Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Wash and Wax

Old 05-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
Ranger3 is on a distinguished road
Ranger3's Tacoma Gallery
Wash and Wax

Ive heard a rumor that washing with soap, and/ or waxing a new car will ruin the clear coat. Is there any truth to that, or do you think its okay for me to wash my truck (other than just using a sponge and water?)
Old 05-09-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
nah, it isnt gonna hurt it at all! not saying to wax it just yet, but honestly, i doubt it would hurt it if ya did!! keep it shining!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
Ranger3 is on a distinguished road
Ranger3's Tacoma Gallery
Hey tacomaman, thanks. I went with just cold water that last time, but it brought up another issue; my first Black vehicle, I love the color, but water spots everywhere... Im guessing a chamis?
Old 05-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yeah man, always use chamois and microfiber...as these wont scratch your paint and just a little tip....use hot water(i get it as hot as i can stand it) for washing, then rinse with cold......you will see a difference in the way it cleans!!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger3 View Post
Ive heard a rumor that washing with soap, and/ or waxing a new car will ruin the clear coat. Is there any truth to that, or do you think its okay for me to wash my truck (other than just using a sponge and water?)
I wouldn't use dish washing soap (strips the wax). Use a made for auto detergent like Armor All Car Wash.

Used to be wait at least 30 days to wax a new clean car. These days the paint is cured to fast in heat ovens therefore the brittle paint we all complain about. Any good quality, clear coat safe, wax or polymer sealer will work. I prefer Wizard's products.

California blades and Absorb All to dry a washed car.
Wizard's "Shinemaster" for waxing and polishing using microfiber pads & towels to apply & remove the wax.
California dusters, Lg. and Sm. to remove the dust off a clean car without scratching the paint.
microfiber towels and non ammonnia glass cleaner on tinted window film and the dash gauges to prevent damage and scratches.
Armor All Tire Shine or Wizard's vinyl cleaner on the tires. Comet bleach on a brush if the tires and letters are really dirty.
I'm no pro, but I am damn picky and this works for me
Old 04-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Don't ever use regular soap to wash your car, you'll just be stripping the wax off. To wipe the water dry, use a quality waffle-weave microfiber towel, it won't scratch the clear coat. Don't buy that crap from Wal-Mart, Target. etc. I suggest getting some from here: http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-106-w...ing-towel.aspx

These guys sell quality products. You can PM "pb2themax" about their products, great stuff.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #7
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
You can wash and wax your paint the same day that you drive the car off the lot. The paint is cured. The only time you should wait to wax your paint is if your car has had local paint and bodywork done. Talk to the body shop about when you can wax.

Get rid of the old wash brush and terry cloth towels. They'll swirl your paint. Get some good car wash soap, wash mitt, and waffle weave microfiber drying towel.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
Buffalofan is on a distinguished road

Buffalofan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
yeah man, always use chamois and microfiber...as these wont scratch your paint and just a little tip....use hot water(i get it as hot as i can stand it) for washing, then rinse with cold......you will see a difference in the way it cleans!!

I have heard that a real chamois strips the wax. Is that true?
Old 05-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Tacomaman!! I thought I was the only one who used hot water and no soap! Been doing it for years! The hot water actually rejuvinates the polymers in your finish (look at my pics gallery) I do NOT have clear coat. I use a sealer called Klasse which I discovered at a Porsche/Caddilac dealer way back in the 80's...apply it every 4 months. Soap never touched this truck
Old 05-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalofan View Post
I have heard that a real chamois strips the wax. Is that true?
i dont think so.......i have never had a problem with it.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Hey Tacomaman!! I thought I was the only one who used hot water and no soap! Been doing it for years! The hot water actually rejuvinates the polymers in your finish (look at my pics gallery) I do NOT have clear coat. I use a sealer called Klasse which I discovered at a Porsche/Caddilac dealer way back in the 80's...apply it every 4 months. Soap never touched this truck
i actually use hot water WITH a carwash soap.........i like to use turtle wax ice wash, but i like meguiars and mothers a litle better. hot water does the trick though, thats for sure.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
Slvr_DblTaco is on a distinguished road

Slvr_DblTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Guys, check out this stuff - it made my 8 year old Volvo gleam!!!

HD-Cleanse = works just like a clay bar, but in liquid form. Amazing results from very little effort. (http://www.zymol.com/zymolhd-cleanse85oz.aspx) - but it is not cheap $26 per bottle... but the bottle should last for 8 or 9 uses.

Then switch over to Zaino Bros. Wax/sealants - agian, great stuff, little effort for big results. (http://www.zainostore.com/)

your paint will feel slick when you're done - I love this combo = I got it from one of the IT guys here at the office.

Spend a few hours on the paint, it's worth it!
Enjoy!
Bob
Old 05-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr_DblTaco View Post
Guys, check out this stuff - it made my 8 year old Volvo gleam!!!

HD-Cleanse = works just like a clay bar, but in liquid form. Amazing results from very little effort. (http://www.zymol.com/zymolhd-cleanse85oz.aspx) - but it is not cheap $26 per bottle... but the bottle should last for 8 or 9 uses.

Then switch over to Zaino Bros. Wax/sealants - agian, great stuff, little effort for big results. (http://www.zainostore.com/)

your paint will feel slick when you're done - I love this combo = I got it from one of the IT guys here at the office.

Spend a few hours on the paint, it's worth it!
Enjoy!
Bob
What does it mean about not driving or letting the car sit more than 24 hour without finishing the process? Is it just the instructions listed or something else?
Old 05-05-2008, 04:27 PM   #14

Quote:
That seems weird that you have never used soap. If it works for you great.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #15
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Buffalofan- yup-when you keep every inch of surface covered with a good poly sealant like I do, NOTHING will stick that plain hot water won't remove. That's me though-I'm a nut with the wax. Even car soap will hurry the degradation of a sealant. Those alloy rims on my truck have that microknobby surface that, if you stay on them, nothing will build up on them.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Hey Buffalofan- yup-when you keep every inch of surface covered with a good poly sealant like I do, NOTHING will stick that plain hot water won't remove. That's me though-I'm a nut with the wax. Even car soap will hurry the degradation of a sealant. Those alloy rims on my truck have that microknobby surface that, if you stay on them, nothing will build up on them.
speaking of wheels, im gonna get one of those mothers powerball mini's.........they should be really good for polishing and waxing wheels.