Bad Idea 133 7.35%
Plasti-Derp 361 19.96%
I'm jelly... 121 6.69%
You jelly??? 188 10.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1809. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #3781
Texas Aggie
CO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to behold
Name: Tyler
CO Taco's Tacoma Gallery

Did my radio and the surround. Sorry it's sideways.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #3782
TXtycoon is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
TXtycoon's Tacoma Gallery
Wow guys... thanks alot for all the feedback! I really appreciate it

So my initial concerns have all been resolved. Looks like the humidity won't be a big deal and I should clean with water first then put rubbing alcohol before the PD. And I think I will buy a can or two of the glossifier and try that out as well.

There were a couple of you who had some VERY valid points which I didn't think about. (Item 9 and Blze001)

Applying coats vs masking efforts: I will be doing all 4 of my wheels on my truck. I will be paying careful attention to my masking which means I will be spending a lot of time on it. Since I forgot about the PD ripping off when I unmask.. what should I do? If I'm expected to apply 7-8 coats of this stuff, unmask, remask, then reapply each time its going to be a PITA. I was originaly going to mask, paint, unmask and be done... but if I do that it sounds like I will just peel the PD right off afterwards.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #3783
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtycoon View Post
Wow guys... thanks alot for all the feedback! I really appreciate it

So my initial concerns have all been resolved. Looks like the humidity won't be a big deal and I should clean with water first then put rubbing alcohol before the PD. And I think I will buy a can or two of the glossifier and try that out as well.

There were a couple of you who had some VERY valid points which I didn't think about. (Item 9 and Blze001)

Applying coats vs masking efforts: I will be doing all 4 of my wheels on my truck. I will be paying careful attention to my masking which means I will be spending a lot of time on it. Since I forgot about the PD ripping off when I unmask.. what should I do? If I'm expected to apply 7-8 coats of this stuff, unmask, remask, then reapply each time its going to be a PITA. I was originaly going to mask, paint, unmask and be done... but if I do that it sounds like I will just peel the PD right off afterwards.
How are you masking? I used index cards, like a lot of others on here have, and I didn't have any issues with ripping anything off after I was done, just gotta pay attention. I applied my coats and removed the cards after the final coat and let em sit over-night. You might consider dipping them off your truck, it might be more work up front, but i think it coats em more evenly and you don't run the risk of any running if u accidentally go heavy on the spray. 7-8 coats seems a little overboard, I did 4 coats and it turned out fine, and I didn't have any issues when I peeled it all off. Just my $0.02

Old 07-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #3785
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Truck Bed Cubbies Dipped.

Well I thought that this was going to be the easiest thing that I would dip, I was totally wrong(I'm picky too I might add). The first coats were done in the rain in the cold, I figured it was okay, wrong. Did it again and was trying to figure out how to make it work where the twist knob was. I tried two ways(one on each cubby). First I would spray the whole thing and hope that it would even out where the twist knob was, kind of worked. Second one, I taped off the area where the knobs where(took the knobs out) and sprayed dip on the inside. Then did the rest of the flat, front face of the cubby. That looked like total crap. I took all the dip off(lots of scraping and swearing) and ended up doing it the first way. I realized once you put the knobs back together where they're suppose to go, you don't notice it(lack of dip compared to the front face). I used most of the dip can. Looks good though IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-img_0330.jpg   THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-img_0328.jpg   THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-img_0327.jpg  
Old 07-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #3786
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project.paradigm View Post
Not in Canada. Only place I could find it was Home Hardware for $18.00 a can. Ended up buying a case at carquest in Idaho, worked out to be about $9.00 a can. Ill buy more next time I'm over there for peeps in my area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
Yep. Apparently, Plasti-dip is illegal in Canada. The reason is so damn expensive up here is because they had to reformulate it to meet some inane Canadian standards. I'm sure it's better for the environment n' stuff...but still. Up to $20 for a can? Yeesh.

Like you, whenever I go down to the US I'll pick up a small case for $6/can at HD or Lowes.
I couldn't believe the price difference compared to the US. Hearing some places paying $6.00 a can(US), I was thinking it wasn't going to be that much more expensive. Going to a local Auto Value and seeing $20.00 a can/almost $25.00 for Blaze colours, I wasn't impressed. I do my best not to go through a lot of dip because of the price. Plus I have to be more picky about the things I want to dip.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #3788
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
why not just use rustoleum bed liner spray?
Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #3789
harley is on a distinguished road
Name: harley
harley's Tacoma Gallery
Emblems and Stock Wheels

Dipped my steelies over the weekend. Turned out pretty good. I did 5 light coats but that was too much, it is starting to peel in some spots. This definitely isn't a permanent job but we'll see how much life I get out of it!
Attached Thumbnails
THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-1.jpg   THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-2.jpg   THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-3.jpg   THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-4.jpg  
Old 07-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #3790
Fire Pony
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lauren
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikbean562 View Post
why not just use rustoleum bed liner spray?
Because derp.

I didn't have rustoleum bed liner spray laying around, but I did have derp.

This is not the rustoleum mega thread
Old 07-31-2013, 08:15 PM   #3792
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Note to Canadian Dip Buyers!!!

Hey!
I was at Auto Value tonight and I had noticed they(PD) has changed their nozzles. They are no longer the skinny, small, round ones anymore. They are more fitting to your finger, fatter and lower to the can. I had noticed when I was using my trigger sprayer that the trigger wouldn't go all the way down on the new nozzles to spray and finish the can off. So just so you know. Keep your old nozzles or buy newer ones with older style.

Also:

I asked the Customer Service person, "how come prices are so much higher than the US?". He said, "apparently because some people were up in arms about not having french language on the labelling. So companies had to send them back to get the labels changed".

I don't think because of a label change(even if it was the reason) it doesn't explain the 3 times as much cost from US to Canadian dip cans. I'm sure that there is more to this then just the labelling.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #3793
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlife View Post
Dipped my rear bumper a few weeks ago. Just word to the wise. The white takes a lot more than the black to fully coat.

I used black for the first few things I was dipping. Yesterday I had tried the yellow and it took a lot more to work than the black did.

Do you happen to have pictures of how you masked off before you did the bumper? I'm looking for some pointers if you have any?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #3795
jtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nice

Name: John
jtye's Tacoma Gallery
Got bored and dipped the third light

Actually really like it. Just did three real light, real even coats of the black. Then three pretty heavy coats of gloss.
Attached Thumbnails
THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-image.jpg   THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-image_1.jpg   THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-image_2.jpg   THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-image_3.jpg  
Old 08-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #3796
Item 9 is on a distinguished road
Name: DB
Item 9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Dipped my steelies over the weekend. Turned out pretty good. I did 5 light coats but that was too much, it is starting to peel in some spots. This definitely isn't a permanent job but we'll see how much life I get out of it!
If they started to peel it was most likely due to not properly cleaning the wheel prior to application. It's actually quite the opposite, the more coats the better as long as they are applied correctly under the proper conditions. If I were you I would remove your current coats and give the wheels a nice thorough cleaning and reapply and you should have better luck. I've had mine done for over two months now and they look the same as the day I dipped them and some people report years of issue free dipped items. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #3797
Massive Member
grueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
grueinthebox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1983 View Post
I don't think because of a label change(even if it was the reason) it doesn't explain the 3 times as much cost from US to Canadian dip cans. I'm sure that there is more to this then just the labelling.
Supply and demand - if they're having to print special labels for a much smaller market, that market has to eat the cost of the special labels (which doesn't just include the printing, but also the process of separately applying them, separately boxing them, etc.).

When are Canadians going to realize that France sucks and they should be trying to distance themselves from all things French, anyway?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #3798
Massive Member
grueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That came out great! From the pic it looks like the white is a very good match.

I've been waiting for a comparison between the new metallic gray PD and MGM, wondering whether I'd be able to pull of doing my rear bumper with it.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #3799
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtye View Post
Actually really like it. Just did three real light, real even coats of the black. Then three pretty heavy coats of gloss.
I love it! Too bad it's a one way ticket to being pulled over where I come from. Either way, that looks awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grueinthebox View Post
Supply and demand - if they're having to print special labels for a much smaller market, that market has to eat the cost of the special labels (which doesn't just include the printing, but also the process of separately applying them, separately boxing them, etc.).

When are Canadians going to realize that France sucks and they should be trying to distance themselves from all things French, anyway?
Yeah! I am not sure how to respond to that.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #3800
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1983 View Post
Yeah! I am not sure how to respond to that.
Smile and nod...

What I want to know is why Canadians still have a separate, higher price on books when the exchange rate is pretty much 1:1 now.

Products Discussed in this Thread