1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Washington State to impose car washing ban

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Jester243, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Sep 23, 2008 at 7:49 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 [OP] all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    I saw this on a local TV site. http://www.kxly.com/

"Washington State to impose car washing ban

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 06:05 PM PDT
    Updated: Sep 22, 2008 07:02 PM PDT
    SPOKANE -- Believe it or not the state of Washington has now declared washing your car in your driveway harmful.
    Officials are citing that washing your car in your driveway is harmful, according to the state Department of Ecology, because all the chemicals, oil, dirt and soap that was on your car was getting flushed down into the state's waterways and eventually back to people's drinking water.
    The state is looking for cities and counties to reduce what flows into their storm drains in an effort to keep the state's waterways clean and right now Spokane is on a five-year plan to meet certain storm water regulations.
    One way of doing that is reducing certain types of run off like the soapy residue that comes from washing your car at your home.
    Right now in the city of Spokane there is a regulation that only storm water should flow into the storm drains, but the regulation is not backed up by any enforcement. The city is working to figure out just how they're going to enforce the new regulations.
    City officials anticipate releasing more information on storm water run off enforcement within the next year or so."

The last time I used an automated car wash was about two weeks ago and it was $10. I really don't want to have to pay every week to wash my truck :(. Are there any other states with a law like this and if so is it enforced?

-Dan

2. Sep 23, 2008 at 8:02 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    ya know-THIS shows you what BONEHEADS they are! Do you have any idea how much acidic and chemical badness accumulates on even the street you live on...over a long dry period-then a good rain comes along and agitates all that stuff loose and rushes it all into the "storm drain" anyway. Any amount of washing of your car is NOT even close to that! If anything, the soap you use tends to neutralize the acids and dirt coming off your car-then the soap biodegrades anyway-so WTF???? These guys are out of line with this! Just another F/U to the working class folks!

3. Sep 23, 2008 at 8:05 AM
    camsbored

camsbored Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC/Sport/LB
    Kenwood DNX8120, Homelink mirror, Valentine One hardwire
    We usually have restrictions like this too, but it's because of drought. If we go for a week without rain a state of emergency is declared, watering lawns is banned, washing cars is banned, and serving water in restaurants without explicitly asking for it is banned!

All this to say... yea, it sucks.

4. Oct 2, 2008 at 2:10 PM
    SeaPig

SeaPig Member

Member:
    Longbranch, Washington
    Vehicle:
    '04 2WD Tacoma
    None yet
    I detail as a hobby and I can tell you that you REALLY do not want to run your truck through an automated car wash. Minus the expense, it is really hard on the paint. Swirls, spider webs, the whole nine yards.
    I live in Washington State also, and they are always coming up with some new stupid rule like this one.
    ~Mike~

5. Oct 10, 2008 at 6:45 AM
    smokey28723

smokey28723 Member

Member:
    Cullowhee
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    ARE Camper
    There is a local car wash in town stating they recycle their water. When I seen the sign, I asked the owner how this works. All of the water they use is recycled and they add chemicals to clean up the water. He said on Monday's when they open up, the water really stinks, so they add clorox to disipate the smell. I really don't want to take my truck to this car wash after talking to him.

6. Oct 10, 2008 at 7:23 AM
    kristopherl

kristopherl AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    SERIOUSLY!!! people get paid for this shit! About the dumbest study ever! Where did the dirt come from that you are washing off your car? FROM THE STREET! where does the water go when it rains on the street. IN YOUR DRINKING WATER!

Conclusion.... Ban all automobiles.... YEAH RIGHT!

Or maybe we need to spend billions of dollars on street steam cleaning vacuum trucks and clean the streets ever couple days then clean all the water before dumping it in the drain.

COME ON!! What idiots

7. Oct 14, 2008 at 10:50 AM
    hate2work

hate2work Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    06 standard cab
    I started using a product called Spray on Car Wash from Griot's Garage.

I was skeptical at first, but it works really well. Just spray it on, and wipe it off. I bought the kit that comes with some special cleaning rags, I think it was $29.95.

Yeah, never use a commercial carwash. It's like having your oil changed at a quikie lube place, much better to do it yourself. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top