Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Wax on plastic handles...how to remove

Old 08-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #21
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanTRDmachine View Post
if you try the Turtle Wax Ice on it, it works pretty well, but using the Back to Black makes swirl/rub marks
well, up close mine are pretty bad, so i dont really think tw ice will do anything, but i'll give it a shot anyway. armor all dont do shit to it!!
Old 08-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #22
watch the meat
cleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
cleanTRDmachine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cleanTRDmachine
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
well, up close mine are pretty bad, so i dont really think tw ice will do anything, but i'll give it a shot anyway. armor all dont do shit to it!!
if you use the back to black, start at the bottom of the fender then wipe in a straight line the whole way to the other side of the fender so you don't get swirl marks
Old 08-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #23
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
if you try the Turtle Wax Ice on it, it works pretty well, but using the Back to Black makes swirl/rub marks
Quote:
if you use the back to black, start at the bottom of the fender then wipe in a straight line the whole way to the other side of the fender so you don't get swirl marks
cool! thanks for the tip. im gonna try that first!
Old 08-30-2008, 10:36 PM   #24
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Back to Black work's for me. I use it often bc the rain and water from washing it, will make it fade. But yeah, I just rub it on, back and forth. Then wipe it, from one side to the other so I dont get swirl marks and crap. But it looks reall good after words!
Old 09-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #25
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
I got an answer from the Factory on this one. Seems all you guys that said use Peanut Butter were dead on, vegetable oil will cut the wax. Now I got to convince my wife I have not totally lost it when I request the peanut butter to smear on my truck and rub it in real good too! I could mumble in weird tongues while I was rubbing it good to really set the mood.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #26
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I used Canola oil this AM on my black plastic grill and door handles and bed wrap and it seems to have removed all of that old wax crap from them. I'll wait a couple of washes to see if it comes back before I cover it with anything else. Was thinking to use the Quick Detailer spray stuff on the black pieces after I am sure the wax mess is gone.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #27
tdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the rough

tdm156's Tacoma Gallery
I use Black WOW on both our cars and plan to use it on my Taco as well. Its great stuff, easy to apply and goes a long way. Yes its expensive but this stuff cleans, protects and last a long time once you have applied a couple of times.
http://www.showcardetailing.com/bw/
Old 09-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #28
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Another vote for Black Ice Polish...no need to worry about swirls, streaks...or using it in the shade.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #29

Well, it's back.......I did not cover it up with some other product, just let it dry over the last 4 days. I noticed this afternoon that it had resurfaced on the door handles and I looked on the black grill and it was coming back. I'll just scrub that sucker with dishwashing detergent once every weekend and eventually it'll wear down.

I'm glad I did not put anything else on those plastic pieces, just let them dry naturally. I thought the vegetable oil may be acting like Armorall and it seems that is what it was doing. Not "removing" the wax, just covering it up and making it less visible.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #30
Mz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to behold

Mz_TazComa's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Mz_TazComa
I used Meguiar's High Gloss Hot Shine Tire Spray. It came out like brand new. I ended up doing the black on my tube steps, the back of my mud flaps, my grille and the little black piece at the bottom of the antennae.

Disclaimer: After doing all that, I found out it says on the bottle "avoid splatter on painted and non-painted plastic panels". Well so far so good, it still looks like brand new.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:24 AM   #31
red06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to behold

red06toy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #32
red06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to behold

red06toy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm156 View Post
I use Black WOW on both our cars and plan to use it on my Taco as well. Its great stuff, easy to apply and goes a long way. Yes its expensive but this stuff cleans, protects and last a long time once you have applied a couple of times.
http://www.showcardetailing.com/bw/
i have to look into this^