1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mmtaco06, Aug 10, 2010.

?

Plasti-Dip

1. Good Idea

69.1%
  2. Bad Idea

6.6%
  3. Plasti-Derp

18.2%
  4. I'm jelly...

6.3%
  5. You jelly???

8.1%
  1. Dec 11, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    sooner02r1

sooner02r1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm thinking about plasti dipping my front bumper/grille, and maybe fenders. Taking a trip to Colorado, might help with rock chips, but mainly I want to try the stuff out! Looks very cool and easy to pull off. If you guys have had experience with it not coming off or damaging anything, let us know! Everything I've seen looks to be a safe removal though.

2. Dec 11, 2010 at 5:04 PM
    GeatWhiteNorth

GeatWhiteNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgen
    Victoria BC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD DC LB
    LR UCA's, 5100 all around, OME 885, add a leaf, Elite Sliders, 285's
    I just did hood scoop and rims and it works great and i tested it out and is come off fine.. what i found also was the thicker it is the easier it is to peel off

3. Dec 11, 2010 at 5:06 PM
    TRDKenE

TRDKenE DAMN GOOD DEAL!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 D-CAB OFF-ROAD 4X4
    TRD CAI, GrillCraft.
    I am very interested in this...any updates on the wheels, also curious how good this stuff does with tape lines? Like are the tape lines nice and clean? ...subscribed

4. Dec 12, 2010 at 12:36 AM
    GeatWhiteNorth

GeatWhiteNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgen
    Victoria BC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD DC LB
    LR UCA's, 5100 all around, OME 885, add a leaf, Elite Sliders, 285's
    so far they are holding up great but its only been about a week so who know if it will last.. as for tape line its really hard to get a crisp lines cause the rubber tends to have a mind of its own when you peel off the tape but you can get rough lines so for rims it works fine

5. Dec 12, 2010 at 1:01 AM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...
    Yeah sorry, I forgot I even started this thread.

I'll post some complete before and after pics of the truck.

The wheel came out pretty good. Its not super smooth like powder coat would be, but its black and it hides well.

The hardest part is the center caps. Plasti Dip doesn't like to flow around the toyota emblem very well, but its hard to notice unless your looking for it.

Also keep in mind I'm not a expert painter, and I also kinda rushed it. In the closeup, you can see places I didn't get it on thick enough.

Done right by someone who knows what they are doing will probably get much better results.

I can't give a update on how is holding up due to being out of state for work... The true trial will begin in a couple weeks :D

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this one, you can see a little extra shine behind the lug nuts. That's from the dealer pulling the wheel to check the brakes. It peeled a little of it off.

To correct this I just took each lug off one at a time, shot a blast in there, and put it back on.

Good as new.

IMG_1719.jpg

6. Dec 12, 2010 at 1:03 AM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:

You can probably get good tape lines, just peel the tape while its still wet.

7. Dec 12, 2010 at 1:08 AM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Here is the other thing I have noticed about Plasti Dip.

With a Plasti Dipped surface, it becomes wet again when it comes in contact with more wet Plasti Dip.

In other words, if it gets a scratch or tears, just shoot it with a quick blast, it will "melt" in with the existing surface.

8. Dec 12, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    xwillx93

xwillx93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    MBRP "Cool Duals" dual side swept exhaust, Volant Intake, Blacked Out Tail lights, Touchscreen Kenwood DDx616 with a 10" Kicker CVR in a custom Box, 2 Kicker Comp 6" Speakers, Removed front and rear mud flaps, Weathertech Floormats, Kobalt Slim Toolbox, Chevrolet Air compressor
    I want to paint my front grille (grey), black, as well as the toyota emblem. anyone ever used plasti-dip before? pictures and a star rating please!

9. Dec 12, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    xwillx93

xwillx93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    MBRP "Cool Duals" dual side swept exhaust, Volant Intake, Blacked Out Tail lights, Touchscreen Kenwood DDx616 with a 10" Kicker CVR in a custom Box, 2 Kicker Comp 6" Speakers, Removed front and rear mud flaps, Weathertech Floormats, Kobalt Slim Toolbox, Chevrolet Air compressor
    how is it on the grille? im thinking about doing mine black because i hate the gray. any pictures or what you'd rate it

10. Dec 12, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    SR54x4

SR54x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 TRD SR5 Tundra
    Magnaflow 12588, TSC lo-pro extra deep toolbox, step bars and bull bar
    plasti dip is awesome stuff. i did my wheels and bumper about a month ago and has held up perfectly through two wheeling trips, two car washes, and the begining of the winter months. the best part is its not permanent so you can do it and make sure you like the grille black. thats why i did it. after a few months if the stuff starts to peel, ill take it off and use real paint. i just wanted to make sure i like the wheels and lower bumper black before i made it permanent.

11. Dec 12, 2010 at 10:28 AM
    SR54x4

SR54x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 TRD SR5 Tundra
    Magnaflow 12588, TSC lo-pro extra deep toolbox, step bars and bull bar
    also, do a search for plasti-dip on this forum. there are a ton of threads on the product with writes on how to do it, opinions, pictures, etc.

12. Dec 15, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    How do you get the plastic piece around the window controls off? I feel like if I try to pry it off I'll snap the plastic.

13. Dec 16, 2010 at 3:57 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    A thin knife or rounded putty knife. Start on the inside, near the rear of the control pad, and gently pry up....then move forward. They come of easily.

14. Dec 16, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Sweet, plasti dipping them right now

15. Dec 17, 2010 at 11:02 PM
    JTanner

JTanner Misplaced Texan

Member:
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR MGM
    stock..for now
    Guys, I keep reading about people nuking (over thinking) this whole thing when it comes to temperature and coats and removal. I did my emblems this week and was done in record time with no issues. 52 degrees out. Regardless of temp, spray a coat of this stuff then hit it with a heat gun (or your wife's hairdryer) for about 20 seconds from about 1.5 ft away and then hit it with another coat and so on...it drys that fast. I did a center cap for fun in about 4 min...4 coats. Don't make a job longer than it needs to be...using a gun, if you don't like it, the item is peel off ready in seconds. Hope this helps.:D

16. Dec 22, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    You guys inspired me, so I did my dirtbike rims and my clutch lever. It looks very nice. I will try to get some pics once the old CR is back togeather.

17. Dec 23, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    JTanner

JTanner Misplaced Texan

Member:
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR MGM
    stock..for now
    Just thought I would share. Went plasti-dip crazy and shot the rear bumper and all emblems, got my new weathertechs front and back, put on the bull bar (no jokes please), and built a custom little thingy for my GPS. Pics to boot. Enjoy.

DSC_0673.jpg
    DSC_0687.jpg
    DSC_0685.jpg
    DSC_0686.jpg
    DSC_0684.jpg

18. Dec 23, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    Grande

Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thomas, The little truck that could
    Painted badges. Bedlined grille, wheels and lower valence. Billies 5100 @.85 up front. Dodger Jack Ball Mod. Custom trail damaged rear bumper (for the time being). Lil LED light bar on grill. Hard-wired Radar Det. Custom Projector fog lights, Anytime Fog Mod, HIDS, White LED accent lighting on a Single post double toggle swicht, so they light up wit my door/dome light, or always on, or never on. LED map and dome lights.
    that light makes the back of ur truck look green, i wanted that color so bad.

bumper looks good, chrome is weak sauce, did u take it off then sprayed it or just sprayed it with it still on, u should do ur lower front bumper too

19. Dec 23, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    JTanner

JTanner Misplaced Texan

Member:
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR MGM
    stock..for now
    Well, I did the plasti-dip more to see if I even liked it black since it's not permanent. Now that I do, I may do a bed liner or something more permanent, so yes, the chrome is still there. As far as the front goes, I thought about doing it and the rocker panels just to see....

20. Dec 23, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Looks good!
    Now for a stupid question, why do people tape off or photoshop out their license plate?

Products Discussed in

To Top