Bad Idea 134 7.30%
Plasti-Derp 369 20.10%
I'm jelly... 123 6.70%
You jelly??? 188 10.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1836. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #3641
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: LT
Name: Kyle
KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post
I'm trying to dip my badges. I did the driver door badge and passenger door badge, both peeled and separated easily. The rest of the badges (SR5 on passenger doors and TOYOTA and PRERUNNER on tailgate won't separate from the excess that peels off. I can tell that the two badges on driver and passenger doors are raised more than the rest, there's actually space between the badge and the body, so I think that's why those actually worked fairly easily. The rest of the badges are a little closer to the body of the car and sit a little more flush against the body. So when I go to peel, everything peels, even the part I want to stick... Can't figure out how to separate the part I want to stick (letters) and the part I want to peel. Anyone else have this issue or know something I can try?

Thanks!
make sure the area is super clean... and use a lot of coats.. and let it dry well.. you shouldnt have too many problems after 4-5 coats and dry time.. I didnt
Old 07-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #3642
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDuran View Post
make sure the area is super clean... and use a lot of coats.. and let it dry well.. you shouldnt have too many problems after 4-5 coats and dry time.. I didnt
I've been doing like 5-7 coats. Dry time has been roughly 15 minutes. Should I give it longer? Maybe and hour or 2?

After doing the driver door and passenger door first and it being so easy, I thought they would all be that easy. Guess not!

Ill go through and clean with degreaser and rubbing alcohol first, let that dry, then shoot them with 7 coats. I'll try letting them dry for a lot longer than I've been doing, so maybe about an hour of dry time after the 7 coats. Hopefully that'll make the peel/ separating process easier?

Thanks for the tips!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #3643
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: LT
Name: Kyle
KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've been doing like 5-7 coats. Dry time has been roughly 15 minutes. Should I give it longer? Maybe and hour or 2?

After doing the driver door and passenger door first and it being so easy, I thought they would all be that easy. Guess not!

Ill go through and clean with degreaser and rubbing alcohol first, let that dry, then shoot them with 7 coats. I'll try letting them dry for a lot longer than I've been doing, so maybe about an hour of dry time after the 7 coats. Hopefully that'll make the peel/ separating process easier?

Thanks for the tips!
clean then ....... yeah make sure your coats go like this -

15%
25%
50% do about 15m+ in between each coat
75%
100% x 2

make sure the temp is warm too... if its too cold the derp reallly doesnt handle well
Old 07-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #3644
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDuran View Post
clean then ....... yeah make sure your coats go like this -

15%
25%
50% do about 15m+ in between each coat
75%
100% x 2

make sure the temp is warm too... if its too cold the derp reallly doesnt handle well
Damn dude, he's in Texas, not only is it NOT cold there, his derp should almost be dry BEFORE it hits the badge.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #3645
reppinthe509 is on a distinguished road

reppinthe509's Tacoma Gallery
How do you guys do your wheels? On the truck or off? If you do take them off how do you do it? Two at a time? Jack stands?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #3646
otters is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Aircraft Hydraulic Systems Craftsman
Name: Rod
otters's Tacoma Gallery
Being here in Texas makes the time for drying quite a bit quicker...actually almost too quick. I dipped my badges a couple of days ago and it seems like the paint did not have time to settle/flatten out to a smooth finish. After 2-3 minutes it was completely dry. My grill is now textured somewhat like bedliner. If at all possible, derp your area out of direct sunlight.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #3647
I'd rather be fishing..
SWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: james
SWCB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters View Post
Being here in Texas makes the time for drying quite a bit quicker...actually almost too quick. I dipped my badges a couple of days ago and it seems like the paint did not have time to settle/flatten out to a smooth finish. After 2-3 minutes it was completely dry. My grill is now textured somewhat like bedliner. If at all possible, derp your area out of direct sunlight.
Same thing in alabama my valance feels like 80 grit sandpaper
Old 07-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #3648
wanna tacoma is on a distinguished road
wanna tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Where do you all get your plasti dip from? I've seen I think clear, black, and white at lowes. But I am thinking about doing my emblems the blaze green or possibly blaze orange since my truck is black. I got on dipyourcar.com and for 2 cans the shipping alone was like $10 and some change. Who else has a good variety of colors other than lowes?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #3649
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah no kidding, it dries crazy fast. But I'll go ahead and give it more time between each coat, just to let it set. I'll let the final coat set for like 30 minutes before peeling. Even though its not working I think this stuff is cool. I washed my truck yesterday and the 2 badges that are complete didn't peel or chip, they look awesome. Hopefully I can get the other badges to stick. I've been able to get a couple letters to stick. I'll try again this afternoon, hopefully all letters will be DERPified
Old 07-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #3650
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna tacoma View Post
Where do you all get your plasti dip from? I've seen I think clear, black, and white at lowes. But I am thinking about doing my emblems the blaze green or possibly blaze orange since my truck is black. I got on dipyourcar.com and for 2 cans the shipping alone was like $10 and some change. Who else has a good variety of colors other than lowes?
Those colors fade in the sun After a week, don't get them. They will then white. Wait another two months and they will have electric lime(green) and a new orange and purple out
Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #3651
reppinthe509 is on a distinguished road

reppinthe509's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah no kidding, it dries crazy fast. But I'll go ahead and give it more time between each coat, just to let it set. I'll let the final coat set for like 30 minutes before peeling. Even though its not working I think this stuff is cool. I washed my truck yesterday and the 2 badges that are complete didn't peel or chip, they look awesome. Hopefully I can get the other badges to stick. I've been able to get a couple letters to stick. I'll try again this afternoon, hopefully all letters will be DERPified
If it's not sticking maybe there is some grease or something on there. Try to use some degreaser when you clean them.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #3652
jtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nice

Name: John
jtye's Tacoma Gallery
Also, if you cleaned them really well (with alcohol and all that), but didn't dry them completely it wont hold.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #3653
apedosmilglass is on a distinguished road

apedosmilglass's Tacoma Gallery
I PLASTI DIP JUST THE TOYOTA LOGO. ENDED UP JUST TAKING BADGES OFF. THAT WAS KINDA A BITCH
Old 07-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #3654
jtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nice

Name: John
jtye's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by apedosmilglass View Post
I PLASTI DIP JUST THE TOYOTA LOGO. ENDED UP JUST TAKING BADGES OFF. THAT WAS KINDA A BITCH
I did all of my badges and had no problems. What happened?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #3655
wanna tacoma is on a distinguished road
wanna tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmeseke View Post
Those colors fade in the sun After a week, don't get them. They will then white. Wait another two months and they will have electric lime(green) and a new orange and purple out
Do you buy plasti-dip? If so, where do you normally get it from that has a good selection?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #3656
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ACE Hardware here has about 5 different colors other than black and white.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #3657
Fire Pony
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lauren
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by apedosmilglass View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtye View Post
I did all of my badges and had no problems. What happened?
I LIKE YELLING!

x2 What happened? First time I've heard anyone say plastidipping was hard.

Is there a difference between the glossifier and the clear plastidip? Does the clear just come out matte?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #3658
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you buy plasti-dip? If so, where do you normally get it from that has a good selection?
i buy black and white locally at home depot, i buy everything else on dipyourcar

go to their forums if you want to learn more about which colors do and do not fade and which colors require basecoats etc, you will learn alot on their forums
Old 07-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #3659
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCB View Post
How do yall get the clean paint lines on the valance? i tried it tonight and it all peeled off i did my grill no problem but the valance eludes me haha.
I very skillfully used a thin sharp blade to cut the dried dip off the edge of the tape as I peeled. Worked on both my valence and wheels. Just enough pressure to cut the coating but not damage the surface underneath. On my wheels, I only sprayed the recessed areas and left the lip and flats clean. Gives a sort of Dick Cepek look to the stock TRD rims.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #3660

Finally worked!!! I did 7 "light" coats, but one layer on top of the other added up to very good coverage. If the overspray around the badge is thick then it's gonna be hard to separate from the letters. I made sure not to lay it on too thick, plus I cleaned the areas very well this time. I'm gonna Dip my wheels next, but probably gonna take them off the truck first.

Products Discussed in this Thread