Bad Idea 134 7.30%
Plasti-Derp 369 20.10%
I'm jelly... 123 6.70%
You jelly??? 188 10.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1836. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #3901
So Cal Edition
SWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Name: Greg
SWCCBEE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethinboutayota View Post
Plasti-dip much?

Agreed...........Peel.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #3902
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
2007 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rev View Post
Wouldn't that reduce head light output since you are adding slightly opaque layers that the light has to pass through?
It would. Everything that light passes through has a transmissivity percentage rating. That would be a question for the guys at Plasti Dip or if someone has a light meter they can take a nit rating before and after.

Someone could afterwards install Silverstar headlight bulbs to make up the difference. In my experience don't get Silverstar Ultra though. I was very careful not to touch the bulbs and the Ultras burn out on me within 6 months. The Silverstar ones just below the Ultras seem to be just as bright, last longer, and cost less.

My main excitement over clear is paint protection from gravel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
um... Take your time I've never actually derped anything. haha Going to go for all black though huh? Or did you have a colored derp in mind? Do they make a silver?
I washed my rims really well and discovered they're actually almost the same color as my paint. The centercaps are plastic though and look horrible. I think I'm going to get a can of gunmetal, one of silver, maybe pearlizer or something else and see which one looks better against the paint when put on my centercaps.

I'm not going to be big on layering like a lot of people are on dipyourcar. They layer different color and coat types, mix spray streams from different cans while in the process of derping, all kinds of things to get the color they want. For my wheels and underbody though I'm going to have to be doing repairs to the derp and that needs to come right out of the can. Once it's done, good luck getting a custom coat to match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt562 View Post
Got my first cans of Plasti-dip, what to dip first is the question??
A big piece of cardboard. Hold it up against various places on your truck you think would benefit from the added protection and see if you like the color.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #3903
Taco Fish is a splendid one to beholdTaco Fish is a splendid one to beholdTaco Fish is a splendid one to beholdTaco Fish is a splendid one to beholdTaco Fish is a splendid one to beholdTaco Fish is a splendid one to beholdTaco Fish is a splendid one to behold
Name: Matt
Taco Fish's Tacoma Gallery
OK I have a question. I just bought my 2011 Taco last week and the front bumper came with some gouges from the previous owner (my Father In-law) hitting the side of his garage. So I want to dip my bumper until I have enough extra $ to buy a plate bumper.

What color would look best with MGM? Is the gun metal close to MGM or should I go with black?

I also want to do my wheels in gun metal.

edit: I should also add that I plan on getting a black Softopper soon too.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:14 AM   #3904
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
It's all preference. The best part about plasti dip is it's easily removable. Try both colors if you can and see which you like best.

But in my opinion I would go black. Especially since your getting the black softopper.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #3905
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
2007 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
X2. The gunmetal looks like it would be a shade lighter and the black a shade darker so your preference. You can get both colors at Home Depot though so see which one you like the best.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #3906
Fire Pony
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lauren
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
Derp does not play well with gasoline. Went to fill up my truck and gas poured out of the nozzle as I was putting it in and got on my derp flare. Tried to wipe it off and it screwed it up. My advice is to not wipe it lol
Old 09-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #3907
Taco Fish is a splendid one to beholdTaco Fish is a splendid one to beholdTaco Fish is a splendid one to beholdTaco Fish is a splendid one to beholdTaco Fish is a splendid one to beholdTaco Fish is a splendid one to beholdTaco Fish is a splendid one to behold
Name: Matt
Taco Fish's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 tacoma View Post
X2. The gunmetal looks like it would be a shade lighter and the black a shade darker so your preference. You can get both colors at Home Depot though so see which one you like the best.
It wouldn't look good lighter so I'll go black. I should probably do the wheels in black too now that I think about it.

Thanks for the opinions.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #3908
Texas Aggie
CO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to behold
Name: Tyler
CO Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Ran out of things to Dip

I dipped my wheels yesterday. all the chrome on my truck (bumper, grille, wheels, badges) are black now. I barely finished before it started raining, so I'll edit and post better pictures when things clear up.

Now my new problem is that my headlights are glaringly white; i've gotta do something to them.. i don't want to blhm at the moment. i'm tempted to put a smoke vinyl film on them (and the tail lights), but i haven't seen that before. suggestions are welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-wheels.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #3910
Texas Aggie
CO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to behold
Name: Tyler
CO Taco's Tacoma Gallery
That's something else i've been thinking. I've looked at these guys before: http://www.protuninglab.com/05totapi...tm_content=pla

they're pretty cheap, I've thought that if i do buy them I should pre-emptively put a bead of window sealer around the housing. i don't know what other precautionary measures i could take to prevent fogging/water intake of cheap headlights
Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 AM   #3911
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethinboutayota View Post
Plasti-dip much?

shouldnt hurt to peel without body hair

the dip covered up the trim, and the locks... where is one supposed to put the key?

Oh i got it, this is the pop n lock tailgate mod everyones talking about!! They sell it on ebay right?
Old 09-27-2013, 04:18 AM   #3912
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Horse View Post
Derp does not play well with gasoline. Went to fill up my truck and gas poured out of the nozzle as I was putting it in and got on my derp flare. Tried to wipe it off and it screwed it up. My advice is to not wipe it lol
i have spilled gas on the side of my derped truck, pretty much every fill up and haven't noticed any problems aside from a small stain. but all the dirt stains the derp.

I never tried wiping it.. I did have an accident cleaning derp off badges and the pb blaster drip on the derped bumper. had to redo the bumper.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #3913
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Taco View Post
I dipped my wheels yesterday. all the chrome on my truck (bumper, grille, wheels, badges) are black now. I barely finished before it started raining, so I'll edit and post better pictures when things clear up.

Now my new problem is that my headlights are glaringly white; i've gotta do something to them.. i don't want to blhm at the moment. i'm tempted to put a smoke vinyl film on them (and the tail lights), but i haven't seen that before. suggestions are welcome!
You can use the derp for some eyelids in the meantime.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #3914
T-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T-rev's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Taco View Post

Just do the BHLM. I had some film on the head lights for a few weeks. I lost about 25% head light output, removed them cause I couldn't see well at night; if it rained it was like driving with no lights on at all. This is what it looked like with the film on.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #3915
So Cal Edition
SWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Name: Greg
SWCCBEE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rev View Post
Just do the BHLM. I had some film on the head lights for a few weeks. I lost about 25% head light output, removed them cause I couldn't see well at night; if it rained it was like driving with no lights on at all. This is what it looked like with the film on.

Looking to prolly do the BHLM. anyone know of the most consistent (as in does not leak or condense within a week) work?

Also I have some of Jumpers LEDs as my DTRL, will that affect?
Old 09-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #3916
Bussy36 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Bussy36's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone black out their front end with dip? Something like the pic I have attached? I found the truck image on google and photoshopped it. Any thoughts?

I searched through about 50 pages of this thread and searched the entire forum without any luck on this particular request. Not sure how I feel about it. Part of me thinks it might look pretty badass with the hood, grill, bumper, and valence blacked out.
Attached Thumbnails
THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-tacoblackfrontend.jpg  
Old 09-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #3917
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bussy36 View Post
Anyone black out their front end with dip? Something like the pic I have attached? I found the truck image on google and photoshopped it. Any thoughts?

I searched through about 50 pages of this thread and searched the entire forum without any luck on this particular request. Not sure how I feel about it. Part of me thinks it might look pretty badass with the hood, grill, bumper, and valence blacked out.
Had something similar to what youre looking for on my old truck:

Old 09-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #3918
Bussy36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PreRunner View Post
Had something similar to what youre looking for on my old truck:

That looks sweet!! I like the bumper white too, breaks it up a bit. Very cool and unique. Aggressive looking.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #3919
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bussy36 View Post

If you did your front end, I would do the hood, lower valence, and roof. I think that would look sick, either way I think you should do your roof, lol. I'd do mine, but it's already black.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #3920
Bussy36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
If you did your front end, I would do the hood, lower valence, and roof. I think that would look sick, either way I think you should do your roof, lol. I'd do mine, but it's already black.
I like your idea but I feel like if I did the hood, I'd have to go all the way back and do the tailgate too. Don't think I want to get that far into it. I do think the roof would be super easy to do. I am kind of unsure how I would go about the hood as far as taping around the scoop...

Products Discussed in this Thread