Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Washington State to impose car washing ban

Old 09-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Washington State to impose car washing ban

I saw this on a local TV site. http://www.kxly.com/

"Washington State to impose car washing ban

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 06:05 PM PDT
Updated: Sep 22, 2008 07:02 PM PDT
SPOKANE -- Believe it or not the state of Washington has now declared washing your car in your driveway harmful.
Officials are citing that washing your car in your driveway is harmful, according to the state Department of Ecology, because all the chemicals, oil, dirt and soap that was on your car was getting flushed down into the state's waterways and eventually back to people's drinking water.
The state is looking for cities and counties to reduce what flows into their storm drains in an effort to keep the state's waterways clean and right now Spokane is on a five-year plan to meet certain storm water regulations.
One way of doing that is reducing certain types of run off like the soapy residue that comes from washing your car at your home.
Right now in the city of Spokane there is a regulation that only storm water should flow into the storm drains, but the regulation is not backed up by any enforcement. The city is working to figure out just how they're going to enforce the new regulations.
City officials anticipate releasing more information on storm water run off enforcement within the next year or so."

The last time I used an automated car wash was about two weeks ago and it was $10. I really don't want to have to pay every week to wash my truck . Are there any other states with a law like this and if so is it enforced?

-Dan
Old 09-23-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
ya know-THIS shows you what BONEHEADS they are! Do you have any idea how much acidic and chemical badness accumulates on even the street you live on...over a long dry period-then a good rain comes along and agitates all that stuff loose and rushes it all into the "storm drain" anyway. Any amount of washing of your car is NOT even close to that! If anything, the soap you use tends to neutralize the acids and dirt coming off your car-then the soap biodegrades anyway-so WTF???? These guys are out of line with this! Just another F/U to the working class folks!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
camsbored has a spectacular aura aboutcamsbored has a spectacular aura aboutcamsbored has a spectacular aura about

camsbored's Tacoma Gallery
We usually have restrictions like this too, but it's because of drought. If we go for a week without rain a state of emergency is declared, watering lawns is banned, washing cars is banned, and serving water in restaurants without explicitly asking for it is banned!

All this to say... yea, it sucks.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
SeaPig is on a distinguished road
Army: SF Communications Sergeant
SeaPig's Tacoma Gallery
I detail as a hobby and I can tell you that you REALLY do not want to run your truck through an automated car wash. Minus the expense, it is really hard on the paint. Swirls, spider webs, the whole nine yards.
I live in Washington State also, and they are always coming up with some new stupid rule like this one.
~Mike~
Old 10-10-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
smokey28723 is on a distinguished road
smokey28723's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaPig View Post
I detail as a hobby and I can tell you that you REALLY do not want to run your truck through an automated car wash. Minus the expense, it is really hard on the paint. Swirls, spider webs, the whole nine yards.
I live in Washington State also, and they are always coming up with some new stupid rule like this one.
~Mike~
There is a local car wash in town stating they recycle their water. When I seen the sign, I asked the owner how this works. All of the water they use is recycled and they add chemicals to clean up the water. He said on Monday's when they open up, the water really stinks, so they add clorox to disipate the smell. I really don't want to take my truck to this car wash after talking to him.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
SERIOUSLY!!! people get paid for this shit! About the dumbest study ever! Where did the dirt come from that you are washing off your car? FROM THE STREET! where does the water go when it rains on the street. IN YOUR DRINKING WATER!

Conclusion.... Ban all automobiles.... YEAH RIGHT!

Or maybe we need to spend billions of dollars on street steam cleaning vacuum trucks and clean the streets ever couple days then clean all the water before dumping it in the drain.

COME ON!! What idiots
Old 10-14-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
hate2work will become famous soon enoughhate2work will become famous soon enough
hate2work's Tacoma Gallery
I started using a product called Spray on Car Wash from Griot's Garage.

I was skeptical at first, but it works really well. Just spray it on, and wipe it off. I bought the kit that comes with some special cleaning rags, I think it was $29.95.

Yeah, never use a commercial carwash. It's like having your oil changed at a quikie lube place, much better to do it yourself.