Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Rail Dust

Old 11-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
Carolina Alliance
tarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
tarheelfan_08's Tacoma Gallery
Rail Dust

I have recently noticed some spots(that look like rust) all over my white truck. To the common person you will never see them, but to me they stick out like a sore thumb. I was a bit afraid it was rust so I went to my dealership and had them check it out. They informed me that it is rail dust. Which comes from the railroad when the vehicles are shipped by train. They are going to have a guy take care of it next week for me at no cost. Has anyone ever heard of this? Is their anything I should know?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've noticed tiny little orange rust colored dots on my truck also. Annoys the hell out of me but I never did anything about it. Overall I'm very disappointed in the paint job these trucks get. My clear coat is faded in 4 or 5 spots and I've got little orange dots scattered down the side. One of these days I'm going to strip it down and repaint it correctly!
I could be wrong but the railroad rust thing sounds like BS... Someone else's dealer told them it was something dripping at the factory where it was made.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance
tarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yea sounded like BS to me to. If this rail rust thing is common like they told me then why not cover the cars when moving them? But aslong as they take care of it idc. I still am not sure as to how they plan to do this. I will know more when the guy gets back from vacation next week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I've noticed tiny little orange rust colored dots on my truck also. Annoys the hell out of me but I never did anything about it. Overall I'm very disappointed in the paint job these trucks get. My clear coat is faded in 4 or 5 spots and I've got little orange dots scattered down the side. One of these days I'm going to strip it down and repaint it correctly!
I could be wrong but the railroad rust thing sounds like BS... Someone else's dealer told them it was something dripping at the factory where it was made.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
southerntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
southerntaco889's Tacoma Gallery
Check in the ask a detailer thread. I seem to remember him saying that was actually a common problem caused when they shipped them all the little metal particles coming off the train wheels stuck to the truck and rusted. Have you tried a clay bar on them? I believe that was what he reccomended.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
Carolina Alliance

I have not tried this. If the dealership does not get it off then I will try this. But since they are not charging me anything I will let them handle it. If anything is a free car wash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntaco889 View Post
Check in the ask a detailer thread. I seem to remember him saying that was actually a common problem caused when they shipped them all the little metal particles coming off the train wheels stuck to the truck and rusted. Have you tried a clay bar on them? I believe that was what he reccomended.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
southerntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

southerntaco889's Tacoma Gallery
Heck yeah! lol Free is good any day. I just know I had a bunch of what looked like paint overspray from somewhere on my truck and i couldn't get it off with anything including goo gone. I tried the clay bar and it came right off. Hardly any elbow grease at all. I know that white has to be hard to keep clean. I got the BSM and i've come to hate dust with a passion lol.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
a mild polish will take them off too. nothing to be too worried about.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
Carolina Alliance

They cleaned it, clay-bared it, and waxed it. Still shows up BAD!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelfan_08 View Post
Yikes, that sucks man... Sorry to hear that. Come on up here, once winter hits and they salt the roads you'll have a nice, even layer of white all over your truck and you'll never notice the orange!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:44 AM   #10
Carolina Alliance

Until summer hits and I wash it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Yikes, that sucks man... Sorry to hear that. Come on up here, once winter hits and they salt the roads you'll have a nice, even layer of white all over your truck and you'll never notice the orange!
Old 12-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
v8killerturbo4 is on a distinguished road
v8killerturbo4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelfan_08 View Post

I doubt they clay barred it. Go to autozone and pick up a meguiars or mothers clay kit. Should be about $16. Clay bar the entire truck using the detail spray and it will come off. It happens to every car, it just shows on white. While you clay it, if a spot is hard to come off you'll have to keep going over that spot until it comes off.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #12
Toobold has a spectacular aura aboutToobold has a spectacular aura about
Toobold's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 98 Dodge Ram that had rail dust on it. I noticed it when i went to wax it and it would not come off. After inspecting it, I noticed the little spots and went straight to the dealership. With one look, they said they would have to repaint the truck and did not hesitate one bit. Once its in there, its damage is done and you cant get it out. It eats throught the clearcoat and starts rusting along with the truck metal. Sorry about this, but dont let them get off easy..
Old 12-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
Trever1t is on a distinguished road
Trever1t's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, I bought a new truck and it had "rail dust" too. Damn dirty trains! The dealership made it right for me too.