Bad Idea 138 7.32%
Plasti-Derp 379 20.10%
I'm jelly... 126 6.68%
You jelly??? 191 10.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1886. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #3361
Never Satisfied
KingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KingKoda's Tacoma Gallery
I had Plasti Dipped my stock TRD wheels to check what black would look like on my truck. I was surprised at how well it held up for a few months. I ultimately ended up taking the plasti dip off and selling the wheels.

Cleaning them became a PITA for me as I had lightly coated the inside of the wheel to hide the metal somewhat. Don't do that, or if you do, use plenty of coats as you would on the outside of the wheel. It's easy to remove if it is solid with good multiple coats but, thin...let's just say I made a mess with brake cleaner in the driveway. Never again.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #3362
Intentionally cosmetically incorrect.
TacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
TacoBow's Tacoma Gallery
I just used some today... after welding up a couple gnarly grass spewing cracks in the neighbors lawn mower deck. I didn't have any rattle can paint other than blue, so the black Plasti-dip-derped it right dandy nice. WTH I say, as long as it keeps the rust away.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #3363
Gus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Gus 524's Tacoma Gallery
So let me get this straight. I have silver fj trail team wheels. (sig pic) So i can plasti dip these then if i don't like it i can just peel it off and it will be good as new? If so how hard is it to peel it off rims?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #3364
DolphinJohn is just really niceDolphinJohn is just really niceDolphinJohn is just really niceDolphinJohn is just really nice

DolphinJohn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus 524 View Post
So let me get this straight. I have silver fj trail team wheels. (sig pic) So i can plasti dip these then if i don't like it i can just peel it off and it will be good as new? If so how hard is it to peel it off rims?

Thanks

Back a couple of pages I think, someone said it can be a pain in the ass if your wheels have a lot of angles and edges, but they sprayed it with WD40 and then it came right off with a pressure washer.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #3365
SoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to all
Name: Chris
SoBaySick's Tacoma Gallery
I officially got bit by the plasti dip bug yesterday. Today i'm running to the closest hardware store and buying some and hopping on the bandwagon. Wanna do my rear chrome bumper, but I'll probably start with the front hood emblem since it seems easy and I've never done it before.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #3366
The Past Through Tomorrow
JohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny
JohnnyWayne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15xAR10 View Post
JohnnyWayne, do you think the plast dip will hold up on those wheel? I've been skeptical of it on wheels and have been looking for a place to powder coat them for a reasonable price. Hope they last for you man. They look beautiful and so does the truck.
Sorry for the late reply but yep as others have said I think they'll be ok for a bit, I don't really go off road too much just yet and if they ever start to peel or flake it's pretty easy to hit em again. I was looking at powder coat places as well but to be honest with the stock rims the cost wasn't justifiable to me, the cost of the 2 cans was somewhere around 15 bucks

I'll see how they hold up but right now I'm pretty optimistic; thanks for the compliments she's got a long way to go still
Old 05-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #3367
Gus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gus 524's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn View Post
Back a couple of pages I think, someone said it can be a pain in the ass if your wheels have a lot of angles and edges, but they sprayed it with WD40 and then it came right off with a pressure washer.

I have never worked with plasti dip. Any idea on how I would keep the center trd logo on my wheels red? Just try and tape it off or paint then cut and peel?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #3368
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
Got a can of herp de derp and now I suddenly want to plasti derp everything, I think I like it

Old 05-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #3369
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethinboutayota View Post
Got a can of herp de derp and now I suddenly want to plasti derp everything, I think I like it

Got to admit, I like it.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #3370
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethinboutayota View Post

Did you let the plastidip dry all the way before peeling the tape or while it was still somewhat wet?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #3371
kodybrody is on a distinguished road
Name: Kody
kodybrody's Tacoma Gallery
I had really bad luck using PlastiDip on my 08 stock rims. Did 6 coats on them while they were off the truck. Let them dry and put them back on. About a month later they started to peel. Wheels were clean and dry. I probably wont do the rims again but, my badges are dipped and my grill. Love the looks on that.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #3372
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp1 View Post
Got to admit, I like it.
Thanks! I think ima keep it, I think I gained about 10 horse power

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
Did you let the plastidip dry all the way before peeling the tape or while it was still somewhat wet?
I peeled the tape after it was dry, wasn't sure when to peel it off, I had to use a knife to cut the plasti durp from the tape so it wouldn't peel it off my truck
Old 05-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #3373
SoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to all
Just got home with 2 cans of the 'dip. Is that enough to do my rear bumper? I wanna start there but I will eventually do the grill surround and my wheels.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #3374
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBaySick View Post
Just got home with 2 cans of the 'dip. Is that enough to do my rear bumper? I wanna start there but I will eventually do the grill surround and my wheels.
It took me 1 can to do mine.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
It took me 1 can to do mine.
cool, thanks!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #3376
The Past Through Tomorrow
JohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny
JohnnyWayne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus 524 View Post
I have never worked with plasti dip. Any idea on how I would keep the center trd logo on my wheels red? Just try and tape it off or paint then cut and peel?
Not sure with those, with the stock ones I had the chrome logo I popped them off the center cap then popped them back on after it dried.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #3377
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
I see they now have a primer available for plastidip that is supposed to make it more permanent. Any used the primer yet?
Old 05-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #3378

Gus 524's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWayne View Post
Not sure with those, with the stock ones I had the chrome logo I popped them off the center cap then popped them back on after it dried.
ok ya idk either

thanks
Old 05-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #3379
It's still my first day derping and I'm currently in the process of talking my brother into letting me derp his badges and wheels on his Scion TC lol I'm hooked
Old 05-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #3380
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Finally derped the chrome grill surround. Have previously done the emblems, front valance and tailpipe. I like the black much better than the chrome.

Products Discussed in this Thread