Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

super glue on paint

Old 01-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Live Fast, Die Young
superwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

superwhite10's Tacoma Gallery
super glue on paint

I hope this is in the right section, I figured some detailing guys would know the answer.

I am actually asking for my cousin who painted his emblems black after I gave him the idea. I guess he did not listen to my directions on how to do it and now the paint is chipping off him emblems. I told him to just take them off and fix/repaint them, long story short turns out he super glued them back on his car. does anyone know a way to remove them and the excess glue left behind? would the glue have damaged the paint? thanks in advance!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Googone might work not sure if its made for super glue. Next I would try some gas. Then worst case some nail polish remover. But the last two might not be to healthy for the paint. Tell him to wax the area around it very well.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
t-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
nail polish remover will just take the paint off with it. there is Super Glue remover they sell at any walmart or craft store...not sure how safe it is on paint though.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
He could try and plastidip it. I'm not sure of the specifics, but it wipes off the paint.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Live Fast, Die Young
superwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ive googled how to remove super glue but i get nothing but mixed results. im off wednesday so we are going to try to figure somthing out. pay just tape the edges and touch up the bad spots if we cant find a solution to remove them 100% with no damage
Old 01-25-2011, 06:31 AM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
This happened to me (In a round about way), and I used nail polish remover. It didnt affect the paint. This was on a white vehicle though, so a clear coated vehicle may need to be buffed out afterwards.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
That's a tough one man... I'd say try acetone, or paint thinners. If it doesn't start taking the glue off immediately, don't persist with it, as thinners can eventually soften, and eat through your clear.

If thinners doesn't work, I would sand it out. If you get a piece of 1000 grit paper on a HARD BLOCK, and very gently sand the glue off. You'll have to polish the area afterwards, but sand with 1500, then 2500 or 3000 and you can polish it up by hand with a mild polish.

That's the best advice I could give you man. Unless you just "half-assed" it, and once you remove the badges, use a silicone-based adhesive to re-adhere the badges to the doors, and just glue it right on top of the old glue.

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
Live Fast, Die Young

I guess a big issue would be how to remove an object (ie. The emblems) from the car first, then worry about what it left or didn't leave (if it takes the paint too). Seems like everyone says somthing different. One person says use fingernail polish removed another person says don't use it. May do some experimenting in an area not visible first. But for now im going to help him just tape off around the chips and spray back over where the chips are.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure what to recommend for removing the badges... Never tried to remove crazy-glued badges before, and working in a body shop, if we screw up a badge removal, it's OK because we're painting that panel anyway.

If you must remove them, I'd take masking tape, and mask off AROUND the emblem. The purpose of the tape is to protect your paint, so put it on 2 pieces thick. You can get an emblem remover from a bodyshop supply store, it's really just a metal, or plastic trowel. Plastic will likely break from the strength of the crazy glue, so try a metal one, and GENTLY pry it underneath the emblem, and try and work it off. Be very careful not to dent the panel, or to scratch the paint.

If you're not comfortable with this, I'd say just remove the paint off the emblems (since it's flaking off already) and leave them be. Chalk it up to a lesson learned...
Old 01-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #13
Live Fast, Die Young

thanks for the info guys! going to a body shop tomorrow that a family friend owns to drop off my satoshi grill to be painted and going to ask him what he thinks about it
Old 02-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
I'm gonna bump this thread up. I got crazy glue on my two day old painted plastic flares. It's not much, but it looks really bad on the new finish. Is there any way to take this off without ruining the paint? I am going to take it back the body shop to see what he says, but I am wondering if you guys have any tips.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskie View Post
I'm gonna bump this thread up. I got crazy glue on my two day old painted plastic flares. It's not much, but it looks really bad on the new finish. Is there any way to take this off without ruining the paint? I am going to take it back the body shop to see what he says, but I am wondering if you guys have any tips.
Anything that'll remove the super glue will melt the plastic flares.

Only thing you can do is carefully sand the superglue down as flush as you can without marring the paint with 600 or finer wet-or-dry sandpaper, then move to rubbing and polishing compounds to gloss it back up.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the super quick response. I was afraid of that. The body shop has to do some sanding on the clear coat drips, so should they be able to sand the glued part down as well?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #17
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskie View Post
Thanks for the super quick response. I was afraid of that. The body shop has to do some sanding on the clear coat drips, so should they be able to sand the glued part down as well?
Oh ya... if they're still working the paint, they could handle it.

I didn't realize the PAINT was new... thought just the flares.
Ya... try to pop that off and the paint will come with it.

But super glue can be polished out very nicely. I know a lot of guys that use super glue to put a waterproof high-gloss finish on straight razor and shaving brush handles.