Bad Idea 138 7.25%
Plasti-Derp 384 20.17%
I'm jelly... 127 6.67%
You jelly??? 192 10.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1904. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #41
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
I have used plasti-dip on my emblems, lower valence, and incorporated it into the satoshi grille I made.

I think the stuff it great. doesn't leave so much texture, just enough to make it a bit rough and stand out a bit. And I have found it does peel off easy.

I am probably going to plasti dip my rims (instead of spray paint)

cheers
Old 11-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #42
francis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the rough
francis1291's Tacoma Gallery
What is the difference between flat black paint from like krylon and plastic dip?? What really is plastic dipping??
Old 11-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #43
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
any spray paint will look great (flat or gloss) depending on your preference. It will be a bit difficult to take off if you so decide.

plasti dip was originally made to coat handles of hand tools. It is a paint base with a rubber/ plastic component in it that gives it a bit of texture to the touch (for the look or feel). It also, because of its chemical make up, can stick to almost anything. When it dries, you are able to peel it away if you choose to.

So basically for our trucks, spraying it is just a look... same as black spray paint, with a little texture.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #44
francis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the rough
francis1291's Tacoma Gallery
Well i got a sprot hood from someone but it needs to be painted white. i wanta do like the scoop insert black. which would be better spray or plastic dip? or does it really not even matter
Old 11-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #45
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
I just plasti-dipped my fender trim rings. I have to say that I do have my doubts about if it will hold up or not.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...aser-pics.html
Old 11-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #46
jfred90 is on a distinguished road

jfred90's Tacoma Gallery
I sure as hell hope this works... I just applied the 3rd coat to one of my badges to test it.

Now the 1 hour wait for drying....
Old 11-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #47
Someone didnt put the tailgate down!
THROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
THROUGHITALLDUDE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfred90 View Post
I sure as hell hope this works... I just applied the 3rd coat to one of my badges to test it.

Now the 1 hour wait for drying....

good luck post a update once your done
Old 11-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #48
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THROUGHITALLDUDE View Post
x2!!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #49
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
I did it to my badges about 9 months ago and they still look awesome!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #50
THROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstr View Post
I did it to my badges about 9 months ago and they still look awesome!
did you spray a square around the badges and peel the excess off the truck paint leaving just the badge painted?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #51
Blackdawn is a splendid one to beholdBlackdawn is a splendid one to beholdBlackdawn is a splendid one to beholdBlackdawn is a splendid one to beholdBlackdawn is a splendid one to beholdBlackdawn is a splendid one to beholdBlackdawn is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Water Walker - E6
Blackdawn's Tacoma Gallery
damn. Didn't know about this product. I might just have to murder out the rims on my charger, since it comes off soo easy. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #52
RT100 is on a distinguished road
RT100's Tacoma Gallery
so how exactly do you apply this? I saw on the lexus forums, but do you have to put paper behind the emblems? or do you spray it onto the emblems and the truck's paint? Do you have to use a razor blade to separate the different sprays on the paint/emblems?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #53
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
did you spray a square around the badges and peel the excess off the truck paint leaving just the badge painted?
I actually took the emblems off because I was going to use kirlon but found this at Home Depot. Did not sand and it has held up good during part of winter and all of summer.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #54

jfred90's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It came out pretty darn good! So good that I'm waiting for the remaining badges to dry so I can start peeling. The only imperfection might be a not-as-clean edge on the inside of the 5 on my SR5 badge. I'll go slower when peeling the rest of the badges to prevent this.

This is probably one of the easier mods, but it really is nerve-wracking when you think about taking a rattle-can to your paint!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #55
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet!!!!! Looks great!!! Works just as advertised thank goodness.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfred90 View Post
It came out pretty darn good! So good that I'm waiting for the remaining badges to dry so I can start peeling. The only imperfection might be a not-as-clean edge on the inside of the 5 on my SR5 badge. I'll go slower when peeling the rest of the badges to prevent this.

This is probably one of the easier mods, but it really is nerve-wracking when you think about taking a rattle-can to your paint!

looks really good though so did you have to cut at all or just slowly pull and it worked that way
Old 11-03-2010, 12:01 AM   #57

jfred90's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
looks really good though so did you have to cut at all or just slowly pull and it worked that way

I just pulled slowly for most of it. You can see the dental flossers in the last picture which I used to help get into some of the tight spots. There was definately no cutting involved.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:10 AM   #58
Bako Taco is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: FF
Bako Taco's Tacoma Gallery
i just did this mod to my emblems the other day and im really pleased with it... no sanding was needed, and you dont need to cut anything around the emblems just peel around the letter/numbers slowly as to not pull the plasti dip off the emblem. super easy mod id recommend to anyone wanting to do it. and yes it is scary/nerve wrecking to take a spray paint to the paint of your truck
Old 11-03-2010, 12:41 AM   #59
Beerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Beerrun's Tacoma Gallery
I looked at plasticoat when searching for slider paint/under coating. What do you think? Does it touch up? Would it just peel off with your leg dragging across it every time you got in the truck?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:26 AM   #60
Leadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Leadgolem's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I used that stuff on some D-rings that hung on my rear bumper of my jeep.

THe stuff doesn't hold up. It'll peel off and look like shit. I ended up peeling all of it off completely.
Spray or dip? I'm thinking the dip is probably the better option for something like that.

Products Discussed in this Thread