1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer paint sealant and interior protection

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by progrhythmical, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Nov 22, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    progrhythmical

progrhythmical [OP] Member

Member:
    Central Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    11' Tacoma PreRunner Access SR5 V6
    Hello all. I was able to get the "Touch of Class" for my black Tacoma for 385 bucks. I now know that still isnt a very good deal for what I'm getting. I do want to use Zymol in the future. My question is this...Since I have already contracted the treatment and can't go back on the decision, can I still use the Zymol after they have put the sealant and wax on? Or do I have to buff out that wax first? I thought I remember seeing/hearing that somewhere. Any opinions? Thanks

2. Nov 22, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    Turdburglar

Turdburglar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Enola, PA
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCSB SR5
    Trifecta, AVS Bugflector, TRD skid plate, 45% tint front windows, Gerber carseat lol
    I had a similar treatment done to my 2010 before I got it, except mine was called TST and I wasted even more $ on it. If your exterior treatment is a sealant, which I assume it is, then you'll be fine to wax over it without removing it. I've waxed a few times and just kept telling myself that I'm protecting sealant, which is protecting the paint:confused: I guess

3. Nov 22, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    Pure dealer profit......and a waste of money for the buyer.

I was told this by a salesman a long time ago. For what its worth.

A good waxing and scotch guard on your seats will provide the same protection.

GL

4. Nov 22, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    A sealant is a wax your just paying for a over priced wax job. you could of just picked up a bottle of Teflon based wax from an auto care products distributer for 40 bucks and did it yourself. I detailed cars for 5 years and we offered a "Paint Sealant" :devil: and there just a highly marketed wax that's it. Sorry to tell you buy you just got ripped off. :( :facepalm:

5. Nov 22, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    snakebite

snakebite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Hanover, PA
    Vehicle:
    01 tacoma xcab 4x4 AT (7514)
    2005 4runner sport wheels, jeraco cap
    You are not just paying for a treatment to protect your paint finish from acid rain, bird dropping, bug splats, etc...they all eat your paint from the acids in them, but you should have gotten a warranty that stands behind the damage if it happens.
    I know of people that had damage from bird shit that ate their paint and the warranty paid for a paint job.
    The interior protection is the best because of the warranty against stains which kids and messy eaters should love.
    Its not a bad deal, though. It is not a wax but a sealant that binds itself to the paint. Imagine the paint surface has many pores in it and the sealant collects in these pores and hards the paint (kinda of).

6. Nov 22, 2010 at 3:13 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    I should of got a little more into detail with this. A sealant is not a wax per say but the dealers and shops talk it up like it's some armor coating there going to put on your paint. For my cars I use to seal the paint every 8 months and every 8 weeks to give it a deep shine.

As you can see I about 30 bucks on my sealant and Carnauba wax and it lasts me years for both cars. So i back up what i said when i said the OP and anyone els that buys the paint treatment from the dealer.

7. Nov 22, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    This will probably be to much for everyone but if you want to read it. It will tell you the differences between Wax and Sealants.

Carnauba Car Wax vs. Paint Sealants

Learn the facts on Car wax!

You have two basic choices when it comes to paint protection: carnauba wax or synthetic paint sealant. Here you’ll find information on each so you can choose the paint protection that’s right for you.

Carnauba Waxes

Carnauba wax is the preferred car wax of collectors and concours enthusiasts because it creates a rich, warm glow. It doesn’t appear to sit on the paint. It transforms the paint into a deep, liquid pool that shimmers under changing light conditions. The more carnauba wax, the more shine.

The wax is produced by the Brazilian Tree of Life, a palm tree, in order to coat its leaves. The wax provides protection from the sweltering sun and it sheds water so it falls onto the ground and is absorbed by the tree’s roots. If you think back to junior high science class, you might remember that plants release oxygen through their leaves. For this reason, carnauba wax is breathable. Good for the tree and good for your paint.
    Carnauba is rock hard in its natural form. When the leaves of the Tree of Life are harvested, the wax flakes off as the leaves dry out, or they are put into a machine that removes the wax. It comes off in hard flakes. Car Wax makers have to blend the wax with oils, petroleum distillates, or a solvent called naptha (commonly used to thin wood varnishes and paints) in order to make the wax workable. The very best carnauba-based car wax is only about 1/3 natural carnauba. It’s probably for the best since the price gets higher and higher as the concentration of carnauba rises. When a product advertises “pure carnauba car wax” or “100% carnauba car wax”, they are referring to the purity of the carnauba that is in the product, not the product as a whole. One example is Mother’s California Gold Pure Carnauba Paste Wax.

That brings us to grading. Carnauba is harvested and then graded according to color, purity, and where it was grown. Trees grown in the northern area of Brazil produce the highest grade carnauba. The yellow wax is the most pure and therefore receives the highest grade. This is the grade most commonly used in high end car waxes and in the pharmaceutical industry as a pill coating.

Some manufacturers refine the yellow wax again into an ultra-pure white wax to ensure that the wax produces the clearest, most reflective gloss once applied to the paint. Such is the case with Pinnacle Souveran and Pinnacle Signature Series II.
    As you’ve already read, carnauba protects the leaves of a palm tree from the intense heat and humidity experienced in Brazil. The carnauba car wax repels water and, consequently, most contaminants. When applied to any surface, carnauba retains these characteristics. Therefore, an application of a carnauba-based car wax to your vehicle will protect it from UV rays, heat, moisture, oxidation, and environmental contamination. And it looks like a million bucks!

The drawback of carnauba waxes, if you can call it a drawback, is that it does not last as long as a synthetic sealant. A carnauba car wax finish will wear off in approximately 6 to 8 weeks. It depends heavily on the climate in which you live and whether or not your vehicle is garaged. Daily commutes in a hot, humid climate mean a shorter life span for your carnauba wax coat. If you enjoy regular waxing, then the life span of a carnauba wax is just one more reason to indulge in your favorite hobby!

Pinnacle Souverän™ sets the standard
    for carnauba paste waxes!

In a nutshell, carnauba car wax is the wax of enthusiasts. It appeals to people who want the absolute most stunning show car shine available and are willing to spend a couple of hours every month or so to get it. Most of them will tell you it is time well spent.

Paint Sealants

Paint sealants are kind of the anti-carnauba. They last a lot longer, they are easy to apply, and there’s nothing natural about them. This is surface science at its best.

A paint sealant is made of polymers, which are composed of tens of thousands of synthetic particles that are linked together. When a sealant bonds to your vehicle’s paint, it forms a rigid shell. It is not the warm carnauba that seems to melt into the paint. Paint sealants sit on top of the paint like a transparent chain metal suit. They are glossy and slick, but carnauba lovers will tell you they do not have the warmth and depth of a carnauba.

Paint sealants have gotten progressively more popular as time goes on. Some people really love the hard-as-glass look. In an industry that is driven by technology, it seems appropriate that an engineered paint protector is the new favorite among many detailers.
    However, the real selling point of a paint sealant is the durability. A premium paint sealant can last 4 to 6 months, sometimes longer. Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, for example, can last up to 12 months. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 lasts the more typical 4 to 6 months. By “last”, I mean that water will continue to bead and the paint will remain protected from UV rays and contamination. For people that spend more time driving than detailing, the paint sealant is the way to go.

Paint sealants are extremely easy to apply. They are always in liquid form and they spread easily by hand or with a polisher. This time-saving feature makes paint sealants an attractive choice for those who like instant gratification, and who doesn’t?

As you’ve seen, there are a lot of differences between paint sealants and natural carnauba waxes. Glassy, hard shell or deep, liquid shine? Six months or six weeks? These are the basic questions you have to answer before selecting your paint protection.
    However, a growing number of enthusiasts simply refuse to choose. Instead, they coat their vehicles with a layer of sealant for long-lasting protection and then top it with a layer of carnauba for the dazzling shine. Even if you forget to reapply carnauba in 6 weeks, your paint won’t suffer. The Forum Favorite Kit will give a prime example of the shine you can get from a sealant topped with a carnauba. It’s the perfect marriage of beauty and longevity!

Remember, paint protection is one of your vehicle’s basic necessities. No matter what kind of product you choose, Autogeek has got your vehicle covered.

8. Nov 22, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    progrhythmical

Member:
    Central Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks a bunch everyone. Maybe I'll go for the hybrid shine....since I cant get out of buying it. Doesn't sound like it can hurt it. By the way it sounds, if I don"t like it I can just keep waxing after 6 months and the sealant should finally be gone. Thanks for the info :D

9. Nov 24, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    progrhythmical

Member:
    Central Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    Ok. F**K THIS! Spumoni!!! haha! Im got the dealer to trade me for some of the bed rail accessories in stead of the treatment :D I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions about what to do next? Should I just get some good wax and get started? Or should I polish first, then wax? It has only been a week since I picked the truck up. I'm think in there can't be too much that have has gone wrong in a week, lol. But I just want to make sure I'm doing whats best for my truck. I'm new at this stuff. Never really cared about any paint besides this , haha.

10. Nov 25, 2010 at 7:35 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:

Just a nice wax job every 8 to 10 weeks should me fine. I like for off the shelf stuff. But if you can get your hands on some TS Clear coat that would be the best. i can't seem to find it anymore but it's the beat wax i have ever used.

11. Dec 8, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    Anthony

Anthony San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5
    Nfabs Afe Pro Dry UWS linex'd toolbox
    EVERY item as an "add on" is marked way the hell up. window tint, pinstriping, paint sealant, scotch guard, etc etc etc
    go take a look at a new truck outfitted with custom wheels, bedlinders, bedcovers, etc and search the same stuff online, its ridiculous.

12. Dec 9, 2010 at 2:21 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    I tend to agree, I paid for this "protection" years ago and never noticed any added benefit. When I bought my new truck this year we were all getting along fine until the finance manager tried selling me all the "extras" when I declined all of them it got real quiet and was obvious the guy was ticked off.

13. Dec 9, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    asus611

asus611 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab Prerunner
    If you go out and buy Meguire's #20 Polymer sealant you will be getting the same "sealant" the dealer is going to charge you for. I've been using Meguire's #20 for years, it was $50 or so for a huge container. It's great protection for a daily driver. I reapply maybe twice a year max and my paint still looks the same as when I drove it off the lot 7 years ago.

Products Discussed in

To Top