LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Paint matching ?'s and paint matching grille ?'s..help please

Old 11-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
francis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Trevor
francis1291's Tacoma Gallery
Paint matching ?'s and paint matching grille ?'s..help please

I am going to be painting the chrome around my grille and i was wondering if any1 knew the best way to do it and the right way so the paint will last a very long time......because i read on here when someone did theres the paint was staring to come off after 6 months cuz of bugs and what not...i know this place on ebay has paint matching spray paint...has any1 got theres off ebay or any1 know were a good place to get the paint from that will match?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
francis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the rough
any1 wanta help??
Old 11-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by francis1291 View Post
any1 wanta help??
Superwhite is actually very tough to match. I bought some paint from a reputable place online, got great reviews on here, spent a good chunk of money on the paint and they have yet to match the paint. They've gotten close but you'd still notice the difference. I finally broke down and bought a color matched grille.

If you spend the time to prep the chrome grille properly, you should not have adhesion issues. Use sandpaper to rough up the chrome surface (something like 2-400 grit should work fine). Apply adhesion promotor to the chrome grille. Then start your paint coats. You can wet sand the color coats to smooth it out and give it a nice clean look, but this isn't required. Then clear coat and give it a good polish to make it shine.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Heres the writeup I did on it. Nothing special, but can use as a guideline.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...html?highlight=
Old 11-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
is yours holding up ok and stuff?
Old 11-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
Trachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Trachito's Tacoma Gallery
at advance auto, autozone, pep boys, and oreilly's you can buy Duplicolor Perfect Match paint. they have a book near the paint that will tell you what code matches your truck's color. The silver matched my truck perfectly.

i followed chrisNJ's write up. holding up so far, but it's only been a week since i installed it.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
is yours holding up ok and stuff?
Yep! Couldnt be happier w/ my decision to go this route over purchasing a new one or having a professional respray.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
yea im planning on gettin an 11 grille and i wanta paint it white and mask off all the honeycomb...this is my first time doing this...i just hope i can get paint that matches...i think i found some but i want it to bo perfect!! i also dont wanta mess it up
Old 11-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
SmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SmilingMark's Tacoma Gallery
if you want to go another route, you can always get a color-matched OEM grill from Dave at Town & country for $190 shipped.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
is that for the 11 grille?
Old 11-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
SmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
yea im planning on gettin an 11 grille and i wanta paint it white and mask off all the honeycomb...
If you're buying a new grill, why not buy it color matched already? (sorry if I'm repeating myself, my bad)
Old 11-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #12
Quote:
is that for the 11 grille?

yes, there is a thread about it somewhere, he can get you '11's if you want. Linwood started it.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
im buying it from a guy that does not want it any more and it is not color matched...the 2 places i have seen were to get paint from is spraycanunlimited out of ebay or automotivetouchuppaint.com
Old 11-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #14
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...d-new-box.html

here ya go. I got mine through Dave. Great guy, loads of help.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
i just called and it is the same price for an 11 but i am getting this grille pretty cheap after i sell the one i have on my truck now
Old 11-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #16
Quote:
i just called and it is the same price for an 11 but i am getting this grille pretty cheap after i sell the one i have on my truck now
Suite yourself, just offering an alternative. That's the best price you're going to find.

Best of luck on the mod though! Post pictures!

I really wanted the 2011 grill too, but it doesn't come in Black Sand Pearl. Oh well, I like my new grill craft better.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #17
i know...thanks for helping though...i will figure something out and will post pics
Old 11-23-2010, 02:47 AM   #18
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
FYI the reason the grill will never 100% match the hood is because grill = plastic and hood = metal. Even if they were both sprayed at the same time, with the same paint, the grill would look a little off from the hood. So just be aware of this, and don't expect a 100% match.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #20
Trachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Trachito's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadic 78 View Post
FYI the reason the grill will never 100% match the hood is because grill = plastic and hood = metal. Even if they were both sprayed at the same time, with the same paint, the grill would look a little off from the hood. So just be aware of this, and don't expect a 100% match.
the fenders are plastic and they look like they match perfectly fine to me