Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

De-badging/Painting badges/ Re-badging

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #281
Where the Grass is Green
HumboldtReign is on a distinguished road
HumboldtReign's Tacoma Gallery
Debadged mine and painted them black and stuck em back on, worked out great!

Couple things i would recommend:

-I used a heat gun compared to blow dryer. Im spoiled because i have access to one at work, but for those who can get one id recommend it, super quick!

-I used an auto detailing rubbing compound to get the adhesive off the truck. I tried Goo Gone, didnt work (or it did but i'd have been there all day!), i also tried using Solvent, didnt work. So then i tried the rubbing compound and it came off in less than 3 seconds!

-Most importantly what i found, was that it would be wise to wash the emblems, let them dry, and then put the tape on the badges before painting them. I found that when i tried to put the tape on after i painted the badges, i had to re-spray a coat after i was done cuz i scuffed up the paint in the process when i had the badges flipped over on the counter. Maybe i could have been less careless but after a quick spray (for a 4th coat) it turned out great!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #282
DENVERtacoManiac is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
DENVERtacoManiac's Tacoma Gallery
thanks man nice how to

just did it now waiting for the paint to dry to stick them back on there
everything went swimmingly...so far
Old 03-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #283
NetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud of

Army:
Name: Tim
NetDep's Tacoma Gallery
Hope I don't step on anyone's toes here but I have two questions. I recently went black badging/front emblem and really like it. I also did the de-decal for the TRD off road and like it as well. Will post pics when there is some nice weather. On to my questions:

1) Has anyone removed the Toyota emblem on the steering wheel (horn ring) and shot it black? How did you get it off? How is it stuck? Is it the same process as the other?

2) I debadged the LEER canopy - the letters on the BACK came off with the hairdryer and some elbow grease and goo-gone took care of the rest. Has anyone taken off, or tried to take off, the emblems on the side? The appear to be set into the plexiglass (or whatever it is) on the body and wondered if anyone took them off or filled in with some substance and then painted over.

Any help is appreciated - thanks and I did try to search for these but very little luck.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #285
NetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud of

Army:
Name: Tim
NetDep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
Thanks!!!
Old 05-30-2012, 01:03 AM   #286
Super Taco24 is on a distinguished road

Super Taco24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtReign View Post
Debadged mine and painted them black and stuck em back on, worked out great!

-Most importantly what i found, was that it would be wise to wash the emblems, let them dry, and then put the tape on the badges before painting them. I found that when i tried to put the tape on after i painted the badges, i had to re-spray a coat after i was done cuz i scuffed up the paint in the process when i had the badges flipped over on the counter. Maybe i could have been less careless but after a quick spray (for a 4th coat) it turned out great!
I had/have the same problem...I painted them all nice and the put on the 3M automotive tape on it even on a foam "yoga" mat and it scuffed the edges and was very careful.

I am going to re-spray it with the black and give it a few coats of the clear.
I did not use the adhesive spray but did clean them real good and took the oil off, I used Krylon Fusion since it said no priming. Should I take it off and spray it with the adhesive, can I spray the adhesive over pain & clear.

Now I am prepared for my tailgate.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #287
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
TRD6Speed's Tacoma Gallery
Doing this now to my tailgate badges.......I removed the side badges and buffed the shadow out.....I like the clean look on the doors. I am re-badging the taligate however.

Just my way of doing this.....I dont use the promoter......krylon is made for plastic so I just use that......but I do clearcoat it with satin. I let that dry real good after the last coat. I did this on my front emblem to try and protect it from rock debris and chips. Seeing that the tailgate wont be getting hit they should hold up nice.

The removal is nice and easy even on my 08. A good heat will soften the glue right up......also if most of the glue stays on the truck like mine did I simply just used my fingers to take it off....if you have dainty fngers then this maybe wont be ur cup of tea....I found that the goo gone softended it up too much and made it slippery. When i left it dry this go around on the tailgait it came off in about 5 min....all of the emblems. Then I went after the residue with the goo gone.....then if you want to use some compound. Im leaving some of the shadow to see where to put them back on. Even though I taped it I still want to see exactly where to line them up.

Nice write up....made it a cinch.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #288
yota828 is on a distinguished road

yota828's Tacoma Gallery
how do yall think spraying them with bedliner spray wld do?
Old 09-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #289
Rich
Dirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Rich
Dirty Jersey's Tacoma Gallery
The nameplate 3m tape is made just for auto badges but that stuff I'm sure is just as good. It's probably the same exact thing with a different label so they can market it different. OP you did a real nice W.U. And and great job on the mod. Kudos
Old 11-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #290
rossivey is on a distinguished road
rossivey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota828 View Post
how do yall think spraying them with bedliner spray wld do?
I'm going to try the bedliner this weekend if I get to it. Badges are off and cleaned but I just have to get around to painting them. I'm going to paint them black first to ensure all the chrome is covered because I don't think I can get in between the letters with the bedliner without spraying in on too thick.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #291
So Cal Edition
SWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Name: Greg
SWCCBEE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
This is my first DIY thread so I hope this is helpful to everyone...

DE-BADGING:

To debadge the taco you need a few things...

Fishing Line I used 6 lbs. test
Blow Dryer
Goo-Gone
Windex

1. I cut the line into about 3 ft lengths.

2. I heated up a section of the badge. I kept heating the spot till when I touched the metal I couldn't keep my finger on the door for more than a few seconds without discomfort.

3. Take the cut line and run it along the back of the badge. I used a sawing motion which helped out a lot. When the fishing line broke I knew that I had reached a section of the badge that needed to be heated up.

Then just repeat step 2 and 3 till the badge comes off.

Then with the goo gone spray the stuff left over that is stuck to the door. Using your finger nail scratch the stuff off. Then spray the goo gone again and using a rag and elbow grease get the residue off.

Finally I just used windex and sprayed the area instead of waxing the area like some people do.

To paint the taco badges...
DON'T TRY AND PAINT THEM WITH THEM ON THE TRUCK!!!!!! IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!!

That being said you need to first debadge the vehicle and get these materials...

The first can is adhesion promoter. It makes a chemical reaction with the plastic badges so that the paint will have an easier time sticking to the surface. I did 2 coats of that waiting about 2 minutes between the coats. (Basically just follow the instructions on the back on how to use it)

The second can is Krylon Fusion paint for plastic. This can is black but it comes in tons of colors. I did about 3-4 coats of this. Waiting about 2 minutes between coats. (Basically just follow the instructions on the back on how to use it)

The third is Goo-Gone which is what I talked about in the debadging section but you don't use it for painting.

The procedure for painting is...

1. Remove badges and wash them. I just put them in a bucket of water with car wash in it.

2. Spray adhesion promoter. (2-3 coats) Wait 5 minute before next step

3. Spray paint the badges. (3-4 coats) Wait 15-20 minutes before touching and rebadging.
Did my tailgate this evening. After using fishing line/heat to get them off, I got most of the glue crap off with hands and Goo-gone but there is still like an outline around where the badges were. What is the best way to get them off? Any help? I'll post pics tomorrow. Its 1249 am Thursday here.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #292
IG/Twitter: mntnbikerbw
mntnbikerbw is just really nicemntnbikerbw is just really nicemntnbikerbw is just really nicemntnbikerbw is just really nicemntnbikerbw is just really nice

Army: Retired after 20 years.
Name: Bill
mntnbikerbw's Tacoma Gallery
This is a great write-up! Thanks for posting it.

Later.

Products Discussed in this Thread