Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Cold weather washing

Old 12-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Cold weather washing

I searched about and couldn't find the info for which I was looking.

It gets somewhat cold in PA over the winter months and I try to keep both of our vehicles clean with all of the salt on the roads and would rather avoid the automated car wash as much as possible, which leaves me in the driveway hand washing upon occasion.

Does anyone have any experience with any type of glove that would keep one's hands warm while washing a vehicle in the winter? Would a neoprene wetsuit glove work for this purpose? Thin rubber gloves keep the hands dry but have no insulation value.

I could use warm water, but by the time one is drying the water is air temperature again.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Brock. I never was a huge fan of the wash mitts and was looking for something with a bit more dexterity, but if I cannot find anything I will give that a shot.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #4

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Those might just work pretty good. I don't care what they look like, just want to avoid losing fingers to the cold. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Those might just work pretty good. I don't care what they look like, just want to avoid losing fingers to the cold. Thanks!
haha

I know it may be more pain that it's worth but maybe do a half bucket of warm water then refill it when it gets cool. Or turn your water heater up and get it really hot and until it gets comfortable wet the sponge fast.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I just keep high pressure washing through these winter months at local car wash, then wash by hand in spring again. I dont want swirls and the road salt may cause that if not washed properly.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
Yup..a good wax before winter..then follow the same as above..was-30C last night..the water in the bucket would freeze..lol
Use a metal bucket and propane camping stove
Old 12-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #8

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I hit the pressure washer now and again and the no-touch car was, but it doesn't take off the road film like a hand wash does. I try to get out there whenver the weather breaks.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
haha

I know it may be more pain that it's worth but maybe do a half bucket of warm water then refill it when it gets cool. Or turn your water heater up and get it really hot and until it gets comfortable wet the sponge fast.
I always do this, works great. I also boil the water on the stove in a big pot, then carry it outside and mix it with cold water until it's very warm (almost unbearable) and then I go to work.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
TacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
TacoMal's Tacoma Gallery
How bout these...

http://gear.camping.com/seal-skinz-s...=GoogleProduct
Old 12-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Find a touchless car wash or use a rinseless car wash.

http://www.autogeek.net/dp-rinseless-four-in-one.html

Auto Geek has a sale through tomorrow, 15% off plus free shipping on orders over $50, Use coupon code ELF at checkout.

I use the product I linked above.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #13
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
I hit the pressure washer now and again and the no-touch car was, but it doesn't take off the road film like a hand wash does. I try to get out there whenver the weather breaks.

Your right though....it does look like shit and it bothers the hell out of me, but I found over the years that its just best to let it go, and hand wash when the temps hit above 60 degrees. Which in our neck of the woods will be April.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #14
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery

On cold days ... I use long rubber type gloves and wash with whatever. I always use water that is not too different in temp than that painted surface.

You can get long rubber gloves (almost to elbow) (used mainly for chemicals) at larger Lowes, Home Depot and large hardware stores.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #15
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Some of you 'guys' seem a little lacking in testosterone, quite frankly.

I have always taken a 5 gallon bucket filled with warm / cool water and car wash suds, capped with a normal wash mit with me to the power wash.

I uncap the bucket, rinse it off with a round of quarters, agitate the suds right at the end of the rinse, and then go to work with the hand wash. I bring an extra mit for the lower areas, rims and a real crappy old mitt for the tires.

2nd round of quarters is for rinse and 'wax' and re-rinse. Chamios pre-saturaed in warm water and brought along dris the majority of the surface. Not a big deal.

Last time was 3 days ago in 20 degree weather. Droplets that freeze first (roof, bumper) are left.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #16
Intentionally cosmetically incorrect.
TacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
TacoBow's Tacoma Gallery
PA winters can be very cold. Although I've not used gloves to wash a vehicle, having a keystoker (hard coal furnace) capable of housing 2 domestic hot water coils that produce roughly 5 gallons of 180 degree water in a little over a minute is likely why I never considered it.

If you really want gloves, take a look at some of the more flexible ice fishing varieties. Dexterity is very good and cold water is not an issue while wearing them...

They range from the inexpensive like this -

http://www.redrockstore.com/Catalog/...on=show_detail

To the more pricey offerings like these -

http://www.glacieroutdoor.com/products_water.php
Old 12-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #17
surfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed
surfrat's Tacoma Gallery
go get a pair of 7mm or 5mm neoprene dive gloves
Old 12-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #18
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
I washed mine today. I fill the bucket with hot water from my tub. Put a ton of soap in afterward and use a pole brush. When I washed the rims and sliders with a sponge I use my Burton ski mittens. They are 100% waterproof and rated for sub zero temp. I also had a rain suit on and washed me undercarriage and frame from the NC mud. My face was freezing from the spray.
Just be careful using hot water on really cold days. You wouldnt want to crack the glass from the instant temp change
Old 12-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #19
GSB is on a distinguished road
GSB's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...roduct-reviews

No water needed. Works great. Just have about 3 or 4 nice thick microfiber cloths.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #20

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTACOMA View Post
Some of you 'guys' seem a little lacking in testosterone, quite frankly.

I have always taken a 5 gallon bucket filled with warm / cool water and car wash suds, capped with a normal wash mit with me to the power wash.

I uncap the bucket, rinse it off with a round of quarters, agitate the suds right at the end of the rinse, and then go to work with the hand wash. I bring an extra mit for the lower areas, rims and a real crappy old mitt for the tires.

2nd round of quarters is for rinse and 'wax' and re-rinse. Chamios pre-saturaed in warm water and brought along dris the majority of the surface. Not a big deal.

Last time was 3 days ago in 20 degree weather. Droplets that freeze first (roof, bumper) are left.
We are all in awe of your manliness, however, I didn't ask how to wash a vehicle, I asked what type of gloves would work for this, more specifically, if anyone had any experience with dive gloves. thanks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfrat View Post
go get a pair of 7mm or 5mm neoprene dive gloves
Thank you. that's what I was thinking, just wondering if anyone had any neoprene experience in cold water. I will give it a shot.