1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3M protection for hood,fenders ect..

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Night, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Mar 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    Night

Night [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    I was wondering if anyone had experience in this field. I got 2 prices one from Car Pretty, local detail shop and my dealership.

Dealership price was 585$ CAD with bumper done.

Car Pretty was 305$ Cad with bumper done.

I asked the dealership if there was a difference between the two and they said that it was a lower grade and would fade and such.

I don't know what really to do, because I don't want junk but I also don't wanna pay out more than a exhaust system and an air intake.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. Mar 19, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    You talking clear bra?

3. Mar 19, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    Night

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    Yea bra.

4. Mar 19, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    Night

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Sorry for double post, internet cut out and I didn't think my post went through.

5. Mar 19, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Well I've never really heard of fading being an issue as clear bra / paint protection film is clear. If you put it on a white car, you might see some yellowing after a couple years, but I hear if you clean it Plexus (plastic cleaner) it clears right up.

I'd find the exact brand of product they use and then work off of that. I would guess the dealer actually has no idea what he's telling you. Also ask about warranties. A good installer is going to guarantee the product not to crack, peel or yellow over the life of the vehicle. And in the end, it's all about the quality of the install.

The only thing I don't like about them is I use the self-serve car wash, which is a high pressure rinse. And high pressure too close to the edges of the clear bra can cause it to peel. That wouldn't be covered under warranty.

6. Mar 19, 2011 at 9:33 PM
    Night

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Thanks for the help. I will ask the dealership and the car pretty and see what warranty is.

Products Discussed in

To Top