Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Clay Bar?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
Waverly has a spectacular aura aboutWaverly has a spectacular aura about

Waverly's Tacoma Gallery
Clay Bar?

What the heck is this????? Never heard of it.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
It's a bar made of clay (resin compound) used for detailing. It will remove fine scratches and bring back the showroom shine when used properly.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Google it.......i stay away from that jazz
Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
A good quality clay bar with pick up any particles & impurities stuck to your clear coat before you start polishing or waxing.
I have used Griots in the past.
Griots clay is a mustard yellow color kinda w/ consistancy of silly putty, flatten like a pancake & use with speed shine (that makes it glide).
The bar will pick up the dirt & junk even after a hand washing.
Pretty cool actually but time consuming.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
Pretty cool actually but time consuming.
very time consuming. i did my hood and said fck the rest as i was tired.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
i did my entire truck, so worth it!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
Taco Man Sam
Ese Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ese Loco's Tacoma Gallery
I can't see where you guys don't see the benefit. It can be time consuming but its well worth it, took me about an hour to do my whole truck.

Next time you go to wash your car, take a plastic bag and place it over your hand and rub the exterior of your car. It will really help magnify a lot of the particles you dont get off from washing.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ese Loco View Post
I can't see where you guys don't see the benefit. It can be time consuming but its well worth it, took me about an hour to do my whole truck.

Next time you go to wash your car, take a plastic bag and place it over your hand and rub the exterior of your car. It will really help magnify a lot of the particles you dont get off from washing.

Because 2-3 days out of the WEEK, my truck is somewhere riding through the woods.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ese Loco View Post

It's easy- A) There just wasn't that much crap coming off into the clay. There were a few spots that some things came off but that the majority was little to no change. I keep the truck reasonably clean but for the amount of effort to the amount of improvment...Just not worth it to me.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
Waverly has a spectacular aura aboutWaverly has a spectacular aura about

Waverly's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't know the stuff existed......it's good just for painted surfaces and not chrome?
Old 11-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
wmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nice
wmb67's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverly View Post
Didn't know the stuff existed......it's good just for painted surfaces and not chrome?

I use it on all paint, chrome and glass. Even on a new vehicle, there is a lot of surface contamination... sap, rail dust, etc., that regular washing will not remove.
Most contamination will be on the horizontals (hood,roof), but you may find bits of tar on the lower portion of vehicle.

If you enjoy detailing your truck, then dedicate an hour or so and clay after you wash but before you wax.

Your paint will feel like glass and future washing, drying and waxing will be much easier
Old 11-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future
Name: Daniel
2gtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
It brings the shine back like you just picked up your truck from the dealer. it leaves the clear so smooth and you can feel the difference from a clarbar panel to a non clayed panel its day and night. I can do my whole truck in an hour its not bad if you throw back a few cold ones in the process.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
Blank
TucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TucsonMike's Tacoma Gallery
I did my truck and I was shocked at how much crap it pulled out. All you have to do is a small section of your hood and feel the clean section vs. non clean and you will be sold
Old 11-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #15
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
im going to try this next week, i have never done it in 5 years.... should be interesting haha.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #16
Blank
TucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TucsonMike's Tacoma Gallery
oreilly auto parts has the mothers kit for 12.99 right now
Old 11-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #17
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Its a really easy thing to do. It probably took me around an hour to do the whole truck.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #18
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
if your paint is already in fairly good condition, you could try turtle wax liquid clay bar. i used it in the past, before polishing and waxing, and it left my paint feeling silky smooth.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #19
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
I am surprised some of you havent used a clay bar on your vehicle. It picks up some much fine crap on the paint. It will even take off overspray from spray paint.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:53 PM   #20
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
I had honestly never heard of it.

Products Discussed in this Thread