Notices

Badge Gunk

Old 08-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
Evilbullit is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Evilbullit's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Badge Gunk

Hey all,

I recently picked up a used 01 Tacoma with all the pretty emblems still attached. I decided to de-badge the thing and go for the "panda" look (white w/ black).

Anyway, the tailgate ones came off without a hitch, cleaned, buffed and waxed...good as new.

The sides are a different story. I used dental floss to remove the 1 piece "toyota TACOMA", again no problems getting them off. But, there is a "crunchy" residue left behind that I cant get to come off. I've tried Oops, Goo Gone and a bumper sticker removal spray (not sure of name). It gets all the adhesive stuff, but leave the hard stuff.

Any ideas what it may be and/or how to get it off?

Checker suggested lacquer thinner, and then immed. wash and wax. hmm, scares me a little.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:49 PM   #2
Pat will become famous soon enough

Pat's Tacoma Gallery
Try some WD40.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i did mine, and i used some goo gone. worked really good. then afterwards, its a good idea to do the claybar/polish/wax method on the whole truck. if you dont wanna do that just yet for the whole truck, a bit of polish and wax will be ok, and it will take away the outline if you have one where the emblems were at.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:28 AM   #5
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
You might try some spray cleaner/wax (like plexus). It'll soften then stuff up. WD40 would prolly have the same effect.
Last resort you can try some mayonaise. (It works on bugs and tar...)

Good luck!!
Mayo ?!? I don't eat that nasty stuff, but it appears to be useful for something.

I'll try the WD-40

Thanks guys.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
hearno is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
hearno's Tacoma Gallery
As one of the other guy said... Goo Gone - its the shit. I wouldn't put WD40 on my paint.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearno View Post
As one of the other guy said... Goo Gone - its the shit. I wouldn't put WD40 on my paint.
You would be one of the few- Works great to make love bugs easier to clean off- He'd be be all set- considering the OP says that Goo Gone didn't cut it.

Gotta do what it takes...
Old 08-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
Air Force:
Well, its finally off. Ended up taking it to my local Russian body shop :-)
They used a 3M rubber wheel of some sorts, only took about a minute and its good as new.

Goo Gone = fail
Oops = fail
3M adhesive remover = fail
Random sticker remover = fail
Bug and Tar remover = fail
Couldn't bring myself to use Mayo

They said it was just 8 years of sun baked crap.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilbullit View Post
Well, its finally off. Ended up taking it to my local Russian body shop :-)
They used a 3M rubber wheel of some sorts, only took about a minute and its good as new.

Goo Gone = fail
Oops = fail
3M adhesive remover = fail
Random sticker remover = fail
Bug and Tar remover = fail
Couldn't bring myself to use Mayo

They said it was just 8 years of sun baked crap.
Glad that the Russians could hook you up!! Enjoy =)
Old 08-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
I brought my 4 days out of the bodyshop truck back to the dealership today because my seat track still isn't behaving correctly and I'm now missing my gas cap strap. While I was there I pointed out a spot on the door where they'd stuck some kind of bulletproof masking tape and didn't take the residue off before I got the truck back.

Asked what I could use to get it off, I had tried WD-40, GoJo (no grit), Goo Gone, even Windex as a last resort. Nothing touched it.

Body shop manager said "Mother's polishing wax, it's what we use". Haven't tried it yet but I'm a tad scared to try, seems to me like the wax would harden before I got all the sticky stuff off and it would be sealed there for life.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #11
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
I brought my 4 days out of the bodyshop truck back to the dealership today because my seat track still isn't behaving correctly and I'm now missing my gas cap strap. While I was there I pointed out a spot on the door where they'd stuck some kind of bulletproof masking tape and didn't take the residue off before I got the truck back.

Asked what I could use to get it off, I had tried WD-40, GoJo (no grit), Goo Gone, even Windex as a last resort. Nothing touched it.

Body shop manager said "Mother's polishing wax, it's what we use". Haven't tried it yet but I'm a tad scared to try, seems to me like the wax would harden before I got all the sticky stuff off and it would be sealed there for life.
Make them do it??
Old 08-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
Make them do it??
Are you kidding? It took them two weeks to figure out they didn't have the right paint in the shop! Would probably take them two more just to get the gunk off!
Old 08-31-2008, 05:49 AM   #14
Slow is on a distinguished road

Army: Gun-Bunny
Slow's Tacoma Gallery
Used to run detail shop...buy "Goof-Off". Soak portion of terry-cloth towel and hold on area for 2 minutes. Shouls start to dissolve. Promptly use a cleaner-wax like Mothers when done to clean paint of the goof-off.