Bad Idea 135 7.24%
Plasti-Derp 374 20.06%
I'm jelly... 124 6.65%
You jelly??? 189 10.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1864. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #3921
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bussy36 View Post
I like your idea but I feel like if I did the hood, I'd have to go all the way back and do the tailgate too. Don't think I want to get that far into it. I do think the roof would be super easy to do. I am kind of unsure how I would go about the hood as far as taping around the scoop...
Just mask it off as if you were painting. Then score the edge with a razor before peeling the tape.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #3922
Bussy36 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Bussy36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
Just mask it off as if you were painting. Then score the edge with a razor before peeling the tape.
The idea of using a razor on my truck scares the hell out of me. I have come across the suggestion to use layers of tape, peeling off 1 layer after each coating of dip. The suggestion called for using something like electrical tape so each layer would not peel off the tape underneath. The issue with that, I would imagine, would be having to get each layer of tape lined up perfectly.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #3923
The Slow But Getting Somewhere Build
tacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AC-130W Crew Chief
Name: Dane
tacodane's Tacoma Gallery
what do you guys think of plasti derping this tan?
Attached Thumbnails
THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-view-1.jpg   THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!-view-2.jpg  
Old 09-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #3924
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The idea of using a razor on my truck scares the hell out of me. I have come across the suggestion to use layers of tape, peeling off 1 layer after each coating of dip. The suggestion called for using something like electrical tape so each layer would not peel off the tape underneath. The issue with that, I would imagine, would be having to get each layer of tape lined up perfectly.
Pb blaster eats plasti dip like candy. Wd40 does pretty good too. If you tape and spray and it dries too far to peel the tape carefully putting blaster on the tape with a brush eats the dip and it wont peel. I did it once worked good but I just try to work fast and peel the tape before it sets up on small projects. Razor works well too but it takes finess. Getting clean lines on the dip without a gap is kinda a pain in the butt. I have thought about using foam weather strip on top of painters blue tape then peeling it off but I habe not tried it yet.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:16 AM   #3925
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Tape off the edge of the hood, then as you put down layers of plasti dip make sure to put 1 or 2 light coats on the edge (where the tape is) until the end. That way once when the center part of the hood is fully coated you can go back and put 2-3 layers all at once around the edge. Before the edge dries make sure to pull up the tape. You get perfect strait lines and even coats every time. Practice first if you need, but it's actually very easy.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #3926
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Good tip I might try to plasti-dip something soon.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #3928
tacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naholo808 View Post
Just derped my side emblems. Getting the derp out between the Os and As is a pain!!
Any advice on getting those out?
nice pair of tweezers.lol
Old 09-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #3930

Quote:
Nice. I'll try it out.
Be easy you don't want to mess up the nice derping you did
Old 10-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #3932
wanna tacoma is on a distinguished road
wanna tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I finally bought my first can of Plasti-dip while I was at Lowes yesterday. I'm debating what I should try first. Should I derp the front grill surround and leave the Toyota emblem chrome or derp that too? I'm not sure how much I will have left after I do that, just wanted to try it out and then go from there it comes out pretty good.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #3933
Naholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud of

Name: Jordan
Naholo808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna tacoma View Post
I finally bought my first can of Plasti-dip while I was at Lowes yesterday. I'm debating what I should try first. Should I derp the front grill surround and leave the Toyota emblem chrome or derp that too? I'm not sure how much I will have left after I do that, just wanted to try it out and then go from there it comes out pretty good.
Do you have chrome bumpers? If not, them derp it!
Old 10-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #3934
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just derped my side emblems. Getting the derp out between the Os and As is a pain!!
Any advice on getting those out?
toothpicks can work too
Old 10-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #3935
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCCBEE View Post
Looking to prolly do the BHLM. anyone know of the most consistent (as in does not leak or condense within a week) work?

Also I have some of Jumpers LEDs as my DTRL, will that affect?
Patience. Remove them, bake them, pry apart, paint, assemble, and then seal. The most important part is the sealing. Use a bathroom/kitchen or aquarium sealant (one that dries clear). Just make sure you take your time with the sealing, that's where most mess up. As far as a cure time, let them sit for a few hours before re-installing them and try not to get them too wet for a 24 hour period so the sealant has plenty of time to cure all the way. If sealed properly they won't leak for years. All in all, it can be done in a day.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #3936
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
toothpicks can work too
i have one of the little bitty craftsman screwdrivers, that i busted half of the tip off. Thats what i use it has a little hook to it like a seal puller i guess is the closest i can think.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #3937
wanna tacoma is on a distinguished road
wanna tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I do have a chrome rear bumper that I will do if the front grill surround comes out good., I read it takes a good can of dip to do the rear bumper
Old 10-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #3939
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
2007 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Anyone black out their front end with dip? Something like the pic I have attached? I found the truck image on google and photoshopped it. Any thoughts?

I searched through about 50 pages of this thread and searched the entire forum without any luck on this particular request. Not sure how I feel about it. Part of me thinks it might look pretty badass with the hood, grill, bumper, and valence blacked out.
Have you thought about the gunmetal instead of black? It might go better with your blue.

Products Discussed in this Thread