Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Ok. I finally did it........

Old 09-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Ok. I finally did it........

After seeing how nice a "clean" looking Tacoma is, I finally de-badged my truck. I figuered Id try a few different ways to do it. First, I was going to use fishing line as the tool to remove the emblems from the body. I tried removeing the emblems when "cold", 78* this morning. As others have stated, the emblems should be warm to remove. After I removed one cold, I realized this, as it was a B*TCH to remove. Also, fishing line will break pretty easily, so I needed a "Lubricant" to assist its cutting thru the adhesive. I pulled my truck into the sun light, and in 30 min. the trucks body temp. was at 105*. SO, I got started again. I liberally sprayed some System One Wav on the emblem I was removeing, and the fishing line started cutting right thru. I re-sprayed about every letter or so. After the Emblem was separated from the truck, Body Temp now 110*, I used the spray wax and an old rag to slowly wipe off the adhesive residue. I worked it in a rolling motion, and it came right off. Did this to the remaining emblems until they were all off. After I was finished, a quick wax revealed no "Shadows" from the emblems, and the end result looks great! Im really happy and Im not sure why I waited so long. FWIW, I used 10 feet of cheap fishing line. Also, WD-40 did nothing to remove the residue.
Battery is dead on the camera, so I'll get some pics latter! To all who have done this, Thanks for your pics and insight! All you trucks look sweet, and were the motivation for me to do this!
Old 09-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Battery is dead on the camera, so I'll get some pics latter!
Thats no excuse!!!!

looking forward for the pictures chris
Old 09-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ok, Here they are:

Old 09-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome job Chris, that truck looks very clean!
Old 09-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Wow very clean look, might have to consider that myself
Old 09-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #7

Thanks, you guys!
Old 09-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Ahhh Yes,The simple things...Even though it's silver.lol, It does look good. Welcome to the club.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:16 PM   #9
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I liked it better with the badges, but thats just my style.

Which toolbox is that and how much $$?
Old 09-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
I liked it better with the badges, but thats just my style.
Yeah. Im not sure what I think about it. I mean, I like it, but I thought it was fine before too. Main reason I did it was because so much dirt and shit gets stuck in them and to make it nice and clean meant getting a tooth brush and cleaning the gunk out of the badges. This makes cleaning it MUCH more easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
Which toolbox is that and how much $$?
It a Husky Low Profile tool box from Home Depot. $249.99 and on sale for $199.99. They go on sale often.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
great job,Chris!!!! clean looking!!! if you do decide to put the emblems back on.....black them babies out.....that'll look killer bro!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
great job,Chris!!!! clean looking!!! if you do decide to put the emblems back on.....black them babies out.....that'll look killer bro!!!
Thanks Will! Not sure what Im gonna do with the emblems. I thought about painting them black, but I already have enough crap in my shed. And, I took them of cause they collect a bunch of crap.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #13
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I like the write up on the how to and agree the badges catch all kinds of dirt & junk. Your truck looks super clean, I miss how silver just looks good all the time, with or without the badges. Nice work & pics!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
09silvertaco is on a distinguished road
09silvertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

looks great! thats one of the next quick fix mods on my list too.