Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

anyone ever had gasolin overflow at the pump?

Old 01-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
larry2375 is on a distinguished road

larry2375's Tacoma Gallery
anyone ever had gasolin overflow at the pump?

was filling up gas the other day and the pump didn't shut off. gas was overflowing and took me a few seconds to shut it off. i rinsed the side of the truck with water and noticed the gas ate away the wax and left the rubber trim dry. washed and re waxed that area when i got home and looked fine after that. is gasoline bad for the clear coat? hopefully no damage was done. did anyone ever had that happen to them? thanks.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
same thing happened to me on my first gen. id say a couple gallons overflowed down the side of the truck. to make matters worse it had been raining for awhile so the gasoline just pooled out on top of the huge puddles at the gas station.

gasoline evaporates so quickly that i doubt it would cause any significant damage considering you werent rubbing it into the paint.

i didnt wash/wax my truck for a couple weeks after that and my truck was fine.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
yes. i had that happen last winter when I was filling up my car (Subaru) - first and only time it ever happened to me and it freaked me out a bit. the people at the gas station were such a-holes about it I've never been back to that station, or that chain of gas stations since. The bad thing about my incident was that the nozzle didn't have the splash guard on it so when the pump overflowed it splashed on the car, me, my jacket and my shoes. Now before I pump I always make sure that the nozzle has a guard on it.

As far as clean up goes...try Simple Green concentrate. It works great on petroleum based spills, stains, etc. Just be sure to rinse thoroughly afterward!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:37 AM   #4
and 1 is on a distinguished road
and 1's Tacoma Gallery
Happened to me a couple of times, but you did the right thing once you got home, by washing and waxing the area that gas overflowed. The clear coat should be fine.

No guarantees, but to prevent this from happening again, keep the nozzle all the way in. There's a tubing sensor in the nozzle and if it goes bad every person who fills from that pump will get a surprise.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
i hear that to prevent further damage you must light a match at time of spill to help with the evap.....of said product