Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Cleaning Wheel Wells

Old 09-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
Rockstar Junkie will become famous soon enough

Rockstar Junkie's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Rockstar Junkie
Cleaning Wheel Wells

Whats the best way to clean the black plastic wheel wells? What type of cleaner? I tried cleaning them this weekend with a little spray cleaner I have, and barley did any damage. I know a lot of people just spray tire shine on them, but I want to clean them first, then shine them up. Let me know some suggestions. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Pressure washer, dip the suction hose in good old NON WAX car wash, spray them down, let them soak for a few, then set the pressure back to high and blast them off.

Don't make the water stream too sharp, if I do that with my pressure washer it's strong enough to take paint off.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i usually clean my wheel wells with some simple green/greased lightning and a small scrub brush........and it usually works pretty good too. then, you can spray something like armorall on there and let it sit for a bit, and it'll have some pretty good shine to it.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
"Loud Tires Can Save Lives"
91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

91Toyotabogger's Tacoma Gallery
There is this tire cleaner called "Bleach White' it works well on tires and finder wells and any colored plastic, it will also get stains off the under body, just spray it on let it sit and wash off, i use it under my truck before i spray paint it back black
Old 09-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
I 2nd the Simple Green with scrub brush.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
mr clean magic eraser then hose it off and dry with a shammmy
Old 09-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #7
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

it's in coma's Tacoma Gallery
pressure wash with simple green or wheel cleaner...
Old 10-19-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
mitiko is on a distinguished road
mitiko's Tacoma Gallery
WHEEL ACID is the best I have used.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #9
jarhead773 is on a distinguished road

Marines: 4th MAW Sgt
jarhead773's Tacoma Gallery
I was told that over time using armour all or wheel shine will cause the fenders that aren't the same color as the truck to fade and turn gray. There is a product that is used to renew the soft covers for convertables and he said that won't cause fading. The guy runs a detail shop.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #10
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
I did some roll-on bedliner in my wheel wells. They're always black now.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
I spray mine clean with a pressure washer then spray this tire cleaner on. It cleans as well as shines but if you put it on your tires wait a while before driving as it will sling itself onto your truck and leave a grease residue. Not visible on silver. I normally do my truck at night and don't drive till morning. When sprayed on innner wheel well it doesn't matter.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
I love them eagle one products!! their tire/wheel cleaner is amazing!!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
Motorshooter
Motorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: IC2 SS
Motorshooter's Tacoma Gallery
Simple Green cleaner and a scrub brush
Old 01-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I spray simple green then a toilet brush for the car wells and wheels.

But I do something I dont' think anyone else here has done once cleaned.

I noticed that as the truck ages and I shine my tires with the spray on tire shine, the wheel wells and the frame and all the other stuff in the wheel well fade and get dust on them and generally look dull and dusty.

I now spray EVERYTHING visible in the wheel well with tire shine. It keeps everything shiny and dark.

I think it also makes it easier on future cleanings to get rid of the dirt.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #15
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Damn you guys go all out. I just give it a good spray with the hose.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:19 AM   #16
go big or go home
tacoman316 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Machinery technicion 3rd class
tacoman316's Tacoma Gallery
I use that bleach white tire scrub with a medium bristled brush. After the truck is dry i spray the wells with WD-40. It helps the dirt and rubber from sticking to the wheel wells.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #17
Red Razor has a spectacular aura aboutRed Razor has a spectacular aura about
Red Razor's Tacoma Gallery
When I wash my truck, I always hose off the wheel wells. Then I get in there with a long handled scrub brush to clean them up. I do this while cleaning the wheels.

When I am all done washing, I spray black magic tire shine in the wheel wells. Sometimes I'll let it sit for a while, then go back with an old rag a wipe up the excess.

Nothing uglier than a clean truck with dirty wheel wells.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:07 AM   #18
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Razor View Post
When I wash my truck, I always hose off the wheel wells. Then I get in there with a long handled scrub brush to clean them up. I do this while cleaning the wheels.

When I am all done washing, I spray black magic tire shine in the wheel wells. Sometimes I'll let it sit for a while, then go back with an old rag a wipe up the excess.

Nothing uglier than a clean truck with dirty wheel wells.
You are an extremly intelligent person.

Glad to know someone else out there has sense.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #19
gonzo6up has a spectacular aura aboutgonzo6up has a spectacular aura about

gonzo6up's Tacoma Gallery
i like to use either super clean or bleach white and then pressure wash them out. After i start detailing and spraying tire shine i will cover the fender wells and anyhting else visible underneath with WD-40 and it seems to make mud and dirt not stick as bad next time.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #20
Carolina Alliance
tarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
tarheelfan_08's Tacoma Gallery
I use purple power!(I think thats the name) You just spray it on, let it sit for 30 sec, and wipe away! The wheel will look brand new! If its really dirty you may have to do it 2 or 3 times and then wash after!