Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Pressure Washer

Old 09-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Question Pressure Washer

Im thinking of buying a multipurpose pressure water washer about 1300-1500 psi, are those any good?? i want it to wash and rinse the truck, wheel wells, wheels, bed, all those corners that get soaked with mud and stuff, and also for rinsing after wash, is that max pressure ok? or i need more or less, would that damage the paint? also what brands you recomend?
Old 09-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
We have a pressure washer but I don't use it on the truck. It just seems way too powerful and could cause damage. I mean...I don't have any real-time numbers but it just seems more powerful than the ones at the car washes.

I use it to clean the patio concrete and it'll rip the concrete up if you have a small crack in it....
Old 09-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ouch, thanks for your reply, well i guess there must be one that has adjustable psi? i see some that are home use, maybe yours is more commercial industrial kind??
Old 09-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
tdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the rough

tdm156's Tacoma Gallery
Part of it depends on how close you have the nozzle to the paint too. I have used them on other vehicles in the past and got up close with the caked on mud but would back off when it come to the body panels....well that is once the mud that was caked on there came off. If your smart with your use I think you would be fine.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
Ed,
If you are looking at those electric ones from the Depot or Lowe's, they are fine to use on a vehicle, providing you don't stay in one spot too long. The lowest psi electric one is comparable to a do it yourself car wash sprayer.

The one Janster is referring to is probably a gas powered washer. I have one of those, a 3200 psi one I got from the Depot. I sometimes use it on the vehicles, but I stand about 8' away and only sparingly.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
LL7 is a jewel in the roughLL7 is a jewel in the roughLL7 is a jewel in the roughLL7 is a jewel in the rough
LL7's Tacoma Gallery
The electric one (1500psi) I have works fine and hasn't damaged the paint on any car I have used it on.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #7

Thanks everybody for your inputs, its a lot of help!
Old 09-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #8
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

it's in coma's Tacoma Gallery
i only use it for the wheel wells, rims and tires... i think that is actually all you need it for. and yes, if i were you i would get one, no more scrubbing tires or rims.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by it's in coma View Post
i only use it for the wheel wells, rims and tires... i think that is actually all you need it for. and yes, if i were you i would get one, no more scrubbing tires or rims.
yea its a lot of time scrubbing them!!
Old 09-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #10
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

it's in coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
yea its a lot of time scrubbing them!!
yeah, especially when one is anal and want the letters super white...
Old 09-14-2008, 05:38 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedirt View Post
Ed,.

The one Janster is referring to is probably a gas powered washer..
Correct!
It's a home-depot/Lows (cant' remember) Camble Hausfield variety (or however you spell that).
Old 09-14-2008, 05:54 AM   #12
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
MurphMan's Tacoma Gallery
Great investment. Been using them for years. As long as you keep it on the fan pattern spray and don't hit paint at less than a foot for too long, you'll be fine. They are great for really cleaning out wheel wells, rims, the bed, as well as gentle rinsing off the soap. Where I wouldn't use it is in the engine compartment. You can force water into places that may cause problems. I use mine on my truck, car, bike, decks, house, driveway, and the boats when they come out of the water. You'll be surprised how often you fire it up after you buy one as there is many uses for one around the house.

Quote:
Im thinking of buying a multipurpose pressure water washer about 1300-1500 psi, are those any good?? i want it to wash and rinse the truck, wheel wells, wheels, bed, all those corners that get soaked with mud and stuff, and also for rinsing after wash, is that max pressure ok? or i need more or less, would that damage the paint? also what brands you recomend?
Old 09-14-2008, 03:53 PM   #13

Well, i went to the home depot today, i found a small 1400 psi koblenz pressure washer, is very powerful yet gentle, i used to wash the truck very handy, thanks all for the inputs!
Old 09-15-2008, 12:49 PM   #14
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, i went to the home depot today, i found a small 1400 psi koblenz pressure washer, is very powerful yet gentle, i used to wash the truck very handy, thanks all for the inputs!
Glad to be of assistance.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #15
red06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to behold

red06toy's Tacoma Gallery
We just bought a Karcher, supposedly these are the best. 6 hp honda motor 3000psi. When buying a power washer the engine is not as important as the pump. We used this to power washthe house (3 story victorian) and it did a great job. Has a container and pump for your chemicals.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #16

Yeah those karcher's are good, but 3000 psi seems a lot for washing the truck... but its good for concrete and other stuff...
Old 09-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #17
red06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to behold

red06toy's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i wont use it on the truck, it has a nozzle that is spread wide, might use it on undercarrage. I was dropping off my leaf blower at the shop i go to, they had a nice husquavarna 1700psi. didnt see the price tho.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #18
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
GPM (gallons per minute) is very important as well as the PSI rating. IMO, 2500 @ 3.0 GPM is just about perfect for washing vehicles. a higher GPM rating really helps to clear the mud (if you offroad). also look for a pump that is not "direct drive"...that is...the pump is directly attached to the motor. try to find one that either has a gear reduction box, or is belt driven. the direct drive models (gasoline anyways) have to run at a high RPM to be at their rated output, where a gear reducer or belt & pulley drive can be adjusted to spin the pump at 100%, while the motor runs at 65 - 75%. the pump should also have a re-buildable unloader. most of the "homeowner" models do not have a separate unloading valve, so if it goes bad...you have to replace the entire pump head assembly(much more expensive...usually nearly as much as a new washer). make sure when replacing tips to get the propper orifice size, otherwise you'll either blow out you pump packings(too small) or have no pressure (too big)

lastly-- if you do not store your washer in a heated area during winter...make sure you get all the water out of the pump before storing. windshield washer fluid makes a nice winterizer. good idea to use Sta-bil or drain the tank for long storage on gasoline powered models.

just some things i have learned from our mechanics here at work.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #19
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I used my dad's 6 HP sears 2500 PSI pressure washer to clean our house last night. We painted a few color samples on the brick and it took that off pretty easy.

I think I might buy a cheap pressure washer to work on the truck.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #20

I washed the truck yesterday, the pressure washer works great on wheel wells and the bed.... i also used the spray pattern to take the bugs of the front...