Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

De-badging/Painting badges/ Re-badging

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
De-badging/Painting badges/ Re-badging

This is my first DIY thread so I hope this is helpful to everyone...

DE-BADGING:

To debadge the taco you need a few things...

Fishing Line I used 6 lbs. test
Blow Dryer
Goo-Gone
Windex

1. I cut the line into about 3 ft lengths.

2. I heated up a section of the badge. I kept heating the spot till when I touched the metal I couldn't keep my finger on the door for more than a few seconds without discomfort.

3. Take the cut line and run it along the back of the badge. I used a sawing motion which helped out a lot. When the fishing line broke I knew that I had reached a section of the badge that needed to be heated up.

Then just repeat step 2 and 3 till the badge comes off.

Then with the goo gone spray the stuff left over that is stuck to the door. Using your finger nail scratch the stuff off. Then spray the goo gone again and using a rag and elbow grease get the residue off.

Finally I just used windex and sprayed the area instead of waxing the area like some people do.

To paint the taco badges...
DON'T TRY AND PAINT THEM WITH THEM ON THE TRUCK!!!!!! IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!!

That being said you need to first debadge the vehicle and get these materials...

The first can is adhesion promoter. It makes a chemical reaction with the plastic badges so that the paint will have an easier time sticking to the surface. I did 2 coats of that waiting about 2 minutes between the coats. (Basically just follow the instructions on the back on how to use it)

The second can is Krylon Fusion paint for plastic. This can is black but it comes in tons of colors. I did about 3-4 coats of this. Waiting about 2 minutes between coats. (Basically just follow the instructions on the back on how to use it)

The third is Goo-Gone which is what I talked about in the debadging section but you don't use it for painting.

The procedure for painting is...

1. Remove badges and wash them. I just put them in a bucket of water with car wash in it.

2. Spray adhesion promoter. (2-3 coats) Wait 5 minute before next step

3. Spray paint the badges. (3-4 coats) Wait 15-20 minutes before touching and rebadging.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
NOW RE-BADGING

To rebadge you need...
Windex
towels
double sided tape
razor blade or knife to cut tape

Procedure...

1. Cut tape. I actually cut the tape in the shape of the letters. That might have been over kill. You could probably just cut strips. Leave back on tape.

2. Windex the spot that you want to put the badge.

3. Stick it on. I guess you could use a level or something but I just eyed it up and it turned out fine.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write-up! I'd like to do this with my badges.

Mike
Old 09-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
What about putting some masking tape on the truck around the decals before removing them, so you know where to stick them when you're done?
Old 09-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCo View Post
What about putting some masking tape on the truck around the decals before removing them, so you know where to stick them when you're done?
You can do that. I actually took a picture before and looked at that. Both might work. The tape could come off with the goo-gone however.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up.... I will be doing this SOON
Old 09-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
Taco969 will become famous soon enoughTaco969 will become famous soon enough

Air Force: AFE
Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice write-up. I just did my 08 silver d-cab today. Painted them speedway blue as I am going with a blue them with the silver. IMO I really like it and thats what matters on my truck!! haha. I will get some pics of it as soon as the wife gets back in town with the camera..
Old 09-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #10

Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I used 3m name plate tape, it worked excellent
Old 09-14-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up!!! the adhesion promoter is some really good stuff. thats what i used when i painted my emblems, and the black duplicolor i used has stayed on really well.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #12
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Not to be greedy but I thought this might make a good sticky

Just a thought
Old 09-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #13

Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
You already did, I can't give it again
Old 09-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #14
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco969 View Post
Yeah, I used 3m name plate tape, it worked excellent
What does this stuff look like?
Old 09-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #15
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
That turned out awsome, Might have to consider that myself
Old 09-14-2008, 04:36 PM   #16
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver07taco View Post
That turned out awsome, Might have to consider that myself
Thanks. It's really easy. I am a whimp when it comes to moding. I am always afraid I am going to screw things up but if I didn't screw it up then it has to be easy.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #17
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by socolax91 View Post
Thanks. It's really easy. I am a whimp when it comes to moding. I am always afraid I am going to screw things up but if I didn't screw it up then it has to be easy.
HAHA, Ive screwed up many of time moding my taco, But thats part of being human, I am goin to have to give it a try.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #18
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey05Taco View Post
What does this stuff look like?
This is the exact stuff. I got it at home depot...

Old 09-15-2008, 08:05 AM   #19
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socolax91 View Post
This is the exact stuff. I got it at home depot...

Will you be able to see the red behind it?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #20
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey05Taco View Post
Will you be able to see the red behind it?
the red is just a plastic backing, and it peels off.

Products Discussed in this Thread