Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Painted Dash?

Old 08-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Painted Dash?

Has anyone painted the dash and console on their Taco? If so, post pics please!
Old 08-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Your best bet is to dye it, they make a dye that most of your shops use. It comes in a spray can but does not flake off. If you want to point it however dry http://www.duplicolor.com/garage/
Old 08-01-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
cajun1_us is on a distinguished road
cajun1_us's Tacoma Gallery
yes it can be painted, either dyed to freshing up or painted to maybe match the exterior of the vehicle. I think that he is asking to see how it looks painted the color of the vehicle. I do not know anybody who has done it to a Tacoma but have thought of painting a few select pieces of my dash.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know how well that Dupli-Color interior paint holds up?
I know the automotive paint is high quality stuff, and the paint nozzle is genious!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
being an old auto painter and a current body shop manager I can say that dupli color is cheap garbage. Now it does have it's place. But what type of look are you going for. Unfortunatly the realy good stuff is expensive and needs to be aplied by trained professional, usually if you can get to know an auto painter he will work you a deal.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Well, mainly the hard plastic inside. Like the pieces around the heater controls and the CD deck. Also the cup holders. What do you think?
Old 08-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
the problem with dupli or krylon is that it will look cheap after and will not clean easy as they are very porose and trap the dirt in the pores. I think it will look great if done correctly. Those are the same parts I was thinking about spraying. If you do descide to use dupli then make sure you sand it well and put more coats than you think you need that way you can rub it smooth with rubbing compound
Old 08-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, thanks! It'll be a while down the road (winter) before i start messin around with the interior.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i will add that before you start painting your interior trim and all, get some adhesion promoter and use this before painting, as it will aid greatly in adhering the paint you use to the plastic, porous or not. just a heads up.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #11
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Yeh, good tip. Like, plastic primer basically?
Old 08-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #12
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Yeh, good tip. Like, plastic primer basically?
yep, and it helps alot with keeping the paint on and not cracking.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #13
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, thanks man.. again haha
Old 08-02-2008, 06:32 AM   #14
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i will add that before you start painting your interior trim and all, get some adhesion promoter and use this before painting, as it will aid greatly in adhering the paint you use to the plastic, porous or not. just a heads up.
If you are dead set on painting or dyeing- Go for it. but like cajun said- It can look crappy unless it works out perfectly.

I found a dash trim kit on ebay that other day...I don't have the link still- but for like 200 bucks it had all the pieces you could want to change out or color. so that's another idea.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
If you are dead set on painting or dyeing- Go for it. but like cajun said- I can look crappy unless it works out perfectly.

I found a dash trim kit on ebay that other day...I don't have the link still- but for like 200 bucks it had all the pieces you could want to change out or color. so that's another idea.
yeah, your are correct. but i was letting him know about the adhesion promoter since it will help if he does end up painting.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #16
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Once i finish up the things i want to do today, i'll start shopping around for colors and supplies. thanks