. The truck came with the bug shield on the front. I took it off tonight because I don't think it will look good with the grille. When I took it off I noticed the braces that held the shield on and connected to the underside of the hood scratched the paint off of my hood at the brace points!!!!!!
I guess I should just get some Silver Streak Mica touch up paint and fix it???

such a stupid ass design flaw, why would they put a shield on that will scratch paint off of the truck???
yep......had one on my 06, and saw what it was doing, so i left it on!! if you want a decent bug guard, get one by wade........as they use 3m tape for it instead of those shitty brackets!!
Old 07-30-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
probly just some person that wanted to cut corners and piss off a consumer
Old 07-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Ranger08 will become famous soon enough
Ranger08's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

I just put on a AVS. Five pins hold it on from the inside of the hood. Doesn't look like anything touches the paint. I heard the Toyota one for $99 was a problem. I will keep you informed. Not sure if I like the look. It takes away from the Scoop!!!!!!!!! Told the wife it was my dream muscle car look. I would love to supercharge it.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
Ranger08 will become famous soon enough
Ranger08's Tacoma Gallery
I got it from Leonard. They had it in stock. $55 plus tax.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger08 View Post
I got it from Leonard. They had it in stock. $55 plus tax.
not a bad price! is it a full wrap around low profile or is it just to the edges of the hood and kinda sits up??
Old 07-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #8
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Yeah, I am looking for that link too...
Old 08-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
Yeah, I am looking for that link too...
Mee too. Thanks if you can help.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:52 AM   #10
davz45 is on a distinguished road

Navy: U.S.S. John F.Kennedy  Cat 1 - 24/7 !!!  79-82
davz45's Tacoma Gallery
I got the AVS for mine also $ 57 installed so far I like it!! Its great so far..I know my bug juice has been cut down more then half! TJMO! from what "I" have noticed.

Dave
Old 09-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #11
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm3bow View Post
that sux!! sorry to hear that dude. my bug shield came with some plastic strips that you put between the brackets and the hood so as to not damage the paint. i'm gonna take it of though since I don't think it's keeping any bugs or little rocks off my windshield. hope my paint aint messed up.
I put the plastic strips on before the brackets and it still screwed up the paint. Chipped the c#$p under the brackets. Was going to keep the bug shield to put on my new truck, but had to leave it on to hide the chipped paint.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #12
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
bug shield jacked up my paint also... it had the plastic under it..protected 1 of the spots but the plastic on the other 3 brackets came out from under the brace..
Old 09-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #13
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger08 View Post
I just put on a AVS. Five pins hold it on from the inside of the hood. Doesn't look like anything touches the paint. I heard the Toyota one for $99 was a problem. I will keep you informed. Not sure if I like the look. It takes away from the Scoop!!!!!!!!! Told the wife it was my dream muscle car look. I would love to supercharge it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davz45 View Post
I got the AVS for mine also $ 57 installed so far I like it!! Its great so far..I know my bug juice has been cut down more then half! TJMO! from what "I" have noticed.

Dave
AVS is the way to go. 5 plastic pins and that's it. I know ya'll don't like Chrome but I love mine. SEE

Old 09-23-2008, 05:38 PM   #14
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
SO whats the link to that good product?
Old 09-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #15
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
I have not have any trouble with my factory Toyota shield. I installed my own and does not seem to be harming my paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Piece of Sh*t Bug Shield-13.jpg  
Old 09-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #16
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
SO whats the link to that good product?
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...oyota%20Tacoma
There's the link for the CHROME Bugshield.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #17
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by harris.jasonm View Post
I have not have any trouble with my factory Toyota shield. I installed my own and does not seem to be harming my paint.
You won't see the damage until you take the brackets off. It doesn't damage the whole edge, just under the metal brackets.