Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Don't like white 4X4 on mudflaps, but don't want to cut them ?

Old 02-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
lasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant future
Navy: Lead PO Submarine Reactor Control Dvision
lasllc's Tacoma Gallery
Don't like white 4X4 on mudflaps, but don't want to cut them ?

I have never been a real fan of the white 4X4 notes on the mud flaps, but really did not want to cut them off, so . . . .

I was doing the wheel wells with some stuff from Griots and decided to do the mud flaps then the rear diff and frames in back (first nice non-snow on the ground day in a while) when I noticed that the cleaner was taking off the white marking; it is not molded ion, it is applied.

The picture shows the result after a first cut so it is not totally cleaned up yet, but I like it better.
Attached Thumbnails
Don't like white 4X4 on mudflaps, but don't want to cut them ?-img_0138.jpg  
Old 02-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Mudflaps? What are they still doing on?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
lasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant future
lasllc's Tacoma Gallery
I dont like the crap that gets thrown into the back of the bumper, hitch etc. hard to clean.

To each their own, right?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasllc View Post
I dont like the crap that gets thrown into the back of the bumper, hitch etc. hard to clean.
Meh, cut that stuff off and go high-clearance
Old 02-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Since you don't care for the 4X4 letters and the flaps are way too long anyway why not just cut them off above the letters? They'd still offer protection even at that length.
This is the route I'm going. I just got a dremel for x-mas so I'm waiting for it to warm up!
Old 02-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
If you ever do any serious four wheeling, the mud flaps WILL break off... either from being pinched by the tires, from coming down on rocks, or from too much mud weight! These are seriously POORLY designed 'mud flaps'. I kept putting them back on on my 2005. My 2010, I just removed them in the beginning... and got a 4X4 badge that snapped into my trailer hitch receiver. (Why don't Tacomas get a 4WD plaque/ badge like the Tundras get?)
Old 02-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
lasllc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Since you don't care for the 4X4 letters and the flaps are way too long anyway why not just cut them off above the letters? They'd still offer protection even at that length.
Thats a good point and I may anyway if I can't get the last bit of white stain off; I was just too focused on getting the undercarraige cleaned up to go that route at this time.

I am not off road that often and I am not a poser; I dont really care if they scrape on the snow.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Have you thought about painting black over the 4X4? Don't be surprised if deep snow snaps them off!

The First Gen. flaps were great... made of rubber instead of hard plastic, so they were flexible and just moved with terrain hitting them.