Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Lovebugs!

Old 08-31-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Lovebugs!

What are lovebugs good for? Are they on a mission?

For all of you who know what "love bugs" are you will understand this question; I have heard that dryer sheets are good at removing love bugs off of your paint, but the problem is that most dryer sheets will scratch your paint. I'm not sure but I think dryer sheets have fabric softener in them so would liquid fabric softener and a microfiber rag do just as well? My biggest concern is whether or not fabric softener is safe for your paint. I think it is mostly a type of wax.

How are you removing them?

Any help appreciated

My trucks not this bad....BUT my gawd!

Old 08-31-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
ohhh thats deadly.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
tdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the rough

tdm156's Tacoma Gallery
They WILL take the paint off too if not cleaned off completely. I had that happen about 10 years ago when it took the paint off the hood, grill and mirrors of a friend of mines truck.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post

For all of you who know what "love bugs" are you will understand this question; I have heard that dryer sheets are good at removing love bugs off of your paint, but the problem is that most dryer sheets will scratch your paint. I'm not sure but I think dryer sheets have fabric softener in them so would liquid fabric softener and a microfiber rag do just as well? My biggest concern is whether or not fabric softener is safe for your paint. I think it is mostly a type of wax.

How are you removing them?

Any help appreciated

My trucks not this bad....BUT my gawd!

Damn! It almost looks like the spray can effect on Paint Shop Pro. Can you imagine what you would look like if you were riding a motorcycle with all that?

Stoner makes this stuff called Tarminator that I've had success with in the past. You have to wax after using the it because it strips all of the wax off as well.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
Beware the Puma...
swatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really nice

swatjoe592's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
For most of the year, lovebugs are beneficial in that the larvae live in grassy areas and feed on dead vegetation within the thatch. This results in not only the eventual release of nutrients back into the soil, but also decreases excessive thatch which can be detrimental to grass growth and serve as a protective cover for serious grass pests.
The adult lovebug feeds on the nectar of flowering plants. Upon reaching maturity the lovebug spends almost the entirety of its life copulating with its mate, hence its numerous romantic nicknames.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatjoe592 View Post
For most of the year, lovebugs are beneficial in that the larvae live in grassy areas and feed on dead vegetation within the thatch. This results in not only the eventual release of nutrients back into the soil, but also decreases excessive thatch which can be detrimental to grass growth and serve as a protective cover for serious grass pests.
The adult lovebug feeds on the nectar of flowering plants. Upon reaching maturity the lovebug spends almost the entirety of its life copulating with its mate, hence its numerous romantic nicknames.
hahaha....jeff corwin in the house!!!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
WTF!!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
. Upon reaching maturity the lovebug spends almost the entirety of its life copulating with its mate.
This is not a bad goal to have!
Old 08-31-2008, 08:50 PM   #10
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

wow, +1
Old 08-31-2008, 08:55 PM   #11
Scavenger
zombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to all

zombot's Tacoma Gallery
if only we could design a car that sucked lovebugs in and turned them into biofuel

you could only drive it for a couple months in the year though.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:27 PM   #12
tylerdjefferson is on a distinguished road

tylerdjefferson's Tacoma Gallery
I know exactly what you are talking about. The best thing you can do is to just wipe it off as best as you can then Clay Bar to get everything off. I dont like the sound of dryer sheets.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:41 AM   #13
Beware the Puma...
swatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
hahaha....jeff corwin in the house!!!!!
HAHAHAHA I wish I could have just knocked that off the top of my head. Its cut and paste from Wikipedia. I thought footnotes would look silly in a Tacoma forum. Sorry guys.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #14
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
HAHAHAHA I wish I could have just knocked that off the top of my head. Its cut and paste from Wikipedia. I thought footnotes would look silly in a Tacoma forum. Sorry guys.
ah come on man....that was funny!!!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #15
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
honestly i wouldnt have said a thing where you got it from. it was pretty cool.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #16
Beware the Puma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
honestly i wouldnt have said a thing where you got it from. it was pretty cool.
Don't want to take credit for someone else's work.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:53 AM   #17
Moose
MooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USS John Paul Jones; Gas Turbine Technician Electrical 2nd Class (SW)
MooseTX82's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Don't want to take credit for someone else's work.
Dane Cook does it.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:50 AM   #18
Wife thinks I am done Modding truck
Imrubicon is on a distinguished road

Army: Crash rescue\Medivac
Imrubicon's Tacoma Gallery
Honda plastic clearner as I do ride a motorcycle and it looked close to that yeech!

Also peroxcied (spelling ) that little brown bottle from walgreens and a old Tshirt.
Soak the shirt and let it sit a couple of min on the bugs .They melt right off.worked on my widshield and my painted fairing .I have ueds it to remove dried baked bugs here in central TX .Also once clean a good waxing will help them come off next time
Old 09-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #19
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Oh man I've been through that stuff in Klamath Falls. There's these little green bugs that are called midgies, small enough that they can fit through window screens on a house. You'll be driving along and think it's either a cloud or raining ahead until you realize it's bugs. As you drive through it, your wipers will stop being useful because they can't push enough bug juice, carcasses, and new bugs out of the way. It's easy to do what happened to that semi in a matter of minutes.

Just remembered too, you'll walk around the OIT campus in the morning and see freaking ankle-deep PILES of these dead bugs swept up in corners of the buildings.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #20
Cleared for Takeoff!!
1BADTACOMA is on a distinguished road

1BADTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 1BADTACOMA
After you get them on your truck just get some detail spray such as Meguiars (sp) and a microfiber towel and they come right off. Wait a week, well then good luck!!