Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

clear coat

Old 04-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
bigdaddytaco is on a distinguished road
Name: jared
bigdaddytaco's Tacoma Gallery
clear coat

if i use a spray on clear coat for my touch up paint will it blend with my regular paint or will it look different
Old 04-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
all the times that i have tried to blend in, i have never had good luck with touch up.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
dam i may just use the touch up paint
Old 04-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
yea..I too never had luck. Just use the touch up.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary
VanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
VanillaGorilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA TRD View Post
yea..I too never had luck. Just use the touch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superx2 View Post
all the times that i have tried to blend in, i have never had good luck with touch up.

Same story here. If you do try and have good luck, share your secret.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
If it's the lil brush on touch up from the dealer, it should have the clear coat inbedded in it already. If it's a spray from pep boys or ect then good luck blending if ya never done it before. It's trial n error, lots of practice to get it right. So of it's just a lil scratch, forget the clear coat. If you're repainting a fender, then it's prime, sand, prime, paint, paint, clear coat, clear coat, buff, clearcoat, buff, buff
Old 04-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
any advice on using touch up paint for small chips in the paint
Old 04-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
any body got any pics of using touch up paint
Old 04-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately using touch up will never look very good. But it is good preventative maintenance, as it will prevent rust. So, it's ugly, but at least it's not rusting out on ya.

Spray-can clear coat will not look good on your car. Rattle-can clear has a tenancy to yellow when dry, and it just isn't near the same quality of a product as what is on your vehicle.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
I did the touch up paint wit the lil brush on a 04 black tacoma that got egged. the impact of the egg left like a shatter effect on the paint. When I did the touch up my steps were mostly common sense. Ya gotta clean the area to be touched up. Best to start with some soap and water, then be sure to dry. Then to be sure it is super clen hit the area up with a white rag and some rubbing alchohol. After good n dry thenm it's time to touch up. Best is in direct sunlight on a warm day. Just barely touch the area with the brush to get it on good. You should practice on an inconspicuous spot for safety. Just think of a chick painting her nails, just a lil more delicately. After I did it to the affore mentioned black one, you needed a magnifyng glass to tell where it was touched up. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
once i use touch up pant how long till i can wax
Old 04-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #13
ok so you did have good results because i have black metal showing on a white truck and im think about any thing will look better than that
Old 04-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #14

Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddytaco View Post
ok so you did have good results because i have black metal showing on a white truck and im think about any thing will look better than that

Better than having no paint I guess. Forgot to mention, if there is any rust present, ya need to get rid of it before painting. Lots a different ways to do that, from chemicals to sand paper. Yeah my job came out good.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #15
no rust not yet thank god thats why im in a hurry did you have chips or scratches
Old 04-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #17
ya thats what i have is some chips what is the secret to getting it to look good
Old 04-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #19
ok thanks man