Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Scratched headlight housing, fixable?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
Scratched headlight housing, fixable?

During the summer time my truck gets covered in bugs, so one day while I was cleaning it, I got the bright idea to use the dark green, coarser side of a sponge to remove the bugs on the headlights. It worked great to get rid of the bugs, but I soon realized I scratched the hell out of the plastic housing of the headlights....you can't really see the scratches from afar, but up close it is an eye sore (for me).....can I buff this out somehow?

and
Old 12-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
a little rubbing compound will fix it.

I like to use Zaino fusion since it is a diminishing compound and it not that harsh.

I had a set of headlight come with two pretty deep scratches and I wet sanded and buffed them out and you cant tell they were scratched.

Good luck

Justin
Old 12-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by My68ur8trd View Post
I like to use Zaino fusion since it is a diminishing compound and it not that harsh.
I have Turtle Wax Polishing Compound that "Removes light to medium oxidation, swirl marks and scratches". Is this comparable to Zaino fusion?
Old 12-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
just try out your turtlewax compound, and see how it works. It's likely a mild polish, which means it CAN do the job, but you may have a sore elbow by the end of it. If you've got a rotary polisher, then you're laughin'! Put on the wool pad, and giv'er!
Old 12-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #5

thanks for the replies, i'll try it out nsee what happens
Old 12-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
teamplayer is on a distinguished road

Name: mario
teamplayer's Tacoma Gallery
with compound, with a high speed buffer , it will look like new, if you wet sanded with 1,500 wet sand is even better, before buffing it. good luck buddy.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Agreed, I would try a compound or polish first. See how far that gets you. Worst case, you'll have to wetsand it. Check this link for a great product. http://www.uglyheadlights.com/

It'll have everything you need. Simply westand, wipe it down and apply the clear coat. Easy to do and should take care of your problem.