Bad Idea 138 7.31%
Plasti-Derp 380 20.12%
I'm jelly... 126 6.67%
You jelly??? 191 10.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1889. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #241
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Gahh! why havent i done this?? i have a can of plasti dip, but just never though of that for some reason.

And if you wanted, you could just pull it off right??
Old 12-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #242
DOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant future

Name: Jobin
DOT's Tacoma Gallery
But how well does it hold up ?
I want to do my flares in black but worried that tree branches would just peel it off ?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #243
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucas View Post
Gahh! why havent i done this?? i have a can of plasti dip, but just never though of that for some reason.

And if you wanted, you could just pull it off right??
Yup you can just peel it right off. The stuff is pretty durable but if you pick at a corner you will be able to peel it off, like a sticker.

The way I did it was I masked off the area and did about four coats letting it dry 5 minutes in between. As soon as the last coat was sprayed I quickly pulled off the masking. I was afraid thay if I let it dry the overspray on the masking would dry with the part I wanted to stay and it would all peel off. It came out pretty good this way. Only have one run in it, my own fault, and its mostly covered by the liscense plate. If this seems to stay on the bumper ill probably peel it off in the sspring and re-do it so that run is gone.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #244
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Where do you get the Plasti dip...or whatever its called
Old 12-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #245
The MOST Badass Offroad Truck
BravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
BravesFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Home Depot or Lowes....wow never thought i would tell chris something he didnt know.......
Old 12-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #246
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOT View Post
But how well does it hold up ?
I want to do my flares in black but worried that tree branches would just peel it off ?
Hard to say since I haven't had it on my truck too long. I also did my wheels with it a few weeks ago and so far so good. The stuff is pretty durable so I think it would hold up ok. I say since its cheap go for it. At a minimum you'll get to see if you really like the flares black and get some practice for when and if you do use real paint.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #247
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
i was wondering same thing.....i checked autozone and advance no bueno
Old 12-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #248
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravesFan View Post
Home Depot or Lowes....wow never thought i would tell chris something he didnt know.......
Cool! Thanks man
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post

This has WHARRGARBL written all over it......Chris, pls dont use ANYTHING in the kitchen.
SILENCE! i keel you!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #249
TheHansen is on a distinguished road

TheHansen's Tacoma Gallery
how did you keep it from peeling off when you removed the tape... i did my badges, and when pulling off the tape it pulled up all the edges of the stuff.....

coat with short gaps b4 it tacks up and pull off tape while its still wet?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #250
Grande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really nice

Name: John
Grande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravesFan View Post
im still waiting for my chance lol.
chris4x4 is like one of the head hanchoes here at TW
Old 12-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRANDA View Post
im still waiting for my chance lol.
chris4x4 is like one of the head hanchoes here at TW
Im sure you'll get a chance...I dont know that much
Old 12-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #252
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHansen View Post
how did you keep it from peeling off when you removed the tape... i did my badges, and when pulling off the tape it pulled up all the edges of the stuff.....

Yup
Old 12-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #253
Junior Mint
BeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeardedWeirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice! I Plasti-Dipped mine last weekend too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHansen View Post

I used an exacto knife. Worked like a charm!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #254
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Jerk View Post
i love the black valance
Is that what you kids are calling it now? We just called it the old frank and beans in my day.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:50 AM   #255
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
So none of you sanded, or roughed up, the surface before you applied the Plasti-Dip? Just cleaned, masked and sprayed?

FYI, you can also find Plasti-Dip at most Ace Hardware stores.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #256
Junior Mint
BeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
So none of you sanded, or roughed up, the surface before you applied the Plasti-Dip? Just cleaned, masked and sprayed?

FYI, you can also find Plasti-Dip at most Ace Hardware stores.
Yep. I just cleaned the bumper really good and then wiped it down with rubbing alcohol afterward and let it dry. Then I masked off the area and applied the Plasti-Dip. I waited roughly 30 minutes between coats. I applied 5 coats which used about 1/2-3/4 of a can. Then I let it dry for 4 hours and then carefully used an exacto knife and went over the tape edges and removed the tape.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #257
Grande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really nice

Name: John
Grande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedWeirdo View Post
Very nice! I Plasti-Dipped mine last weekend too.

I used an exacto knife. Worked like a charm!
did u use it on ur grill too, or just ur bumper, looks like one is more glossy than the other
Old 12-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #258
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRANDA View Post
did u use it on ur grill too, or just ur bumper, looks like one is more glossy than the other
The grille is painted black. My problem is now I'm kind of wanting to do a matte black grille to match them up. I have a matte black stock grille, but I really don't want to Satoshi it, too just to try it out. The skull is Plasti-Dipped though.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #259
Snocoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Peter
Snocoma's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone try it with the RustOleum truck bed coating spray yet? I think that might be the perfect application since it'll be taking a lot of abuse up front...
Old 12-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #260
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
i just did my emblems.....what i did was hold my drivers liscense just parralell with the ebmlem and peeled the tape......worked like a charm.....now i gotta get the in betweeners out

Products Discussed in this Thread