1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 55,000 Mile 2009 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by onepremiere, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Jan 11, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    OP Where did you get that light bar from????

2. Jan 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    onepremiere

onepremiere [OP] I Tinker

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Left Coast
    Defiant Truck Products. 100% bolt on.

3. Jan 13, 2011 at 1:09 AM
    supremetaco2

supremetaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    +hp, lifted, lights, dif breather mod, debadged, shorty antenna...
    how do you go about putting on the tire shine? do you spray it onto a rag then rub it on? wen i do my tires it always comes out kind of shiny in some places and what not lol

4. Jan 13, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    So you don't scrub and brush in all those areas, like in the coils and behind the shocks? You just spray wash, let it dry, then spray on the bare bones? And you used the barebones in both the undercarriage and the engine compartment?

Also, if I don't have a suitable place to put the truck on jacks (which I don't have) and take the wheels off, can I get the same results by shimmying underneath and spraying?

How toxic is this stuff? Do I have to be concerned where I do this, or if I get it in my eyes while crawling underneath?

Thanks. I would love to get my truck to the condition of yours. I do good interior and exterior detailing, but the undercarriage and engine compartment is where I fail.

Great work, mano.

5. Jan 13, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
  6. Jan 15, 2011 at 9:06 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    thanks

7. Jan 16, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    TJ Asher

TJ Asher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    '10 Virgin
    Thanks for the tips and links. Come spring I plan on doing this type of thing to all 3 of our vehicles.

8. Jan 17, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    onepremiere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Left Coast
    I use a brush with long soft bristles, give you an even coat. I spray some on the tire and the rest on the brush.

9. Jan 17, 2011 at 10:18 AM
    onepremiere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Left Coast
    Some on the areas in plain view I will use a brush before I add barebones. Most of the time, with each wash, I spray out the under-carriage so there isn't much debris build up. Keeping up with that helps save you time in the long run. Most of the stuff is loose and will come right off with a steady stream of water.

Yes, I use the barebones for my engine bay, under-carriage and even on my tires if I am out of my tire shine.

You can get the same results without taking the wheels and tires off, you just might have to crawl around a bit. The stuff is non-toxic, its only harmful if ingested. It smells like a grape jolly rancher.

I did my co-workers truck this weekend, and his engine bay had not been touched since he bought it. All it took was a rinse, some diluted degreaser and barebones to bring it back to life.

You do not need to dilute barebones. It is water resistant so It would just separate from the water.

10. Jan 17, 2011 at 1:33 PM
    novataco

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    Thank you so much. Awesome work and great reply. I am going to order some supplies with a friend who also has a silver access cab, just like me.

Since I already am in the habit of clay bar, polishing with Sonus products with my Porter Cable random orbit polisher, and Klasse AIO, I will probably stick with those products unless you have a strong recommendation otherwise with this line of products.

one thing I am curious about in their product line, in addition to the bare bones, is their Butter Wet Wax-Wet look shine

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Auto_Detailing_Brazilian_Carnauba_Wet_Finish_Wax_p/wac_104.htm

I usually use (on top of Klasse SG and Klasse AIO) P21S Carnuba wax. But I have the problem that my silver streak Tacoma never rally has a deep gloss look like darker color Tacomas. Do you think this would help give more of a gloss look, and do you think it would stand up as well as the P21S? It also looks like it may apply easier. Thoughts appreciated!

11. Jan 29, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    novataco

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Thanks for the inspiration. I bought some of their products and I am halfway into a full detailing. I detailed the engine bay and undercarriage and used the Bare Bones (my shocks and coils don't look as pretty as yours because they are older and have some immovable rust and grime, but it still looks bad ass). I washed and clayed, using their blue medium clay and the Speed Wipe detailing liquid. Tomorrow I am polishing, sealing and waxing, and maybe starting the interior detailing.

May I point out that you can use the Grime Reaper or the Green Clean for the wheels and not buy the other. Seems like you bought one or two extra products you don't need, due to duplicating, but everyone has their own technique. Thanks again.

12. Feb 17, 2011 at 3:10 PM
    tombiosis

tombiosis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Ottawa Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD offroad access
    2016 Tacoma Access Cab, Super White, TRD Off Road package,//OEM Running Boards//TriFold2.0 Tonneau Cover//FJ Cruiser TRD SE Black TrailTeams replca wheels!
    I don't think you have a problem at all! I only wish I had the time to keep mine looking like that!
    Do you know if I can buy these products in canada? Probably too expensive to order from the U.S....

13. Feb 18, 2011 at 12:33 AM
    supremetaco2

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    thanks 4 the tip onepremiere! my tires looking spot on...!

14. Mar 17, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    onepremiere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Left Coast
    Awesome, yeah using a brush is clutch.

15. Apr 9, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    28Gauge

28Gauge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Grapevine, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Sockmonkey Graphics, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Dee Zee Bed Mat, Map Light/Dome Light LED's, Flo-Pro Muffler w/Stainless Steel Tip, Dome Light/Map Light Mod, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, LED Cupholder Mod, Grillcraft with TOYOTA emblem, Vision 375 Warrior Wheels, Extra Bed D Ring Mod, TRD Skidplate, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, Front 5100's set at zero with Eibach springs, Toytec 1.5" rear TSB add-a-leaf springs, Toytec swaybar relocate kit, Katzkin Leather Seating, Front Window Tint
    Chemical Guys owes you some free stuff! I had never heard of them before until I saw your post. I did a small order to try them out and I was impressed!
    I ordered everything you had listed above except for the Grime Reaper. I am really amazed with their products! Anyone who might be interested in keeping their vehicle in showroom like condition should take a look at Chemical Guys!

16. Apr 12, 2011 at 1:28 AM
    supremetaco2

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    hey onepremiere, do you use grime reaper on the undercarriage too? what did prep work did you do to clean it? I got the bare bones, but i want it looking like yours haha

17. Apr 12, 2011 at 7:46 AM
    oneshot808

oneshot808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    16 T4R 4x4 GH05T
    Wet Okoles/Weather tech all around, LED's +HIDS, 6"Fabtech w/ Fox front & rear
    :eek: I thought I tweaked on detailing... :bowdown: your a beast!! thanks for the links I'm gonna order some of the things mentioned...

which sealant do you use? I saw that they had diff types...

18. Apr 25, 2011 at 9:24 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    For me it seems Perfection is not possible... I live in Canada eh, so a winter and its scratched to crap. Even when I bought it there was scratches, and they sent it to the body shop like 50 times and still had scratches, I gave up and now I am not to keen to care..

Products Discussed in

To Top