Good Idea 1,214 67.56%
Bad Idea 133 7.40%
Plasti-Derp 360 20.03%
I'm jelly... 121 6.73%
You jelly??? 187 10.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1797. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #3761
Blze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant future

Air Force:
Name: JD
Blze001's Tacoma Gallery
Did me some wheel dippage yesterday. Makes the stock wheels look a little sharper, almost like poor-man's Cepeks

Old 07-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #3762
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ that's nice. I like it. Suptle change that makes a big difference.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #3763
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
^^
Did same thing in my wheels a few weeks ago. I like it.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #3765
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone ever tried the clear plasti dip and used it as a replacement for 3M rock guard? If you put enough coats of PD, it should hold up right?
Old 07-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #3769
Texas Aggie
CO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to behold
Name: Tyler
CO Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Dipped Emblems

Dipped my emblems yesterday. As you can see it started raining and i was doing it at my apartment complex but got under a covered area. Painting was fun, masking things off was not. Wheels and Bumper are today, maybe the grille too.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #3770
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
About to dip my grille until I can get it colormatched at the body shop
Old 07-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #3771
TXtycoon is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
TXtycoon's Tacoma Gallery
OK guys... I just bought three cans of the spray and I'm about to take the plunge. Before I do so can someone give me some pointers? I'm going to be painting the simulated beadlocks on my wheels

I heard its "best" to do this in a low-humidity environment, I live in Houston and the humidity is very high here. Will most likely be doing this outside in my driveway

What should I put on my wheels before I put the plasti dip on? I'm obviously going to clean it with water but what else should I do?

I also thought about getting the glossifier spray but didn't.. anyone used this and liked it? I just figured it was unnecessary
Old 07-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #3773
Massive Member
grueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
grueinthebox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtycoon View Post
OK guys... I just bought three cans of the spray and I'm about to take the plunge. Before I do so can someone give me some pointers? I'm going to be painting the simulated beadlocks on my wheels

I heard its "best" to do this in a low-humidity environment, I live in Houston and the humidity is very high here. Will most likely be doing this outside in my driveway

What should I put on my wheels before I put the plasti dip on? I'm obviously going to clean it with water but what else should I do?

I also thought about getting the glossifier spray but didn't.. anyone used this and liked it? I just figured it was unnecessary
I've not had any problems using PD in my driveway in the humidity. Wash the surface well, then clean again with rubbing alcohol. Without the glossifier the PD will have a matte/satin look to it. I've never used the glossifier myself, but it depends on what you want it to look like in the end. Of course, I love the look of the TRD wheels, so I wouldn't be derping them anyway. *shrug*
Old 07-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #3774
Tortoise*
IndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: AJ
IndigoTac07's Tacoma Gallery
Humidity didnt affect me when I did it in the middle of the summer lol you should be fine

I didnt use rubbing alcohol i just used car wash soap and water and it worked fine.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #3775
Item 9 is on a distinguished road
Name: DB
Item 9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Use rubbing alcohol to clean because it evaporates/dries very quick and effectively.

Since it will be humid I can only suggest applying your coats very thin and just lay maybe 7-8 very thin coats rather than 4 average coats.

Dry time between coats will be crucial since the humidity will slow your dry time.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:34 AM   #3776
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
The other posters are correct. Make sure that you use rubbing alcohol to clean. I used(rubbing alcohol) on my emblems on a first project and it turned out great. I've used the Glossifier spray and it's okay. I did it on my fuel door. Since that I used a lot of it, in certain light, angles, it blends in with the truck. I also think it might because the truck is dirty. In this picture you can tell a difference. I also put the glossy on my emblems and I didn't really notice any difference.

Are you taking the wheels off the truck or dipping them mounted to the vehicle?
Attached Thumbnails
THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-img_0293.jpg   THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-img_0120.jpg   THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-img_0119.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #3777
jtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nice

Name: John
jtye's Tacoma Gallery
I actually used the Glossifier and it worked great, had to do about 4 coats until it started getting really glossy. One or two coats just has a satin kinda finish
Old 07-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #3778
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
What I dipped this weekend.

I had dipped the glossy silver with stereo controls on the steering wheel. It turned out pretty well. There are some spots where the painters tape took some of the dip off around the controls, that's pretty much it. I did a great job for my first time.

I had redone my roof console because of the first time I did it, there was bubbles everywhere and I was too lazy at the time to fix it. Now it's perfect.

Stay tuned, I have a lot of more projects to come.
Attached Thumbnails
THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-img_0322.jpg   THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-img_0323.jpg   THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-img_0325.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #3779
Blze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant future

Air Force:
Name: JD
Blze001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Get an Xacto knife. This stuff doesn't act like spray paint, if you just grab the tape and yank, you'll pull off half of what you just sprayed on.

I kinda cheated with mine, since it's not a high-viz area: I masked off, sprayed, then yanked the tape while it was still wet (this stuff doesn't really run). Repeated twice. Not the finish I'd want on a bumper or area where people would scrutinize, but for the little cutouts that are half-shaded already, it worked just fine.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #3780
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blze001 View Post
Get an Xacto knife. This stuff doesn't act like spray paint, if you just grab the tape and yank, you'll pull off half of what you just sprayed on.

I kinda cheated with mine, since it's not a high-viz area: I masked off, sprayed, then yanked the tape while it was still wet (this stuff doesn't really run). Repeated twice. Not the finish I'd want on a bumper or area where people would scrutinize, but for the little cutouts that are half-shaded already, it worked just fine.
You have to have a steady hand to when it comes to using an Exacto Knife. Really clean the areas that you are going to PD. You should allow a bit of drying time before you take the tape off. But not so much drying time to where it's going to be totally dry, then you will take all the dip off. It's a trial and error process, takes time, practice, patients.

Products Discussed in this Thread