Notices

Kerosene in car wash?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
BigJimHouse is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
BigJimHouse's Tacoma Gallery
Kerosene in car wash?

Have been told by a few detail guys to throw a couple capfuls of kerosene in the car wash bucket when washing the truck; they say it helps protect the paint and the diluted kerosene runs into all the nooks & crannies to help prevent rust.

What do you guys think?

While we're on the subject, what do you guys like for car wash soap?

Thanks-Jim
Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
yes, it actually works pretty good. shines and beads just like wax.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
hmmmm
Old 01-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Can you smoke while you wash your truck ?
Kaboom!!
Old 01-27-2011, 04:42 AM   #7
Johnny M50 will become famous soon enough

Name: John
Johnny M50's Tacoma Gallery
Kerosine and water mixes?
Old 01-27-2011, 05:23 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M50 View Post
Kerosine and water mixes?
Not well but I'd imagine with the soap they'd mix together well enough. I'm guessing it works like Jet Dry for your dishwasher. It helps the water sheet off and evaporate leaving a nice, smooth surface. I wouldn't doubt that it shines up well, but I'd be curious to hear what it does to your clearcoat over time though...
Old 01-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Not well but I'd imagine with the soap they'd mix together well enough. I'm guessing it works like Jet Dry for your dishwasher. It helps the water sheet off and evaporate leaving a nice, smooth surface. I wouldn't doubt that it shines up well, but I'd be curious to hear what it does to your clearcoat over time though...
x2

just add couple cap fulls to your favorite carwash soap. i know it sounds crazy, but it works
Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'd think it would leave a residue on the windows and make the windshield wipers super shitty? Maybe it doesnt though?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I just use wax.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #12
Gonna give it a go; a friend details cars on a part time basis and swears by it; wax is great but can't just get it to flow down into all the body seams, hinges, cracks/crevases where the water flows, plus living in a humid/salty climate (Kauai) it matters to keep your vehicle rust-free for as long as possible.
Will try this weekend and post results!
Jim

PS---what car wash soap do you guys like?
Old 01-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #13
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
dupont final detail oh yeah....like amsoil for your paint!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimHouse View Post
Gonna give it a go; a friend details cars on a part time basis and swears by it; wax is great but can't just get it to flow down into all the body seams, hinges, cracks/crevases where the water flows, plus living in a humid/salty climate (Kauai) it matters to keep your vehicle rust-free for as long as possible.
Will try this weekend and post results!
Jim

PS---what car wash soap do you guys like?
i wouldnt use it to replace a wax, wax is always gonna be better, but yea give it a shot. as for carwash soap, i like to use Pinnacle Bodywork Shampo, no need for kerosen with that stuff . its a little pricy, but the shine is worth it

http://www.autogeek.net/pinbodsham.html
Old 01-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #15
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I would theorize that while Kerosene works great as a bug and tar remover and as an additive in different detail products it wouldn't work as paint protection. It may shine the clearcoat and possibly protect from rust I would think it would remove wax as well.

If Kerosene was the way to go then all the detail manufacturers would just sell bottled kerosene. Also, what are the prolonged effects on exterior bits that aren't painted like rubber and plastic trim.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #16
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Durashine clear gel on everything including black trim and glass once a yr and no soap. Wipes on wet or dry, in sun or shade & rinses off and beads like crazy shedding water like a ducks back til dry. Works like rainX on the windshield. Driving in rain on frwy doesn't require wipers & actually cleans my truck in between washes. I use a super soft bristle brush on a water hose with the water flowing thru it. No swirls in paint, no leftover film like at pressure car washes and no paint or clear coat damage from spray pressure or chemicals or impact from spinning brushes at drive thru car washes. Simple, fast, cheap, effective. I'd be leary of eroding the clear coat using kerosene even with it diluted.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
RedWingsSuck is on a distinguished road
RedWingsSuck's Tacoma Gallery
When I worked at the airport, we would use jet fuel (basically kerosene) to degrease the bellies and landing gear of planes we were washing. Our mechanic used to get mad at us for doing it, but it worked better than any of the degreasers they bought for us, and there was always plenty of it around. A lot of the pilots would use Pledge (furniture polish) on the leading edges and struts to make cleaning bugs off easier. A few even used it on their cars. Shiny, but a little greasy looking.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #18
Yeah, I can see how it might not protect the paint at all but the other more important reason (for me living on Kauai where stuff rusts just by looking at it the wrong way; our predominant trade winds are 15 knots average straight off the ocean, in fact, no exaggeration to say that on windy days the salt spray blowing across the road is bad enough you have to use your wipers) is to protect the metal, hinges, small parts that you can never get to.

Everyone's pretty concerned about makeup on the exterior, what about the innerworkings & stuff you never see (usually where rust starts)?

Have to check into some of the carwashes mentioned; kinda limited to what I can get at Walmart or Checkers/Napa.

PS----my detailing buddy waxes the cars/trucks he works on AFTER the kerosene treatment.

Jim
Old 01-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #19
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JeanClaude's Tacoma Gallery
Use petroleum(by-product) on my plastics or let it stay on my clear? I think not. If you need to remove bugs, get a paint safe product designed for your car. Don't use an atom bomb to kill a fly, use a fly swatter.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #20
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanClaude View Post
Use petroleum(by-product) on my plastics or let it stay on my clear? I think not. If you need to remove bugs, get a paint safe product designed for your car. Don't use an atom bomb to kill a fly, use a fly swatter.
I'll be Vandammed

Products Discussed in this Thread