Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

3m paint film

Old 08-21-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
3m paint film

Has anyone here used the 3m/scotchguard paint protection film? I'm already finding a couple small paint chips on my 2 month old truck.

I understand it is pricy but it also sounds like cheap protection vs a paint job.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Justin626's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS. View Post
Has anyone here used the 3m/scotchguard paint protection film? I'm already finding a couple small paint chips on my 2 month old truck.

I understand it is pricy but it also sounds like cheap protection vs a paint job.
I've seen it put on some military vehicles. You really can't tell it's there unless you get right up on it, atleast when it's first installed. I thought about getting it myself.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.invisiblemask.com/search.html

To do an SR5 2nd gen, price is something like $250 but you can keep going up. Look at both catalogs, there's different patterns in each.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
trd larry
TRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of light
Army: E4
Name: Larry
TRD Larry's Tacoma Gallery
I had it done on my truck, 08 access cab. I had the upper and lower bumpers, grille, front of hood, door edges,door handle recesses, front fender moldings. Total installed was something like $390. My previous trucks all had chips all over the front end and I decided on this truck to protect it. The truck is 1yr old this month and no marks on the front anywhere.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
graceee is on a distinguished road
graceee's Tacoma Gallery
How Did It Work Out --- 3 Yrs Later

So Larry, now that ~3 years are past, does the 3M film still look invisible? I was considering a Husky Bug Shield product that is similar, but customized cut to fit the vehicle. The man who just repaired Belle's [my 2007 Dbl Cab Taco] front bumper for extensive bug/rock damage told me he had 3M film and could accomplish the same task. However, he advised against it because of yellowing. Our TX sun believes it is in Hell and wants to always do a good job tormenting the residents!

The Husky product says it guarantees against yellowing for at least 5 years. But, I have not found any docs about how easy it is to remove at any time. Also Husky only makes the product for hoods and door edges, I think.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
trd larry
TRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of light
Still looks good. My truck is black so I would not know if I would see any yellowing. Still consider it the best investment I made. In fact I had the front of my car done to protect it. I had the car done a year later and the product is even better. It is as strong but thinner. The front of my truck looks like the day I picked it up. No scratches or dings or rock chips. The only way you know its there is if I don't clean the dried wax nfrom the edges.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
trd larry
I had the complete front of the truck done including the hood up to the scoop, he did the mirrors, door edges and the door handle inserts. My old truck was black and I had to have the front repainted after a couple of years. When I got the new truck that was the first thing I had done. Never have looked back.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
Señor Member
AC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AC13JohnG's Tacoma Gallery
Hello fellow brother. I used to be a painter and have installed clearshield before. I can't speak for anything but 3M but it holds up very well. Plus it's way cheaper than a respray.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
how is it with waxing??/
Old 03-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
Señor Member
AC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
how is it with waxing??/
Don't wax it it will cause it to prematurely yellow and get cloudy.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:57 AM   #12
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Its a truck....I would not worry about a few road chips. The 3M stuff is not armor LOL.. If a stone is big enough it will scrap the plastic film and you cannot remove or paint over that. Just drive it and when it gets bad enough to obsess over have someone paint the area,

You can find these guys at new car dealers who painting bumpers and removing dings. They do the trades and are pretty cheap. I paid $75 to have a bumper repainted by one of those guys who do it from their trucks. Its not brain surgery.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #13
Señor Member

I used to work for one of those companies back in the day, they do sub-par work. It'll look good for a while but won't stand up over time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfrog View Post
Its a truck....I would not worry about a few road chips. The 3M stuff is not armor LOL.. If a stone is big enough it will scrap the plastic film and you cannot remove or paint over that. Just drive it and when it gets bad enough to obsess over have someone paint the area,

You can find these guys at new car dealers who painting bumpers and removing dings. They do the trades and are pretty cheap. I paid $75 to have a bumper repainted by one of those guys who do it from their trucks. Its not brain surgery.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC13JohnG View Post
I used to work for one of those companies back in the day, they do sub-par work. It'll look good for a while but won't stand up over time.
I agree. i only get it done (as well as dings) when I am ready to trade or sell.

No sense it doing it twice. I just don't stress over road debris especially with a truck now. With my cars i was more concerned about the aesthetic aspect. A truck is kind of a relief from all that. When I had my 94 and would go wheeling I could not care less about brush stripping and a few rock hits. I usually only washed the undercarriage really good and rinsed the rest off.

I don't wheel anymore but a truck to me is more rugged and less I worry about aesthetically. I was even glad to find a TRD with the unpainted fender flares because they could take a door hit. My last two black cars cured me of the obsession with "finish". I am on vacation now.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
graceee is on a distinguished road
graceee's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Kingfrog;2916060]Its a truck....I would not worry about a few road chips.

CLEARLY, King, you are NOT a TX'n

A truck is not just a truck.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Look up air craft tape on line you can buy enough to do 10 trucks for $180 or less 6" wide. It's what is used on the leading edge of a wing to protect them from stone chips.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #17
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
where do i get if i just want the door handles???